Southland (Caution! Spoiler Alert) | Page 15 | MassCops

Southland (Caution! Spoiler Alert)

Discussion in 'Entertainment & Literature' started by Big.G, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Hush

Hush Moderator Staff Member

In the beginning he was cleaning his duty glock and what looked like a s&w 3913. The gun recovered looked like black frame/silver slide. They made a deliberate point not to show the shooting.
    Didn't know how to interpret Liu tossing the orange tip at Cooper. Was it "Fuck you, do something" or "I'm over my head, help me"
    Glad Sammy made it.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

fra444 likes this.
  2. niteowl1970

niteowl1970 Moderator Staff Member

I think it was a cry for help.

Hush likes this.
  3. Hush

Hush Moderator Staff Member

Upon re-watching, the gun recovered was definitely a two-tone black frame silver slide automatic...looked like a HK or Sigma. Not the gun from the beginning, which was a 3rd gen Smith. Now, I don't recall the gun used in the ambush from the Escalade, it looked like a silver small auto (PPK maybe) but it would be easy to trace the gun recovered to the gun from the shooting, which would clear Sherman....at least in our minds.

trooper5811 likes this.
  4. HuskyH-2

HuskyH-2 G-Rap made me do it!

I interpreted Tang tossing the tip to Cooper as putting her career in his hands, she said he thinks hes "god" so she gave him the power to bury her or letting it slide.

fra444 likes this.
  5. fra444

fra444 MassCops Member

He was cleaning what looked like a 6906, but the gun by the pimp looked like a Sigma. Not that it will make much of a difference if the writers write it in as a planted gun.

cc3915 likes this.
  6. fra444

fra444 MassCops Member

Lighten up Francis!!! Its all part of the initiation process, I'm miserable to most of the new guys and they all get why years down the road.

7. LA Copper

LA Copper Subscribing Member

Not that I personally condone it, but there are some FTOs out here who are somewhat like Cooper in the way they train. They are mostly in South Central LA, the birthplace of Bloods and Crips. These are some of the most dangerous places in America to be an officer so the FTOs take their jobs seriously 'cause their lives depend on it.

Probationers "know their place" out here. If they at all appear "salty," their TOs will let them know in a hurry.

fra444, LECSniper and SgtAndySipowicz like this.
  8. LGriffin

LGriffin Always Watching

I don't mind it but the FTO better be able to back it up. Right out of the gate, I had a big John Wayne type on days who had never been challenged due to his size but he couldn't get out of his own way when the shit hit the fan.
    Personally, I can understand the need for it in LA, but babies weren't dying in the streets of my patrol so I was always nice to boots unless they were bags. Saved up my bad attitude for the shit bags.

USMCMP5811 and LA Copper like this.
  9. SgtAndySipowicz

SgtAndySipowicz Supporting Member

LA Copper, I am curious......what % make it through the academy out there, but not out of FTO training(IE: fired)? Also, if you never passed a run would you graduate the police academy?

10. LA Copper

Like anywhere else, the department doesn't want to spend a lot of money to put someone through the whole hiring process and then six months in the academy to let them go if they don't have to. I believe it costs somewhere around $100,000 per recruit for the entire process. Because of this, they try to get folks through rather than try to fire them. That being said, an LAPD academy class usually loses between 9 and 15 recruits for different reasons.

The runs nowadays are 3 or 4 times a week for the first 3/4 of the academy. They get up to 6 miles and run through the hills. If a recruit can't make it through the specific PT tests, then they are given a second chance. If they flunk that, they're out. That goes for shooting tests, tactical tests, and written tests.

As for probation, out here it's for a full year. Not as many get fired as do quit while on probation. I've heard many of them say they didn't realize people actually wanted to hurt/kill them and that they didn't think they'd have to work as much overtime as they do.

11. LA Copper

I agree with you about Cooper, he's way over the top. I haven't seen any FTOs like him, however I have seen some that are a bit too extreme in my opinion.

I agree more with you about how to train. For the 7 years I was a TO before making sergeant in 2000, I always treated my probationers like a partner, not the "whale sh-t" you mentioned. I found that was the best way for them to learn. While they carried a badge and gun like I did, they certainly weren't what I'd call, equal. They didn't know jack about how to do police work but they eventually learned!

LGriffin and USMCMP5811 like this.
  12. fra444

fra444 MassCops Member

Cooper may be over the top but we don't do the whole kinder gentler thing. Its simply a right of passage that also helps thicken their skin. Sometimes you get a former Marine MP who comes in and is the emotional type and sobs when someone raises their voice or says something mean to them.

cc3915 likes this.
  13. fra444

fra444 MassCops Member

I thought we weren't gonna tell people how I found out you have soft hands?!?!

USMCMP5811 likes this.
  14. LGriffin

LGriffin Always Watching

Are we gonna have to cue the Lionel Ritchie music again?

USMCMP5811 and fra444 like this.
  15. cc3915

cc3915 MassCops Angel Staff Member

MSP75, ShmitDiesel, LECSniper and 4 others like this.
  16. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

Shows that don't highlight DETECTIVES don't often last since the uneducated viewing public figures only detective shows are interesting. Real life can be interesting and I've noticed over the years, shows with guys in uniform (there ARE glaring excepetions of course) are more real life based.

Kudos to the executives at TNT. I rarely give praise to TV execs since I feel most are boneheaded morons who don't have the common sense to wipe a runny nose (much like many of our students where I work!) but when they do something right, they deserve praise!

17. trooper5811

trooper5811 New Member

the weapon found at the foot of the suspect shot, was indeed the same color scheme but wasnt the glock, seemed to be a 45 maybe smaller1911, took me seeing the episode twice

18. trooper5811

trooper5811 New Member

southland prob the best CopDrama i've seen or gets actual praise from other LEO's

19. trooper5811

trooper5811 New Member

what base were you at? mcb camp pen, scty bn, mp co- myself

20. 263FPD

263FPD MassCops Angel

You are responding to the wrong poster. You want to Respond to USMCMP5811

21. fra444

fra444 MassCops Member

Sadly didn't serve. Was a decision I made way back when and good bad or indifferent it's done now.

22. MaDuce

MaDuce MassCops Member

First episode of the new season aired tonight.

23. Code 3

Code 3 MassCops Member

Just watched. Great season opener. Badass!

Hush likes this.
  24. niteowl1970

niteowl1970 Moderator Staff Member

I'm very interested to see how Sherman's relationship with the sea monster will play out.

corsair likes this.
  25. HuskyH-2

HuskyH-2 G-Rap made me do it!

I missed it :(