Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
3,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Three weeks ago I was diagnosed with Skin Cancer, a Stage II Melanoma. The reason I'm telling my story is because everyone should do a self-test and see a dermatologist if anything looks suspicious.

I saw an article on skin cancer and did a self check. I noticed a small "freckle", which didn't hurt or have any symtoms which would have brought attention to it. I went to see a dermatologist, who biopsied it, just to be sure. It came back a Melanoma, which is the deadliest form or skin cancer, however if caught early is very curable with minor surgery.

Thank God, it was caught early and my doctor explain to me today that I should be fine.

I'm healthy and only in my 30's. I'm not a big sun person and never thought this could happen to me, but it did.

Do yourself and your family a favor and check yourselves out. It was the scare of my life and hopefully my story will encourage my brother and sister law enforcement officers to get checked. It really could save your life, it did me.

The following is a link with info about skin cancer.

http://www.skincarephysicians.com/SkinCancerNet/melanoma.html

Stay safe and look out for each other!!!!

G

·
+1

I had a suspicious-looking mole removed from my chest several years ago, and while it wasn't cancerous, it sure did serve as a wakeup call.

Besides self-exams, be sure to also bring the SPF 50 sunblock on road jobs.

·
Maddy B's grammy
2,017 Posts
A woman I work with just lost her step daughter. She kept telling the Doctors she wanted to have a mole checked and they kept telling her it was nothing to worry about. When they finally diagnosed her she was incurable and died a few months later. She was in her mid 20s and she left two young children under age 5. The point of my post is...be persistant. You know your body better than anyone. If you doctors don't want to test, MAKE them. Best of luck to you, I'm sure they caught it in time.

·
Registered
380 Posts
My Dad died from this stuff.... I'm paranoid as hell.

Never mind the SPF50, I use SPF70 on road jobs and even when the family and I spend our week at the beach.

As a matter of fact I think I'm the only guy who comes back from vacationing at the beach whiter than when he left...... :D

·
MassCops Member
333 Posts
Don't worry Geepnutt, white complexions are back in Seems awareness of the seriousness of sun exposure and skin cancer is spreading more and more these days. Thanks for sharing. I am glad you caught it early. You have me thinking about my moles, now. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
My grandfather had waited to long too. He had a spot on his back and just let it spread till they had to dig out a hugh hole. Lucky that they took it all out, but it was very deep and they needed to inplant skin into it.

·
Subscribing Member
3,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
PBC,

Sorry to hear about it. I just had 4 biopsies this year, and thankfully no cancer yet, but now I'm on the 6 month plan myself. The damn sun down here is tough on my Irish skin.
Thanks brother, I'm on the 3 month plan for the next couple years myself. I'm just glad to hear your being tested. This FLA sun wasn't meant for us New England folks I guess :p

Stay safe!!

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
Sorry to hear about this PBC FL COP, Im glad you caught it early. How long have you lived in Fla..and do you believe without a doubt you got it there, whats your frequency in the sun and before this did you wear sunscreen...Im not trying to be nosy just a little proactive as im Irish/French and go to Fla alot...

·
Subscribing Member
3,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I've been in FLA about 7 years, but I'm not a big sun person. I don't really know when it happened, it seems like I had that spot for years. As a kid, I got sunburned on a regular basis in the summers at Hampton Beach and they say most of ones sun damage is done in early childhood years.

The Melanoma was found on my stomach, which is the normal location for males, but it really surprise me when I was notified of the diagnosis.

People with lighter complexions are more susceptible, however it can occur with anyone.

All I can say is SUNSCREEN, SUNSCREEN and more SUNSCREEN. Being tan just isn't worth it.

Stay safe and thanks!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts