Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone here have sleep apnea? I have about 7 common symptoms and I had to go for a sleep study last night. I'm not sure when the results will be in, but I'm told I may have to go back again. I didn't think I would be able to sleep since I have insomnia so bad, but my doc prescribed Ambien and I had the best night of sleep in such a long time. I don't want the Ambien on a nightly basis, so I'm curious about a few things: For anyone who does have sleep apnea, do you have to use a CPAP or BIPAP machine, are they uncomfortable, and do you sleep better with the device(s)"

As always, thanks in advance.

kk

·
Registered
6 Posts
I use a BIPAP machine and have for about 6 years. Never realized how bad my sleep apnea was until I had the sleep test. I was sleeping less than two hours in an 8 hour period. I was always tired, stressed and grumpy. I can't imagine not using my machine now. It takes awhile to get use to it. The best advice I can give is, if they prescribe you a machine, try to use it for at least a few hours at a time. You won't believe how well you sleep.

·
I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.
18,508 Posts
My wife uses one and it's helped her sleeping. Whatever I miss at home, I try to make up for it at work. I just pictured using a CPAP at work. :D

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I went for test, they actually fit a mask that night.. maybe you have sonetsome else.
I was told depending on the results, I may have to come back. I tried to have a test done a few years back, but I ended up leaving about 3am on the second night. The tech put the mask on me and because I'm a mouth breather, he tried to put a chin strap on me. I didn't want any parts of it at all. It made me feel claustrophobic, so home I went.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I use a BIPAP machine and have for about 6 years. Never realized how bad my sleep apnea was until I had the sleep test. I was sleeping less than two hours in an 8 hour period. I was always tired, stressed and grumpy. I can't imagine not using my machine now. It takes awhile to get use to it. The best advice I can give is, if they prescribe you a machine, try to use it for at least a few hours at a time. You won't believe how well you sleep.
If I have to go back and wear a mask, I'll stick it out. I'll just have my doc prescribe Ambien again and go out like a light!

·
18,508 Posts
I was told depending on the results, I may have to come back. I tried to have a test done a few years back, but I ended up leaving about 3am on the second night. The tech put the mask on me and because I'm a mouth breather, he tried to put a chin strap on me. I didn't want any parts of it at all. It made me feel claustrophobic, so home I went.
I'd be playing fighter pilot.

I've yet to grow up.

Yep.. I'm stubborn as Hell !!
I personally have NO PROBLEM believing that. ;)

·
18,508 Posts
kateykakes, you've been MIA for a while now. I'm glad you're back.

And absolutely, mtc is awesome, but she's more stubborn than Noriega was in Panama.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So, I received a call today regarding my sleep study. I wasn't told any results, but I do see the sleep study doc tomorrow. I'm guessing he's going to tell me I have sleep apnea. Just peachy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts