Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

If you had your choice between the two.....

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks like after only 4 years of having the Glock 22 as our dept. issued weapon we will be switching over to the SIG 226 DAK.

Now I am not a gun nut but I was looking for some feedback on what one is the better weapon. I heard that the SIG is the Cadillac of handguns. Who here carries the SIG 226? Which do think is better?

Kinda funny, we start out looking for holsters (for the Glock) and SIG patrol rifles and next thing we know we are dumping Glock all together and getting brandy new everything. From what I hear SIG gave us a hell of a deal and the major reason for the switch.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I own a SIG P220 and stand by it 100% as the most out of the box accurate handgun on the market. SIG makes a sweet handgun......Attleboro seems to be getting their act together....maybe I will move there and try to get on that department....I wonder if that number 5 car is being used by anyone :-k :-k .

·
MassCops Member
132 Posts
Used to carry :thumbdow: Glock (9mm, then .40), now carry :thumbup: Sig P220 (.45) - Much better handgun! And according to our armorer, it was recently rated the #1 combat auto by some "gun-nut" magazine, with Glock somewhere down around #5.

Amherst College first started carrying them last year. UMASS traded their old S&W black powders for Sigs in November and Amherst PD will be going to them in the coming months.

Happy Hunting

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The only down side is that I can't use my baby Glock for court and details after the switch :cry: looks like it will hit the MassCop wantad section for a down payment on a 229.

shawnr76 said:
....I wonder if that number 5 car is being used by anyone :-k :-k .
My new car is 9, not by choice but it gets the job done :wink:

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have both, it's a tough choice to make but I gotta go with the Glock. I seem to shoot better with my Glocks than with my Sig.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I own a Sig P229 (.40). It is by far the best gun I have ever shot. My buddy has a Glock 17 (9mm), when I shot that then my Sig, you can see how much more control the Sig has. The recoil is less even when it is compact and a .40 cal compared to the 9mm, plus the grouping was very close with the Sig right out of the box. I think the Glock is too light also, the Sig is not alot heavier but you actually feel like you have something in your hand.

·
Registered
157 Posts
gs

I have owned numerous Glocks and Sigs. I do like the Sig pistols, but the P220 I had was a bow-wow, the trigger pull was rediculously harsh. Both brands are quite accurate, but personally I give the edge to the Glock, much more consistant trigger pull.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My vote is for the Glock 22. I find that I shoot glock pistols better than any other on the market. And you can back it up with a 27 and be able to use the 22's mags.

·
Zombie Hunter
4,815 Posts
Well, I am a "gun nut" and I have to agree with some of the previous posts; its mainly a Chevy vs. Ford argument....but I'll throw my 2 cents in....

For my own part I have found Sigs to be superior firearms, the MSP issues Sig 226's (.40, which I carry), Sig 229's (.40, for troopers with smaller hands), and Sig 239's (.40, for detective/undercover units). I have fired all of these and additionally own a Sig 245 (.45 compact), and have previously owned a Sig 228 (9mm compact). I have also owned 2 Glock pistols previously, a Glock 19 (9mm compact) and Glock 26 (9mm micro-compact) Sigs are reliable, ergonomic and very accurate. Many professionals rate Sigs to be the most accurate out-of-the-box, semi-automatic, double-action pistol, and in my own experiences shooting both, I would have to agree. The sights on a Sig are far better than the sights on a Glock, the Glock sights are poor at best, and made of plastic. I have heard many horror stories of Glock sights simply snapping off or falling off. Also, because of the type of rifling used in Glock barrels (polygonal), they are ammunition sensitive and cannot fire certain types of bullets.

One thing I would agree on is that I dislike the double action/single action transition after the first shot on a Sig. Being a 1911 fan, I prefer a short, crisp trigger and this is only possible on the Sig after the first shot (or if you cock the hammer). Of course, one advantage on a Sig is that if you had to make a highly accurate shot, you CAN cock the hammer, unlike a Glock. The trigger on the Glock is somewhat of a compromise, with a squashy, "safe action" that is neither double action nor single action. Its not a particulary bad trigger pull, at least its consistent with all shots, and isn't too heavy with the 5 1/2 pound standard pull. Unfortunately many departments (including the NYCPD) put heavier springs on the trigger to give it a horrible 12 pound pull (the so-called "New York Trigger"). Also, I would rate the Glock slightly more tolerant of bad maintainence (which many cops are guilty of). The Sig is precision weapon, and requires lubricant at least once every couple of months. A dry Sig will jam, there's no two ways about it....I've seen it at the range. The Glock also requires lubricant, but I believe its a bit more tolerant of "whoops, its been eight months since I even took this thing apart".

Finally, I would rate the Glock's ergonomics as simply terrible. Hefting a Glock at the range is like shooting a plastic brick. I find the plastic magazine release to be squashy and not all that positive (there's often not a "click" when you seat or release magazines). I also dislike the slide release, which I think is too small and a bit too far forward. I find the contours on the Sig to be far more natural and the controls to be in more comfortable places. I also like the fact the Sig has a decocking lever, for safe unloading, whereas you have to pull the trigger on a Glock to put it in a safe position (how many unwanted discharges come out of so-called "unloaded" guns?).

Its pretty apparent that I prefer the Sig pistol, but I still think that Glock makes a good product. My big problems with the Glock are its lack of ergonomics and its mediocre accuracy. The Sig might require a bit more TLC, but you should be taking your pistols down every month and oiling them anyways :roll: . If I were you, Gil, I would be happy about the change over from the Glock, the Sig is an awesome pistol. :D
By the way Gil, you might want to consider a P239 rather than a P229 for off-duty/court carry, its lot smaller and loses only 4 rounds in carrying capacity (8 + 1 vs 12 + 1)

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just got back from the range, fired the 226, 229 DAK and the 239 as well as the Glock. First thing in comparing the Glock vs the SIG was the Glock felt like I was firing a cannon, the SIG was nice and smooth. It was a nice change from the Glock. Most of us that shot prefer the non DAK trigger system but I think the dept is going to go with it anyway.

BTW the baby Glock is off the market 8) SIG is going to take them in trade for the 239 or the 229 (gun + 100 bucks) comes with night sights. Pretty much the same deal we are getting for the 226

G

·
I work for an Armored company and most of us carry the glock 22 and one of our guys carries the sig 226 Dak.I shot it nice gun i aint gone lie but i prefer my glock

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Some are Glock guys,some are Sig guys.

Fired both at the range with eight guys over 400 rds each and Glock won hands down.

You tell someone that carries Sig that you carry Glock and they think your crazy,and vice versa.

·
MassCops Member
36 Posts
My department had just changed over to the Sig 226 DAK (40 Cal.) It is a nice weapon. If I had a choice I would perfer the Glock 22 hands down. The Glock is much much easier to work on and is an all around durable weapon.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Sorry, I prefer the Colt 1911 series 70, 0.45 calibre. (I do love all my Sigs, though: 9 mm, .40 and .45...) ;-)

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Not too many will now about the 1911.

It brings back fond memories every time I look at it.

Still have one but don't fire as much as I should.

·
Zombie Hunter
4,815 Posts
Not too many will now about the 1911.

It brings back fond memories every time I look at it.

Still have one but don't fire as much as I should.
Bite your tongue! The Boston PD SWAT just bought the Sig GSR 1911-style pistol, and our own STOP team is evaluating several different types of 1911's for possible use. LAPD SWAT uses the Kimber 1911, and it is still the darling of many of our troops in the special forces community. The 1911 is alive and well!

1 - 20 of 60 Posts