Special Forces soldier denied Medal of Honor suggests system may be 'broken' | MassCops

Special Forces soldier denied Medal of Honor suggests system may be 'broken'

Discussion in 'Military News' started by kwflatbed, Jun 29, 2016.

1. kwflatbed

kwflatbed MassCops Angel Staff Member

Special Forces soldier denied Medal of Honor suggests system may be 'broken'
    Published June 29, 2016
    FoxNews.com
    Facebook69 Twitter218 livefyre1298 Email Print

[​IMG]
    Green Beret Sgt. 1st Class Earl Plumlee, right, receiving the Silver Star in 2015. (U.S. Army photo)

A Green Beret credited with fighting off Taliban attackers in Afghanistan spoke out Monday in his first interview since the Army denied his commanders' recommendation for a Medal of Honor, awarding him a Silver Star instead.

"I kind of have a lot of trust in the system, but if somebody says it’s broken, maybe it is," Staff Sgt. Earl D. Plumlee told The Washington Post. "But I'm always leery of decisions like this getting reversed."

He said senior commanders in Afghanistan -- including Marine Gen. Joseph Dunford, now Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff -- wrote that he deserved the Medal of Honor, but the Army's Senior Decorations Board recommended the Silver Star, an award considered two levels lower. Army Secretary John McHugh approved the Silver Star.

Plumlee rushed to the site of a car bombing outside a coalition military base in central Afghanistan in the summer of 2013, the Post reported. As many as 10 armed Taliban attackers reportedly tried storming Forward Operating Base Ghazni through a damaged wall. At least one attacker detonated a suicide vest.

Troops including Plumlee returned fire. One soldier died and other troops were injured, the newspaper added. Plumlee said he later helped the wounded receive medical aid.

Other troops received Silver Stars, including a posthumous award for Staff Sgt. Michael Ollis, who died in the attack.

Special Forces soldier denied Medal of Honor suggests system may be 'broken' | Fox News

2. JD02124

JD02124 Supporting Member

Of course the system is broken! They give out bronze stars to people that never even left the base other than when to go on leave but yet it takes months for guys I deployed with to get their purple hearts.…

Goose, Danusmc0321 and Fuzzywuzzy like this.
  3. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

I give credit to ANYONE who enlists and thank God for them. All should get some kind of award, but some most assuredly deserve much more. Sounds like this man does.