Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
7,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Source: AP

Somebody please cite the law which is referred to on today's WBZ-TV website dealing with obscure Massachusetts laws.
It states it's illegal to shoot at targets which resemble human beings.
If it were applicable in NH I'd have a rap sheet longer than anyone I've ever arrested.

·
1,952 Posts
I've seen that it isn't allowed at clubs before but haven't heard of anything in MGL. Maybe its a regulation and requirement for the clubs, cannot have a license unless they have that rule?

EDIT: I stand corrected:

http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/140-131.htm

The colonel of state police may, after an investigation, grant a Class A license to a club or facility with an on-site shooting range or gallery, which club is incorporated under the laws of the commonwealth for the possession, storage and use of large capacity weapons, ammunition therefor and large capacity feeding devices for use with such weapons on the premises of such club; provided, however, that not less than one shareholder of such club shall be qualified and suitable to be issued such license; and provided further, that such large capacity weapons and ammunition feeding devices may be used under such Class A club license only by such members that possess a valid firearm identification card issued under section 129B or a valid Class A or Class B license to carry firearms, or by such other persons that the club permits while under the direct supervision of a certified firearms safety instructor or club member who, in the case of a large capacity firearm, possesses a valid Class A license to carry firearms or, in the case of a large capacity rifle or shotgun, possesses a valid Class A or Class B license to carry firearms. Such club shall not permit shooting at targets that depict human figures, human effigies, human silhouettes or any human images thereof, except by public safety personnel performing in line with their official duties.

·
Subscribing Member
7,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks CRVT55, I really can't rest when I see things like this until I get an answer.
It would appear police officers are exempt but what about if, as you hopefully do, you head on down to a local shooting club while off duty for a little practice between quals. ? If the club allows you to use to our standard shooting targets, especially those realistic ones I've been shooting at in some qualifications, would they and you be violating the law? Just an interesting quark. I suppose some politically correct housewife from Lincoln thought it wasn't nice to shoot at pictures of people like Osama Bin Laden. I got one of my highest scores on that one!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Inspector,

Its true, you can get jumped all over for those targets here in MA. I work at the nuke plant and we use standard NRA LEADS TQ-19 targets for qual, but on a weekend at my local range when i was practicing for my work quals i was told to never bring those targets to the range again by the local club range master. I now have to drive 1 hour to my work range to practice. With high stakes on the line (if we miss our qual we have a second attempt then our walking papers are drawn up) we shoot often (4x / yr) and in all conditions, so practice is a must. I hope this helps.

Aim Small, Miss Small

PMK252

·
Super Moderator
7,136 Posts
Aim small, miss small (as PMK252 mentioned)...if you use really small targets late at night on an indoor range with nobody else there, practicing low light shooting techniques (and on gray rather than black and white targets) - who do you think is going to see you? ;-)

·
Registered
397 Posts
I haven't looked at the laws, but I know of one club in MA who actually has a Class A license for the club, and when they went that route, they had to stop using targets that resemble human figures.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thats a great tip frank, alos if your alone and the range will allow it (of course if no one is there who would know) turn the lights off on the range and walk down to the 7 yd line and do no light shooting. My work does that to simulate low light when one or two people need to qual at night as opposed to waiting for darkness. We have also shot with our Protective Mask (MSA 1000) on with a dark or blacked out lense. However feel free to check out these links and print your own man targets or portions there of.
http://www.freewebs.com/freetargets/
http://murraysguns.com/download/index.htm
http://www.gun-shots.net/free-printable-targets.shtml
All these sites have multiple targets to be printed out, all are great.
Enjoy and again
Aim Small, Miss Small

1 - 9 of 9 Posts