Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
I just bought a brand new Sig P245 (.45 cal)and it was $749.99. Not sure how much the p229 is, but Im sure its not much cheaper...Hope it helps

·
Subscribing Member
312 Posts
Also call Interstate Arms in Billerica, MA (1-800-243-3006 press 1 for eastern division) I talked to a sales rep that told me that SIG has a promotion going on that gives a discount to Law Enforcement. They said that Campus police, Auxiliary, special officers and some security officers also qualify for the discount. On some models the discount was about $100.00.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you want a brand new one your talking $700 for a 229, but if you are not in a hurry there are a couple of gun shows coming up in Mass (Wilmington) and (Marlborough), you can find a good used 229 for less money. Just thought for you.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok sounds good-
I was figuring about $600-700 for a new one but I'll definitely contact the areas that everyone mentioned and see if I can get a better deal. I haven't attended a gun show but I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get it at a lower price.

Thanks to everyone who responded!

Be Safe!

·
Registered
665 Posts
Hey John,
Do you know the dates of the Wilmington Gun Show?
Thank You!!!!!!! Jim

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man
Deep Thoughts by Jack Handy

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,658 Posts
Originally posted by J:
Hey John,
Do you know the dates of the Wilmington Gun Show?
Thank You!!!!!!! Jim

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man
Deep Thoughts by Jack Handy
If you're talking about the one at Shriners, It was two weekends ago............Sorry

·
Registered
125 Posts
There is a 900 table gun show in Springfield, MA on March 8 and 9th. This is MA largest show and there are great deals. ITs at Eastern States Exposition. 1305 Memorial Avenue W. Springfield, MA

I just bought a two tone MA compliant P229 .40SW at 4 seasons for $750 which is a rip off. Considering MA compliant two tone P229s are hard to find in MA (along with HK USPs and 3rd Generation Glocks) i was willing to pay that much. I am going to ad ghost ring sights and a Lasermax laser which should run me another $400. I have seen some new ones go for $500 in the Want Ads Advertiser magazine that you can buy at Tedeschis or Cumberland Farms. People from MA also sell some MA compliant Sigs on Glocktalk.com and SigForum.com. Hope this helps. See Ya at the gun show guys!

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have both Sig228 and Glock 22,23,33. I like the Sig better. The way it feels the way it shoots the way it looks all good.

·
8,658 Posts
Originally posted by 1zero7:
is everyone forgetting the obvious here??? Why go with a sig when you can have a GLOCK!!!
I think it has something to do with freedom of choice, personal preference, great to be an american etc........

Besides, even Glock Perfection isn't perfect. Look at the recent news about rail/frame interface problems with recent production .40's

What did we do BEFORE Glock came here in 1987?
I was shooting 100% with S&W revolvers and M1911's at the range. And I never felt the need to run them over with my Jeep. Speaking of which, the new Springfield XD pistol is getting rave reviews AND being run over by SUV's to boot. So quit being a Zero! (hee hee)
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I bought my P229 with tritium sights installed for $689 total by taking a Sigarms class. Without the sights, it would have cost me around $609. Since I bought it directly from Sig, I didn't have to pay sales tax but did pay a transfer fee to the local gun shop.

Sig Academy is currently offering a $100 rebate on a new Sig if you take one of their courses. They do have some one day courses which aren't too expensive... of course you will pay $200 to save $100 (but you do get some good training).

The real money I saved was on my SSG 3000.. Last year they were taking 30% off the price of one if you took their rifle course.. even the guys at FS couldn't come close to matching that. Of course I still had to pay 70% of the SSG + the cost of the course + transfer fee.. but in the end, I saved money over buying the rifle outright from a local shop.

John

·
Registered
157 Posts
Originally posted by 1zero7:
is everyone forgetting the obvious here??? Why go with a sig when you can have a GLOCK!!!
I agree with you 100% 1zero7, in my opinion the Glock is by far the best all around combat/defensive handgun out there. Besides, with all the money you'll save on buying a Glock over a Sig you can go buy a case of ammo or two.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi,

I have the sig P239 in 40S&W. Nice and compact, shoots like butter. Paid $529. at 4 Seasons. Love it. My advise try the Sig, Smith, Glocks or any other model you like before you buy. I'm sure you know someone who has these guns. Buy whats right for you and don't rely on someone else's opinion. Opinions are like Aholes everyone has one and most stink.

Good Luck,
Mike

·
Registered
103 Posts
Take a rope and tie it around the Smith & Wessons and use them for boat anchors, that is all they are good for. Sigs and Glock are more comparable in shooting and reliability. I, myself prefer the glock and then the sigs. Smith & Wesson are notorious for feeding jams and etc, :x

Just my two cents,

Ed

·
8,658 Posts
EsxPD319 said:
Take a rope and tie it around the Smith & Wessons and use them for boat anchors, that is all they are good for. Sigs and Glock are more comparable in shooting and reliability. I, myself prefer the glock and then the sigs. Smith & Wesson are notorious for feeding jams and etc, :x

Just my two cents,

Ed
Oh Jeez!!!!

Actually it's guns like the High Point 9mm/40 pistols, and Raven or Jennings .25's that are "Notorious" for jams etc.

O.K. so Glock is made in heaven by God's gunsmith. Before 1987 most of us sat at home while our Smith's colected dust because we were too afraid to pull them out of their holsters. Come on!
:shock:

Fact is there are few pistols manufactured today that are perfect out of the box from the factory. Don't take my word for it. Ask any department armorer, or check out gun tests magazine. Glock is dealing with an issue of slide/frame rail contact defects on recent .40 cal models that has caused full failure of the product. Does this mean Glock is suddenly junk?
Of course not. But sixteen years of "Glock Perfection" just went down the tubes when a large Georgia S.D. and other departments experienced their new Glocks binding locked/open after first shot recently.

Beretta had a problem with cracked slides years ago. Smith 59's had a reputation for not being reliable. Even Kimbers and others have failed.
If you want to knock a brand of Pistol, try RUGER. (their revolvers are rock solid) Again, how many departments issue, or individual officers carry a Ruger auto?

Bottom line is any firearm needs to be fired, cleaned, broken in with about 500 rounds to identify if it is really an anchor or a pearl. Then if there is a problem, it needs to be seen by the armorer or the factory.
I personally own a Glock 23 and like it. My issued weapon is a Smith Sigma 40E. It has never jammed and I shoot 92-100 every three months at range. It's not a scientific comparison, however, I could say that the Glock and Smith are "comparable" (just my $.02)
:D

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hey Espo,

We carry the S&W 4053 on the job. Never had a problem, never had a jam. I've probably put two to three thousand rounds through it. Very comfortable to aim, shoot and carry.
I use the Sig 239 for off duty and side jobs. I have been a diehard Smith man most of my life but there is life beyond Smith so I have a little diversity. Whatever floats your boat I guess.

Mike

·
Registered
103 Posts
Thats why I said I prefer the Glocks and the Sigs over Smith & Wessons. I have never has any luck with Smith Autos, whether they were issued or I bought them. Last qualifications my department had we had 95 mis-feeds and jams from 35 different Smith & Wesson auto of the same model (thank god I'm allowed to carry a Glock).

However some of you are right in saying firearms are like cars, some or better suited for others and it's a personal preference.

It was just my two cents.

Ed

1 - 20 of 22 Posts