Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know about you guys but after a long street detail I am beat. Therefor anything to reduce some weight from my gear and/or make it less cumbersome during the day is a big plus to me.

I already have a stinger but have seen some guys with even smaller ones

1. what are they

2. are they bright enough

thanks for any reply

·
Registered
61 Posts
hey word, my advice to you would be leave your flashlight in your shop until you need it. there is no need to carry it on your belt all of the time. and get rid of the stinger get a fulll sized streamlight

·
Subscribing Member
885 Posts
Im not on the job, but i'de like to chime in

I have a surefire G2Z Nitrolon
Its plastic, runs on 2 123 batteries, and has a 60 minute life at 65 lumens. THAT is a crap-load of light

Personaly, i wanted as much light as possible, so I switched bulbs to a 20minute / 120 lumen bulb. That thing is deadly in its own way, but I dont use it a lot, so im not worried about the cost of the batteries (.70-1.25/battery).

Some depts have boxes of them laying around for LEO use, so if thats the case, dont worry I guess.

I cant say enough good things about this light..

www.surefire.com

G

·
Wordstew,

This is the deal, small rechargeable and good light output. Streamlight Strion Rechargeable Flashlight @streamlight.com. Next if you want to carry a non-rechargeable light that runs off 2,3volt batteries. The batteries have a ten year shelf life and at normal or short use about 6 months or so. Some people don't like to buy batteries, but you can buy them in bulk 12 pack = $15.00 @Surefire.com has a 6P (you can buy a recharge kit), G2Z, C2, E2E and M3 (sick light) are all good lights. If you want the latest, hottest, flashlight on the market look into "Gladius" www.strategosinternational.com/ I also have a link to a video clip of this light and info.

Video clip: http://www.blackhawkvideo.com/night-ops.html (Click on gladius in action)
Specs: http://www.night-ops.com/pdfs/Gladius-Specifications.pdf

·
Registered
61 Posts
ryan what i meant was keep your flashlight next to you in your shop, take it with you when you go to a call, and keep it in your sap pocket as opposed to keeping it on your belt, no need for all that clutter to get in your way when the fight is on. if you feel the need to wear a flashlight on your belt wear a small backup light like the strion everyone is talking about. that is what i find works best.

·
Registered
174 Posts
The point is that you don't know when you are going to need it. On a call or just walking through the mall to grab a coffee during the day shift. You never know. Therefore, I think it best to be prepared, hence keeping a light of some sort on your person while on duty. Just my .02.

Ryan

·
Subscribing Member
397 Posts
I bought a small LED light at Wal-mart for $20. Lith batteries included. Then bought a nylon Uncle Mike baton holder to it carry in. It is just as bright as the $120 streamlights. I have a 2cell Mag in my duty bag for traffic. I just keep spare batteries in the ole' duty bag just incase.

·
Registered
17,747 Posts
I have a MINI MAG real bright and powerful you can adjust the beam and I've even run it over with my car and it works fine. The lens piece comes off and makes it like a candle. It was fearly cheap less then $20.00

·
Subscribing Member
451 Posts
I have a Surefire Z2 ands its MUCH brighter than a 6 d-cell maglite or a Stinger. Very small... only about 5 inches long. Expensive though

·
Registered
294 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
1,316 Posts
Southside";p="65224 said:
I have a surefire executive series. It is compact and light as hell....also very bright. I highly recommend it. www.surefire.com
as do I, they are super. i was issued 2 surefires and a mini mag. but i bought the surefire exec defender I also used to have an exec L1 that was about the size of my thumb but as bright as a 2 D mag. sure fire's are great.

I know the VA Beach PD have a streamlight charger mounted against the cage in every cruiser and they issued all their PO's the fullsize streamlights.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just a heads up to you folks using Surefire 3P. 6P,9P,G2,C2,C3,D3, G2Z, NRA, M2,Z3 flashlights might be interested in upgrading your P60/61 lamp modules to these 3watt LED drop-in modules.
http://www.bugoutgearusa.com/drledmo.html

The runtime on a P60/P90 lamp is approximately 45-60 minutes. By replacing the Surefire lamp module with the 3W drop-in LED module, run time is extended to over 4 hours. And and LED will run for 100K hours vs approx 25+/- hours for the xenon bulbs

I have three of these modules in various lights around the house and they are quite nice and VERY simple to install!

·
Registered
30 Posts
wordstew said:
I don't know about you guys but after a long street detail I am beat. Therefor anything to reduce some weight from my gear and/or make it less cumbersome during the day is a big plus to me.

I already have a stinger but have seen some guys with even smaller ones

1. what are they

2. are they bright enough

thanks for any reply
if money isnt an object go with the new blackhawk GLADIUS.. its amazing and has a strobe function which blinds people at night, great for unruly drunks etc... i'd check ebay for deals

·
1,952 Posts
The Stinger XT I won from Masscops a year and a half ago or so... the bulb keeps falling out of place and the battery holds a 10 minute charge :shock:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts