Southland (Caution! Spoiler Alert) | Page 11 | MassCops

Southland (Caution! Spoiler Alert)

Discussion in 'Entertainment & Literature' started by Big.G, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Hush

Hush Moderator Staff Member

I liked it, glad they kept the tone. Wondering if the Sammy's move to patrol is meant to save money by cutting out the detective squad... Seems the writers got a lot of their inspiration from watching COPS, namely the driverless car and joint behind the ear.
    Where can I get one of those 12-shot pump shotguns??

2. I loved it. I don't know what their plans are for Lucy Liu, but I liked her, and I think she is an excellent addition to the show. The season premiere was intense, and I gasped and cringed several times... Just what I like in a good TV drama. Can't wait for next week! :D

3. gm7988

gm7988 MassCops Member

4. corsair

corsair Guest

So far it is a well written show, looking forward to the new season, great opening episode.

Usa8235 likes this.
  5. LA Copper

LA Copper Subscribing Member

Thought the show was good, but once again, why do they have to keep putting in an obnoxious officer type character? Lou Diamond Phillips' character we can do without.

6. SinePari

SinePari Needs more complaints

"It's gonna take Jesus and two white folks to keep me from kicking yo ass!"

Haha Best. Line. Ever.

Usa8235, ShmitDiesel and LGriffin like this.
  7. LGriffin

LGriffin Always Watching

Poor thing never did get her dinner.

Usa8235 likes this.
  8. cc3915

cc3915 MassCops Angel Staff Member

Ride-Along (I'm Not a Cop, But I Look Like One on TV)

How do you take your basic Joe and turn him into a cop? How do you make actors look like they know what they're doing? How do you make it look real? Well, this is how we do it: Southland Style.

The first thing we (Regina King, Ben McKenzie, Shawn Hatosy, and myself) do is go to "Police Academy." Well, our version of a police academy. When TNT's Southland first started, our technical advisor, Chic Daniel (retired LAPD), took us through a week of intensive training. We started in a classroom covering many of the things we would be required to do on film as cops. Including how to properly position your car during a traffic stop, how to cuff, how to clear a house, defensive tactics and all kinds of other things a cop would need to know. Like: how to gain control of, or advantage in, a situation just by your attitude and the positioning of your body.
    After about two days in the classroom, we moved to the field for some situation simulations or "Sit-Sims" as they call 'em (because situation simulations is, well, a mouthful). In the Sit-Sims we are put into a fairly straightforward improvised situation, something that officers encounter every day. I mean, c'mon wer'e not really cops, so let's start small. We're all fairly intelligent, so a routine situation should be easy. ....Right??.....Wrong!!
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobileweb/michael-cudlitz/southland-preview_b_1211491.html

9. Usa8235

Usa8235 MassCops Member

That flippin dinner truck..that was the only part i didn't enjoy..i was anxiously waiting for Cooper to give her crap about that, but, alas, he was a good boy (for now!)

LGriffin likes this.
  10. Usa8235

Usa8235 MassCops Member

That damn truck is real...followtrucknorris.com

11. kwflatbed

kwflatbed MassCops Angel Staff Member

Truck Norris: Food Truck of the Week

[​IMG]
    Courtesy of the truck
    In case you haven't already figured it out, the name is a play on martial arts icon Chuck Norris – a man who always had a kick ready and waiting for the forces of evil. And Truck Norris offers a kick as well, with its spicy (and sometimes very spicy) Hawaiian-Filipino fast food, served from a truck decorated with a fist. All that's missing is a big cartoon "ka-pow!"
    Though fusion is heavily represented on the menu, it's divided into culinary regions. "Hawaiian" includes a garlic shrimp plate lunch, in the style of the shrimp trucks that feed the locals on Oahu. There's also the "Notorious R.I.B." (bone-in marinated short ribs), which you better like because it's the chef's mother's recipe. And there's breaded chicken, served with rice and salad.
    The "Filipino" section includes marinated pork belly, served either on a plate or in a taco, along with short rib tacos and kimchi salsa. And there are a few puzzling specials, like shepherd's pie and a TNT Burger, served every now and then for good reason – it's a full pound of beef stuffed with mozzarella and feta. For dessert, there's a wonton filled with Nutella and lumpia s'mores. Head to the truck's website, Facebook or Twitter for more details.

Usa8235 likes this.
  12. Usa8235

Usa8235 MassCops Member

fusion??!! even when she was going on about it on the show i was confused..what exactly is it? little too new age sounding for my tastin's!

13. LA Copper

Just like it happens in real life!

I'll have to see if I can find this particular "roach coach" and give it a try.

LGriffin likes this.
  14. LGriffin

LGriffin Always Watching

While I don't recommend sucking down a marinated pork belly right out of the gate, I wouldn't be opposed to the garlic shrimp. I'ts good to load up on garlic when the natives are restless because it will likely make your conversations with them shorter if you stink more than they do:cool:

After looking over the menu, I don't believe that the master of the lean, mean exercise machine would approve.

15. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

So, I missed the season opener. Story of my life.

16. ShmitDiesel

ShmitDiesel Radio

http://www.tnt.tv/video/

You can log in with your Comcast/Verizon/ect account and watch the full episode.

Kilvinsky likes this.
  17. USM C-2

USM C-2 MassCops Member

OK, I just caught the season 4 opener. First one I've seen. I figured it was another lame cop show and I tend to criticize too much to suit She Who Must Be Obeyed. Except for Hawaii 5-0, where I have decided to just enjoy the scenery.

I always liked the old Adam-12 series. This one just seemed to click with me. I like it. And, while a prior poster mentioned, IIRC, that Adam-12 was set in Rampart, the full radio call was 1-A-12, which would make it Central, no?

One more odd note... after moving from Mass. to Miss. I had to relearn my phonetics. My Alpha Bravo Charlie became Adam Boy Charles. No idea why, but obviously some LA type migrated here years ago and it stuck.

"C-4, 21 Dispatch on your Mississippi 28 Lincoln Mary Robert 442."

Kilvinsky likes this.
  18. Kilvinsky

I try to avoid phonetics simply because when I'm listening to someone rattle off a bunch I get confused. I'm not the brightest bulb I admit it. I like to use the letter, THEN if it is one of those sound alike ones, I'll throw in a phonetic but I can't always recall the real one so, ala "Super Troopers" I may occassionally throw in something off the cuff. NOT BAD STUFF, just, hell, like "A" Alabama, "B" Bingo, "C" Car.

You're right about SOUTHLAND, it's refreshing. C. Thomas Howell is a welcome comic relief. The show needs a bit more humor. It's a bit TOO much of a downer as good as it is. Adam-12 had enough "DUMB ASS CALLS" (the woman who couldn't get a good picture with her antenna comes to mind) to bring about some humor and the interaction between the guys was good. Southland needs just a bit more to make it perfect.

19. LA Copper

You are partially correct. The station they used was indeed the old Rampart Station. Everytime we saw them drive out of the station parking lot, that was the old station lot, located at 2710 West Temple Street, where I worked for 10 years. However, many of the streets (though not all) seen on Adam-12 (and on Dragnet) were out in the San Fernando Valley because the show was shot at Universal Studios, which is in North Hollywood Division.

And you are also correct that 1 is Central Division. So how do you know this, have you worked out here?

20. Kilvinsky

I have to stand corrected on the humor stuff. I'd still like to see a tad more (the job DOES have it's lighter moments) but last night's episode was great. The debate between the cops and the deputies was classic as was the get well card for the dog.

mpd61 likes this.
  21. HuskyH-2

HuskyH-2 G-Rap made me do it!

Love this show. The fight where cooper and "Wutang" fought that giant guy, a couple episodes ago was great.

22. LA Copper

For those of you who watched this past Tuesday's episode, that was the one where I saw them filming and spoke to "Sammy" a few weeks ago.

The opening locker room scene is at the police academy as was the scene in the hallway where the "crackhead" was going to file a complaint against Sammy.

LGriffin likes this.
  23. Pvt. Cowboy

Pvt. Cowboy Lemme take a selfie Staff Member

For those that watched tonights episode where the woman rams the cruiser, then comes out swinging, I KNEW I had seen that before...

Mods feel free to merge with existing Southland thread... Tapatalk will only show the 14 most recent threads. Searching shows nothing.

Hush likes this.
  24. cc3915

cc3915 MassCops Angel Staff Member

Yeah that's almost exact.

Sent from iPhone via Tapatalk

25. 263FPD

263FPD MassCops Angel

I haven't seen tonight's episode. Damn it. You spoiled the surprise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fra444 likes this.