Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello:

I am goin to apply for the middlesex and suffolk county sherriffs department. i really dont have any law enforcement experience but i really want to do that. i think this would give me a great experience if i worked for corrections. do you have to take a written test and if you do, what is it like? is it like the civil service exam? any help would be great.

Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
i dont know how midellsex and suffolk's test are set up but i did hillbourough's county department of corrections exam in manchester, nh. the test in hillsbourough was fairly easy they had a coupel of pictures with inmates drawn and the question will tell you to count how many inmates were in the picture and how many correction officers. all and all the questions were pretty much all common sense nothing like the civil service questions. :)

·
Registered
145 Posts
I just took the Middlesex County sheriff exam. This was the first exam that I have taken for any type of law enforcement job. Are these exams that easy? Its all common sense stuff. Is the civil service test the same way?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Most of the Mass exams (civil service, msp, and sheriff) are a piece of cake. Last time I took civil service I received a 100 and on msp I received a 98. Just take a deep breath, answer the 100 or so questions with a clear head, and get your 98 or 100 in the mail.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Those exams sound a bit atypical. No body here will tell you that police exams are or should be comparable to the SAT or GRE or whatever...but generally speaking they are a bit more challenging than what Middlesex apparently has. I took the Supreme Court Police test on Wednesday and it was RIDICULOUSLY easy, however yesterday I took the U.S. Park Police test which was significantly harder. So to make a long story short...It all depends. Good luck :D

·
Subscribing Member
275 Posts
I just took it and i's pretty straight forward. But what about those questions where they ask you something like,,

A inmate threatens a CO after being given a work assignment and gets in his personal space "or Danger Zone as called in DT Training"

What should the CO do?

A. Push him away,
B. explain to him that he needs to get back to work,
C. call for assistance,
D. call for assistance and file a disciplinary report.

I chose option "A" since that's how I was trained before, but C and D can also be accepted even though they should be done immediatly after executing option "A". Am I right?

·
Registered
145 Posts
I just took it and i's pretty straight forward. But what about those questions where they ask you something like,,

A inmate threatens a CO after being given a work assignment and gets in his personal space "or Danger Zone as called in DT Training"

What should the CO do?

A. Push him away,
C. call for assistance,

I chose option "A" since that's how I was trained before, but C and D can also be accepted even though they should be done immediatly after executing option "A". Am I right?
I thought that the CO's were not allowed to touch the inmates. I thought it was "B"

Phil

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah, that sherriffs test was wierd this weekend. there were usually two answers that were so close to each other. and there was a lot of poeple. anyone know how many they are looking to hire? when the academy is?

·
Subscribing Member
275 Posts
Academy was to start in Summer or late spring of 05 from what I heard. They probably need time to do background checks and interviews since they had a record number turn out.

G

·
I think that pushing him might escalate the situation since there has not been physical contact at this point. I don't work as a CO, but I would bet at this point, the answer is B, if he does not comply, then call for backup, etc.

·
Subscribing Member
1,167 Posts
This, being about Sheriff's, is being moved to the Sheriff's forum.

EJK,

Good one.

Philly,

Hopefully you are kidding, hopefully.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,749 Posts
Channy1984 said:

What should the CO do?

A. Push him away,
C. call for assistance,

Answer E. Suck it up and send the Sheriff a Christmas card/bottle so you can get a deputy position and get outside in a ninja turtle outfit!
:lol:

·
Subscribing Member
211 Posts
Mass police exams are a joke.I took the DOC exam in 1998 score 97:Got hired.2002 MSP exam with a score of 95.Nothing.

I took the test for the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department in June 2004.It was far harder and longer than the above tests.I passed.That's all I'm saying.I got hired.Going to the police academy in January.

Semper Fi,

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
mpd61 said:
Suck it up and send the Sheriff a Christmas card/bottle so you can get a deputy position and get outside in a ninja turtle outfit! [\quote]

And all this time I've been sending in my resume and cover letter, interviewing and taking exams.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you like giving out toilet paper and soap to scumbag inmates corrections is for you..this is not law enforcement ,but baby sitting good luck:beat:
nixon3535 said:
Hello:

I am goin to apply for the middlesex and suffolk county sherriffs department. i really dont have any law enforcement experience but i really want to do that. i think this would give me a great experience if i worked for corrections. do you have to take a written test and if you do, what is it like? is it like the civil service exam? any help would be great.

Thanks

·
Registered
75 Posts
Channy
Don't listen to the idiot sheriff bashers, they take every chance they get to bash Sheriff Dept.'s, if you want a job with decent pay, plenty of OT on the inside with good bennies, go for it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey Adam12,

That is rough man. No doubt that pd/corrections work are two different animals, but it is ignorant to just downplay any skill/mindfullness needed to work in corrections. Albeit, when you are working a tier, you are thinking differantly than when driving a cruiser, yet both require high level thinking. As far as the question, if he is making quick furtitive movements, or doing anything else that you can articulate that can cause you harm, OPTION A, followed by being placed on the ground for the inmates safety, then option D. If you are placing your hands on ANYONE, you best be able to articulate a formal violation/disciplinary report on that inmate. If that is not possible, you just used un necessary force. If the inmate is not acting in a threatening manner, a simple request to "take a step back" is appropriate. It happens when a seemingly calm inmate may get a littel too close to you, just like it happens in the mall etc. Although in my experience, the need for personal space goes both ways inmates/staff and MOST inmates will go out of their way to stay out of your grasp.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Adam 12 said:
If you like giving out toilet paper and soap to scumbag inmates corrections is for you..this is not law enforcement ,but baby sitting good luck:beat:
Maybe it is just baby sitting and not real law enforcement. Yeah except the babes make things like shanks and usually assault in packs like dogs. But hey your correct real law enforcement has guns, oc, batons, etc. What most guards (excuse me corrections officers) have is between there ears and for the most part verbal skills.

How long does real law enforcement officers acutally spend with suspects? If you think corrections is easy put all your defensive tools away, save for handcuffs, maybe some oc, and a radio that sometimes works and come work in a locked in pen with 80 - 120 inmates.

And remember, that if you get jammed or caught in a riot or unit takeover they will eventually get you out. Yeah but every now and then one of those cos gains intelligence for the real law enforcement and passes it along and somehow thinks they are actually part of the LE process.

But you have just enlightend any co what you, the real law enforcement professional feel. Down south in many sheriffs departments and dare I say police departments, actually require a person who wants to work the road to have worked for a time behind the wall. Why? To gain an idea of the culture they will be dealing with, and also for them to develope intelligence in the form of contacts from inside the prison.

Hey, why not try judging another professional on a one on one basis instead of the group.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.