Southland (Caution! Spoiler Alert) | MassCops

Southland (Caution! Spoiler Alert)

Discussion in 'Entertainment & Literature' started by Big.G, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Big.G

Big.G In Tactical Mode....

What does everyone think of that new show Southland that is going to premiere on NBC Thursday night at 10pm? Looks pretty good to me judging from the trailers I've seen. I'm going to miss it since I am working, but it looks like it is going to be on hulu.com. :DB:

Southland - NBC Site

2. Hawk19

Hawk19 New Member

Watched the pilot of Fancast.com, seemed pretty decent to me. Remember all those Red Dawn references on the board lately? Well, C. Thomas Howell is in this show...

3. HuskyH-2

HuskyH-2 G-Rap made me do it!

I'm not to thrilled. The main character is the Kid from soap opera The O.C. and IMO I think its just going to end up being a corny show about corrupt cops in L.A. or something. I'll give it a shot though I guess, but I'll probably end up just watching re runs of The Wire and The Shield to get my fix.

4. Big.G

Isn't The Shield basically a show about corrupt cops?

5. HuskyH-2

Ya that's my point, I never really got into the shield but at least it wasn't a soap. If I was gonna watch that I'd probably watch the shield before this, if its how I think its going to be. Just the impression I get from the actors and the previews. Won't know till I watch it.

Regardless it's NBC, if it's any good they'll cancel it and put on a show like "Chuck" that somehow gets better ratings.

6. PearlOnyx

PearlOnyx Subscribing Member

I"m looking forward to it. The trailers look good at least. I've got my DVR set!

7. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Hopefully, they won't fuck it up like they did with Tatyana and Sergeant Cruz in Third Watch.

8. Big.G

9. LGriffin

LGriffin Always Watching

It's certainly no NYPD Blue, a little more like the Grey's Anatomy of police dramas at this point. I'll give it another try since just about everything on TV sucks these days.

10. Hawk19

Hawk19 New Member

What was the turning point for you there? Tatiana trying to ace Roy Scheider, or Cruz trying to shoot Yokas?

Big Third Watch fan, myself. Favorite episode is the one where Davis' fathers' killer finally gets his, with the bonus being that half the episode is devoted to Sully's first days in the 70s NYPD.

11. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Both....people who liked the police aspect of that show wanted to watch the experiences of street patrol officers; once they got involved with the Russian Mafia and the Sergeant Cruz nonsense, they jumped the shark in a big way.

12. Simon

Simon Guest

sorry I thought the title said SUGARLAND................ ;) mmmmm

13. BennyBulldog

BennyBulldog MassCops Member

I never got into the Shield. I think it had a wide influence over the public's perception of police officers. I never like the movie Training Day for the same reason. People actually believe this stuff happens all the time, and not in rare and isolated cases of a few bad apples.

14. HuskyH-2

I watched the pilot, wasn't to bad. The story line was a little chopy and had some holes, but I hope they fixed that up as the show progressed.

15. soxrock75

soxrock75 BOOM!

In my opinion that show, which I saw every episode of, went downhill when Yokas got bumped to Detective...........

16. 7costanza

7costanza Supporting Member

I agree with every thing Benny says here..how can you guys watch and support shows and movies that depict you in a bad light. Almost every movie that comes out..Training Day, Street Knights, La Confidential, Changeling, Pride and Glory, and most shows do the same thing.

17. NewEngland2007

NewEngland2007 Active Member

Anybody with standard issue mental capacity should know that the depictions on these shows are make-believe. If they do believe that's how the world works, they probably think the same thing of any other profession they see in a tee vee show, ala they watch ER and think the doctors are all porking the nurses and can come back to life after they die or Alan Shore on Boston Legal wouldn't be disbarred in a heartbeat. It's entertainment, not documentary.

18. Big.G

For entertainment purposes. Sometimes I find it entertaining how fake it is. Sometimes I go "I wish I could do that and get away with it..." In the end, it comes full circle and they get theirs anyway.

I used to be the same way. Then I stopped caring. I realized no matter what, they are still going to produce those types of shows and movies. Their influence on people's perception of us makes doing the job, if anything, more interesting, colorful and enjoyable.

19. Hawk19

Hawk19 New Member

There are a fair number of movies out there that show police in a positive light - Colors, We Own The Night, French Connection, Dirty Harry, The Negotiator, The Pledge, The Bone Collector, Bullitt, The Fugitive, Heat...

20. kttref

kttref New Member

Training Day was based on a true story...

21. Hawk19

Hawk19 New Member

I think it was the Rafael Perez/CRASH/Rampart scandal, right? The Shield also came outta that.

22. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

I can't speak for the EMS and fire segments, but the police aspect of the early episodes of Third Watch were VERY realistic. They did their homework and talked to real cops when they designed the characters and early storylines.

Did they teach you that in the academy, too? - Sully to Ty Davis, who was just puked-on by a drunk bum.

23. 7costanza

7costanza Supporting Member

More importantly ....the statment that " anyone with standard ussue mental capacity should know these are fake."..these are the same people that just elected a bum to the White House, does standard issue mental capacity really exist anymore.

24. NewEngland2007

Maybe not at your house but it does mine.

25. NewEngland2007

Darn, it won't let me edit this to add a GFY to Cantstandya.