Somebody give me a chance in New Hampshire | MassCops

Somebody give me a chance in New Hampshire

Discussion in 'New Hampshire' started by deaton19, May 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deaton19

deaton19 Guest

I've done all the things that your supposed to do to get hired, but nobody has taken an interest in me. I've tested and interviewed but it seems everybody wants certified officers with experience. Unfortunately I'm neither one. I'm in a criminal justice program, and I can pass a PT with no problem. Can anybody help me out? I would love to have a reference or any help I can get. I probably wouldn't help a total stranger get hired myself but I'm willing to try just about anything at this point. I'm not looking for a free lunch either, if you need some help with something I can do it. If you can help me in any way at all, please let me know. Thanks

Dave
    [email protected]

2. fra444

fra444 MassCops Member

Dude I would help but after 10 yrs. come July I may be looking for an LE job myself!

3. 263FPD

263FPD MassCops Angel

You can't be seriously facing a lay-off, can you?

4. fra444

fra444 MassCops Member

LMAO!!! YUP! I am number 25 from the bottom after the last round of lay-offs and they are talking at least 20! I'm hoping this is just a scare tactic this time but ya never know.

5. Harley387

Harley387 MassCops Member

I'm looking for an LE job too. I have 11 years experience, 2 academies, and nobody is knocking on my door either. I hate to say it kid, but the future for LEO jobs isn't very bright. Good luck.

6. RodneyFarva

RodneyFarva Get off my lawn!

You need to start from the bottom and work your way up. That’s what I did. I started as a Mall security guard made some awesome contacts with the detail guys which later helped me get in to a Dispatchers position at the PD. A short time later I was hired as a Part time LEO and am currently trying to get on the MSP. Be patiencent it will happen just give it time

7. 263FPD

263FPD MassCops Angel

Farva, just pray for that POS governor. Pray for his departure that is, because as it stands now, who knows when the next RTT is coming. Hopefully you are much younger then the cut off age. I have seen many people "die" on the list, my brother-in-law included.

I feel for you dude. I got almost sixty under me. I posted in another thread a while ago, that we are not going to see lay-offs. It is mainly due to the fact that they would have to axe the newly hired Brazilian born officers who are due to graduate 6/16/09. Town does not want to create a political nightmare by laying them off. That is good news for all of our more junior guys and girls.

8. DNorth

DNorth MassCops Member

Three words:

Join the military.

If you think you can physically and psychologically handle law enforcement work, then there is no reason why you can not serve your country, learn a lot about yourself and working with others, and at the end of it all have Veteran's Preference.

Do not do it just for selfish preference reasons, do it if you have the drive to serve. Military service looks very good on any resume anyhow...

9. kttref

kttref New Member

Or you could look at other states. Broaden your options.

10. jettsixx

jettsixx Had enough

I have two words.....go south, It seems they are always looking for people in alot of the southern states.

11. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

Find something else than law enforcement, where money is good and no one bitches how much money you make.

12. 263FPD

263FPD MassCops Angel

Yes, Go south. They like to hire cops from Northern states because we usualy have all our teeth. LOL

No Seriously, the pay is a not so great in most Souther states. However the cost of living is fairly proportional. The problem lies in a very interesting paradox, while if i was to latteral to a Souther state, they would most likely not make me go through an academy again. It does not work that way in reverse. No agency here will hire you and not make you go through training again. I can't imagine that the training is that much different, I just simply think that Northern LE agencies are a little snobbish.

Try a Southern state, you may just find a job, and you may just love it enough to stay.

13. SgtAndySipowicz

SgtAndySipowicz Supporting Member

Some states let you attend an academy without being sponsored (IE: you pay your way through, and hope that someone will pick you up later on). I knew of a Hermosa Beach CA Cop that did this and was later hired by HBPD. I think El Camino College runs an academy out there. You would probably have to have money saved or work part time on the weekends to make it work etc.....

14. Tuna

Tuna Always entertained

Military, Military, Military. Finish your degree, Join up as an officer. Get into the MP's, Do your time, Get Vet. Pref. Get some experience, Chances are that will do it.

15. deaton19

deaton19 Guest

Thanks for the good resonses, but Im 30 years old with 2 young kids. If I join the military my wife will kill me before the Taliban can. Ive done the Mass civil service the last two tests and I have a better chance of hitting the lottery than getting picked off the list. I own a home in NH and like it here. So if somebody can help me let me know. Thanks for the responses tho guys I appreciate it.

16. Irish Wampanoag

Irish Wampanoag Subscribing Member

:vcop:

Iraq is hiring!!Oh ya and Afghanistan is too

17. romeobravogolf

romeobravogolf MassCops Member

18. deaton19

deaton19 Guest

Thanks for the well thought out response and all your help. Very impressive.

19. RodneyFarva

RodneyFarva Get off my lawn!

Hey hey hey.. [-X irish was just say'n that the military is always an option.

20. SgtAndySipowicz

SgtAndySipowicz Supporting Member

Re:

With all due respect, you came on to a Cop website sir. If you can't handle a few wise cracks on this web site, you probably will not do too good on the street. Maybe try another career path...... real police work isn't what you see on the TV. You'll be spit at, swore at and punched, maybe shot or stabbed. You'll go to a domestic and the victim will start yelling at you. You'll have people call you far worse things than anyone here has. Good luck in your search and if you get hired remember to toughen up a bit..........

There is a bit more to being hired as a Cop than passing a PT test and taking a few CJ courses. No Cop with a brain is going to give you a reference without knowing you first. NH gives polygraphs, how did you do on them? How was your oral board (answer truthfully)? What's your background like (drug use, friends, employment record, grades in school etc etc)? You aren't applying for a Security Guard position sir, as a Cop you are trusted with a lot of powers etc. A small percentage of candidates are actually hired, maybe you weren't aware of this. You may think you are a great candidate, but trained background investigators may see things they don't like in you. Don't take any of this personal, and I wish you the best if you are worthy of joining our field.......

21. deaton19

deaton19 Guest

Re:

You know Im not trying to be rude but you had two wise comments and I didnt say anything, the third one I did. Honestly I think part of my problem is guys like you already knowing how "tough" or smart or qualified I am without giving me more than 5 minutes of their time. I said right in my question I wasnt expecting much but at least some guys gave some suggestions and tried to help. Maybe you should find another career path. Maybe you have the "everyone is a piece of garbage outlook" from dealing with all the garbage. Either way I was asking for help and trying to be polite, not looking to get into a who's nuts are bigger contest with somebody over the internet.

22. deaton19

deaton19 Guest

Get a life Sgt Andy. Its guys like you that make people hate cops. Your smarter, stronger, and better looking than everyone else right? You are your own biggest fan. All I said was if you cant help dont answer and now your cryin like a baby. I think you need to "toughen up"

23. deaton19

deaton19 Guest

Well those things are kind of required to get the job genius

24. deaton19

deaton19 Guest

Hey I tried, and I did get some good answers. I'd like to thank the guys that helped me out. As for the other guys I wish I knew where you worked so I dont apply there. EVER. :fu2:

25. 94c

94c Subscribing Member

Ever wonder that the only person who thinks you'd make a good cop is you?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.