Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
3,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Crisis vehicle will be available throughout county, Glodis says
By Shaun Sutner TELEGRAM & GAZETTE STAFF
WORCESTER- Sheriff Guy W. Glodis has long envisioned his role as more than running a county jail.

He wants the sheriff's department to take a bigger role in law enforcement, and he'll soon have the equipment to help make that goal a reality.

The sheriff is soliciting bids for a $514,000 critical incident vehicle that will be stationed at the West Boylston jail and wheeled out to help local police and fire departments across Worcester County coordinate responses to crisis events such as hostage-takings, hazardous material spills, large-scale fires or terrorist attacks.

The funds come from two federal grants. One, for $346,000, was from a community policing program and was awarded to Sheriff Glodis' predecessor, John M. Flynn. The remaining $168,000 is from a regional Homeland Security grant obtained this year after the new sheriff took office in January. "It's a win-win. This is for all of Worcester County," the sheriff said in an interview.

"And it's in keeping with this administration's goal of providing the resources in technology, intelligence and communications to enable us to be a more pro-active public safety agency." Bids to outfit and provide the high-tech RV-style van are due by July 18, and the sheriff's department has until January to buy the vehicle.

The sheriff said plans for the vehicle were developed in concert with Central Massachusetts police chiefs and the Central Region Homeland Security Council, which was formed after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks to handle emergency response and administer federal security money.

Sheriff Glodis said the vehicle will be maintained and operated by his special services division, the law enforcement wing of his department, which is run by Deputy Sheriff Michael Stevens, a former longtime police officer in Dudley.

While several local law enforcement departments, including the Worcester police, have similar vehicles, the sheriff said his could be used in parts of the county that don't have access to such equipment.

The benefit for local authorities is they don't have to spend their money on keeping up, fueling and staffing a vehicle, and the sheriff's department can operate it without spending additional funds, Sheriff Glodis said. "This will position us to be the brainstem for public safety in any emergency or crisis," he said.

The sheriff emphasized that he does not want to assume policing duties that are the responsibility of local departments, but rather help towns and city law enforcement officials. "It will be at their disposal 24-7," he said. "This will never be put in a community unless a community asks for it."

Must be more fun being Sheriff than Senator

·
Subscribing Member
4,323 Posts
It's going to collect alot of dust as we'll use MSP. What a buch of wackers. Why don't they have a jail that is open 24 hrs a day, pickup prisoners from local pds and transport them to court in the morning for the PDs.

·
Registered
370 Posts
One of the guys on my job spoke to Tom Ridge last year. He asked Ridge why all these grants are going to the Mass sheriffs depts. Ridge told him that all the sheriffs... California, Florida etc. are all getting these grants for homeland security. He went on to say that all the larger primary law enforcement agencies around the country were getting these grants.

When Ridge was alerted to the fact that Mass sheriffs are not policing agencies, he almost fell of his chair. After reading the above article, I assume that this fact was soon forgotten.

I am in no way bashing Mass sheriffs. My opinion is... that there are patrolling agencies throughout the state and country that could really use this cash for much needed equipment...equipment which can and will be used. Not to spend it on dust collectors and parade mobiles.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,693 Posts
OVER 1/2 MILLION DOLLARS!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
:shock:
Where is the media for this one? Let the grant expire and then get it out to the POLICE agencies in Worcester County, or ANYWHERE else. I would rather see the $$$ dry up and get reallocated, than get freakin WASTED like this!!!!!!!
:uc: :A!: :FT:

·
Subscribing Member
233 Posts
Three inmate deaths since he took office. Never mind the jail, it's time to get out into the community! Just like Hogsdon, who lost control of his facility yet feels the need to go out "on patrol."

·
Registered
400 Posts
The only reason the grant went to the sheriff is because the Central Mass Chiefs Association asked the sheriff to be the lead agency. The sheriff had no interest in getting one up until then.

Complain to the chiefs on this one, if you must complain.

As for Tom Ridge not knowing about Mass sheriffs primary role... I believe he is from Pennsylvania, where sheriffs have similar roles to Mass sheriffs. The "news" should not have surprised him.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Once the rank and file realized that the Chiefs were pulling a fast one they had a meeting of over 12 towns and 4 unions that opposed the Sheriff's doing this with Worcester PD leading the charge. What is the deal. The Sheriff's should do half the job that the DOC does with inmates and give out the drug and gang data that they collect. Instead they have delusions of grandeur of being cops by donations.... This isn't the State Police against the Sheriff's.. This is every Police Officer losing equipment $$ and OT to people that are for the most part political hacks....

·
Registered
83 Posts
OTTO, DO YOU KNOW WHY THE CHIEFS IN THAT AREA DIDN'T CALL ON THE STATE POLICE FOR THAT SERVICE? JUST CURIOUS. RHL

·
Registered
400 Posts
The most likely (to me, anyway) reason is if there are several areas of the state hit (natural disaster / terrorist attack) simultaneously the state police cannot be expected to be able to assist everyone.

If local dapartments have their own equipment (collectively) they will be able to respond more efficiently with this equipment than without.

The Feds will only give money for this equipment to departments working regionally. If they don't ask for it the Feds will give it to someone else.

·
Registered
400 Posts
thumper2168";p="67781 said:
Once the rank and file realized that the Chiefs were pulling a fast one they had a meeting of over 12 towns and 4 unions that opposed the Sheriff's doing this with Worcester PD leading the charge. What is the deal. The Sheriff's should do half the job that the DOC does with inmates and give out the drug and gang data that they collect. Instead they have delusions of grandeur of being cops by donations.... This isn't the State Police against the Sheriff's.. This is every Police Officer losing equipment $$ and OT to people that are for the most part political hacks....
Sounds like the meeting was a big success.

The WCSO gives out this type info every day to police departments.

I was unaware that governments gave equipment money to police officers. I thought it went to police departments, run by police chiefs. This vehicle is how they see fit to use the money. The Sheriff was only the "vehicle" to get the vehicle.

By the way, Worcester PD submitted a written endorsement of the plan.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I know I'm going to piss some people off here, but, one day the Sheriffs, who I believe are the highest ranking LE official in the county, are going to have enough of all this pissing and moaning, and just do what they want. That means patrols, etc. Mass. is the only State where Sheriffs dont'; patrol. I think we should take a lesson from this, and let them provide the resources that are much needed. The MSP are ok, however, they are stretched way to thin. There's plenty of scumbags for everyone.

·
Registered
689 Posts
P.S.--I welcome the Sheriffs and all the toys they want to bring to the game. I've been doing this for 25 years and I for one see some of the resources that for example the Franklin Co. Sheriff has. I would have killed for some of his resources when I was a municipal cop. It's the next best thing to this Federal stuff. We need to accept that times are changing and the role of the SD is as well. Mass has always been 30 years behind the rest of the country, and it's because the Chiefs don't want to give up their little rein on authority. That's BS! We need to do whats good for our communities.
WHEW! Enough of my soapbox. :) :t: Let's all have a beer!

G

·
If the MSP is spread way to thing, then why not give it more? Why bring the Sheriff into the LE realm when they should concentrate on their main mission- jails.
The fire dept in many towns are spread thing. Should money be put into the local PD to put out fires, or should more money be put into the FD?

·
Registered
10 Posts
This post was originally for the Sheriff Crisis Vehicle, but once again it has changed into a Sheriff Department bashing. I have been viewing this site for a while now and that's all everyone does is bash the Sheriff's Departments. Every department has its ****bags not just the Sheriff's. Every department has politics, yes there is more in the Sheriff's Department because it is an elected position. It is a shame that we are involved in law enforcement in one way or another and "We all can't get along". There is no politics in me getting my job with the SD. I kept trying for three years until I finally got the job. I don't agree with all the politics but it is there and there is nothing I can do about it. I agree that funding should be spent on hiring more CO's so that officer safety would increase instead of some of these ridiculous vehicles and units. We do need funding for TAC Teams so we can handle our own problems but the State Stop Team and NEMLEC SWAT are there to handle situations outside our facilities. You guys do need more funding for more officers and updated equipment as well and I think it should be available to you as well. I am proud to work for the SD and to be a correctional officer and be part of the law enforcement community. I don't think I am a police officer even though deputy sheriffs do have arrest powers it is still different and unfortunately all the wanabe's out don't realize this. Unfortunately all the wannabe's have given us a bad name and you all ridicule all of us for these people being F***-ups. It is a shame that I can't get the same professional courtesy as police officers seeing we are all in law enforcement one way or another. I hold nothing against any other local or state police officers, as far as I am concerned we are all family. If I saw an officer on the street in need of help I would put my life on the line for them without a second thought. I am a CO, but if the SD's ever did have patrol deputies that might be something I would be interested in. I would only do this if I was sent to a full time municipal or state academy so I would have the proper training. We are not all wannabe's. I don't think my opinion is going to make a difference on how every feels about the SD's on this site but I just had to let you know we are not all bad.

·
Subscribing Member
4,323 Posts
We need to accept that times are changing and the role of the SD is as well
You need to go back to Florida. On another note an investigation revealed that the Worcester County SHeriff Department has been getting the Ch90 books illegally through Worcester PD. The investigation continues to see who actually stole the books from WPD and issued them to the hacks. Anyway, since this has been addressed ,I think we can rest assured that no more books will make their way into the deputy's hands. Like I said before, the RMV has the SHeriffs on the DO NOT ISSUE list. I hear the WCSD is starting their patrol initiative with a dozen or so of new black and white vehicles and something on the side of them refering to themselves as Community Policing Oriented. I think it's time for MSP and Mass Chiefs to get together and put a stop to this and restrict sheriff's to their own jail property.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Who's from Florida? And I wouldn't care if they were patrolling DoD property. Hell they use our facility for their academy. There's plenty of work for everyone. I just think that if trained properly for LE type work, they are an added resource. But yes K9Rocco my opinion and yours will not matter. The Sheriff bashing will continue in Mass because once again, we are 30 years behind the rest of the country. Oh well.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Who's from Florida? And I wouldn't care if they were patrolling DoD property. Hell they use our facility for their academy. There's plenty of work for everyone. I just think that if trained properly for LE type work, they are an added resource. But yes K9Rocco my opinion and yours will not matter. The Sheriff bashing will continue in Mass because once again, we are 30 years behind the rest of the country. Oh well.

·
Registered
225 Posts
No we are not behind. This state is different like CT, we have a very strong State Police and just about 95% of the towns in MA have their own police departments. Between the MSP and Local PDs with their regional teams there is absolutely no need for Sheriffs to do patrol , their purpose is jails. They are not properly trained, are nothing but appointed hacks and wannabes and have no formal hiring process. If you live in MA and like to do police work, join a police department or MSP and do the job, don't try to imitate.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.