Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I applied for my class A LTC back in April. I have not recived and denial or approval letter. If anyone has a good # or somthing I can call to check on my status or if somthing got lost in the mail, I would appriciate it.

P.S, or if anyone knows how backed up it is, that it's just taking this long.

·
Teufelhunden
848 Posts
What town did you apply in? And as Celticsfan said you need to call the dept you applied with.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Guys, I would like to chime in here. Blaze away if you so choose, but waiting 8 months for a LTC is BULLSHIT. If that were me, I would be pissed off too. If the issue is with the state, then this should be addressed. How would you feel if you had to wait 8 months for your driver's license? Just my humble 2 cents.

·
In Tactical Mode....
2,851 Posts
Calling the PD where you applied is all you can do.

I always got mine in about two months of applying, even when everything was done on paper. Eight months is just ridiculous, especially when everything is done on the computer now.

·
Teufelhunden
848 Posts
Squeaky wheel doesn't get the greese in this case, quit your bitching and wait.
Utter crap. First off the OP wasn't bitching, he was asking a question. Having the right to carry is a constitutionally protected freedom that Americans have the right to exercize. Those of us who have sworn to uphold the constitution take it seriously.

Any wait over 8 weeks is unacceptable.

·
Registered
495 Posts
8 months?

There is absolutely no reason for a LTC to take that long.

If the PD that is doing is having problems with staffing, (beause of budgets) then they should send you to the MSP.

8 weeks should be the maximum time required, the longest check that is done is threw the Mental Health department.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Guys, I would like to chime in here. Blaze away if you so choose, but waiting 8 months for a LTC is BULLSHIT. If that were me, I would be pissed off too. If the issue is with the state, then this should be addressed. How would you feel if you had to wait 8 months for your driver's license? Just my humble 2 cents.
Two points -
1. My 21 Y/O son applied for an original issue LTC-A in June. He had the license in hand 22 days later (the same amount of time it took for my LTC-A renewal to come back).
2. There was a time when the law specified time parameters for the various agencies to fulfill their obligations. Rather than hold themselves to standards, they revised the law deleting specific time limits and replacing the wording with vague terms like "reasonable".

Eight months to receive a license which costs $100 plus the cost of the BFS course is very unreasonable.

·
In Tactical Mode....
2,851 Posts
If the PD that is doing is having problems with staffing, (beause of budgets) then they should send you to the MSP.
Umm...correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't this fall mainly on the state? They issue the licenses. The PD processes you but sends everything in to the state.

The only way I see how some of the blame could fall on the PD because of staffing issues is if there were so many people applying that they couldn't get an appointment to get processed within the next several months. I just don't see that happening right now with such few licensed gun owners in this state.

·
Registered
17 Posts
waiting 8 months for a LTC is BULLSHIT.
BUT I'M ANGRY NOW!

They told me 8 weeks and I got mine in exactly 8 weeks.

IIRC after the cory (Corey?? SP), the state police has to sign off before it goes back to local pd? Is it just one person in the state police that does this paper pushing? or do they have a dept that does it?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Umm...correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't this fall mainly on the state? They issue the licenses. The PD processes you but sends everything in to the state.

In some cases there may be a back log at the State Police level however I know of several departments that waited until they had several applicants ready to send in before doing so. The reasoning was to save on postage.

MIRCS should streamline all this when everyone has it up and running. Took 10 minutes to do the renewal and most of that was trying to get the digital fingerprint to go through.

·
Registered
164 Posts
My card showed up in the mail last week. I sat down with the local pd on the 16th of July. Pretty much 4 weeks on the nose.

·
Registered
178 Posts
8 months definitely is ridiculous! I would agree to start with the local dept. where you applied, give them a call or stop down and see what the holdup is, make sure they send it into the state.

Once they have done that it's in the states hands; the licenses actually come from the Firearms Support Services division of the (CHSB) Criminal History Systems Board, not the State Police. If your department tells you they already sent it to the state you could always give them a call or write them.

CHSB, Firearms Support Services
200 Arlington Street Ste. 2200
Chelsea, MA 02150
(617) 660-4782

·
Registered
4 Posts
As a civilian, I received a Class A with no restrictions in 4 weeks.

I suggest that you follow up with the licensing authority.

·
Registered
19 Posts
It takes approximately 3 weeks for the pd to get it back from the state. Maybe 4 weeks if they are busy with a lot of applications. Some pds have them back and will not contact you if they dont hear from you. So if you have not heard from them get in touch with the local pd that you applied at. And the officer that handles that department is only there every 2 or 3 weeks, so find out his schedule. It stinks that the new card permits dont have the date of issue like the old paper permits did. Years back when I got my first permit, it took like 6 to 8 months. When i finally received it the issue date was like 6 months back. When I meet the permit guy, he pulls it out of a shoe box full of permits in alphabetical order and throws it at me. So that box was full of permits that had been issued but not given to the people who had applied for them.

·
Teufelhunden
848 Posts
When I meet the permit guy, he pulls it out of a shoe box full of permits in alphabetical order and throws it at me. So that box was full of permits that had been issued but not given to the people who had applied for them.
What town was this?

·
Registered
874 Posts
Your license could be held up at either the state or local level. The state has civilians doing the footwork, it's not State Police officials. It also needs to be sent and signed off upon return in a timely fashion by your local PD. I had a friend who called to complain to his State Rep. about the waiting period. He got his license the following week, but let's just say he can cross off this town from his civil service list choices.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts