Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sheriff Brings Command Center to LA.

When he packed up 17 of his deputies and headed south in an eight-vehicle motorcade that included an $800,000 mobile command center, Middlesex Sheriff James DiPaola figured he'd be one of many offering help to residents of hurricane-ravaged Louisiana. When he pulled into the tiny town of Bogalusa this weekend, however, DiPaola and his men were just about the only law and order on the streets.
Like dozens of other areas, the town, located about 70 miles north of New Orleans, was pummeled by Hurricane Katrina last week, knocking out power and leaving many residents homeless.

"Both (state senator Ben) Nevers and the parish president said he was the first to show up with any aid," Middlesex County Sheriff Public Information Officer Mark Lawhorne said yesterday. "They're working with local police and sheriffs down there, patrolling streets and protecting food and fuel distribution (areas)," he added.
The department's high-tech mobile command center has been crucial to the effort.
The massive vehicle is about the size of a chartered bus, and comes equipped with satellite phones, computers and a wide array of communications equipment, which has allowed officers from different departments, using different radio equipment, to stay in constant contact.

"They're having a terrible time (down there)," Lawhorne said. "Antennas are down everywhere. Communications are virtually nil in that area. They are trying to restore that, but in the time in between we are using our communications vehicle to help restore that."

The Middlesex contingent will be in Louisiana for about two weeks.

·
Needs more complaints
4,309 Posts
PBC FL Cop said:
Hat's off to DiPaulo . I'm sure LA loves the Ma sheriff, even if Mass doesn't :baby13:
Glad to see the citizens of Middlesex County getting their money's worth...plus I'm sure the amount of money spent on gas was enough to build a regional lock up.

·
Subscribing Member
3,238 Posts
New Orleans is being patrolled by the NYPD, California + Florida Highway Patrols not to mention the hundreds of other out-of-state law enforcement agencies. This is about helping our fellow Americans in their time of need, not about gas prices in Middlesex County.

·
Subscribing Member
583 Posts
Did anyone else find it funny that the primary focus of the press release/article was how awesome the sheriff's totally neato command center is, and not the relief effort? :roll:

·
Needs more complaints
4,309 Posts
I wonder how NIMS is working out down there? Or is it ICS? Or which acronym is it?

·
Subscribing Member
3,238 Posts
One of the major complaints from the New Orleans area was how everyone was holding press conferences, meetings and making phone calls instead of sending in the troops. Now its sounds like the Middlesex Sheriff showed up before there was an over abundance of law enforcement officers in that area, which is why they were so well received, opposed to the Boston PD, which came after.

I don't have an argument about what your saying reference to a coordinated response or contacting LA for their imput, but sometimes you just have to act.

In reality though, how long would the Middlesex Sheriff have had to wait for his phone to ring from the MA State Police requesting the use of his command center and deputies??

·
Registered
22 Posts
[
Regardless, this unsolicited response is just another example of the "Lone Wolf" posturing for notoriety rather than doing a designated job. This is NOT an example of a team player. You talk to any LE officer on this board and if they are handling an incident in their area, the last thing they want is someone arriving unannounced and setting up camp. It's common courtesy to let someone know you're available to assist, and follow their lead as to what services you can provide. You don't charge in like Mighty Mouse cheering "Here I come to save the day!!!".

How do we know that the Middlesex Sheriff's were not requested or better yet did not make arrangements to be there?

·
2,297 Posts
Clarkiek is just DYING to get a real police job. He thinks that the Sheriffs will help him by way of their pushy, unwanted forays into Law Enforcement.

They are their own worst enemy. LE Deputies are poorly trained and from what I have seen personally and by all reports, incompetent and even dangerous when involved in police work.

The Jail guys are fine. The LE guys need to stop the political donations and get back to work wherever it is they are employed. Thery can always take Civil Service if they want to do police work.

Clarkiek, if the Sheriffs keep pushing it, you will see more initiatives like the Sheriffs Powers on County Land Bill and Federal Investigations into funding misuse.

·
Grim reaper
1,361 Posts
SO THATS WHAT IT WAS!?!?!

I was NB on 495 Friday afternoon in very heavy traffic due to a rubberneck factor of a serious crash on the SB side (25mph for 7 miles). As I was crawling NB I saw & heard the MCSO cruiser and black SUV with lights and siren activated :/: towing some white generator looking thing trying to get through traffic SB, to little avail. No one was going anywhere fast in either direction. I couldnt figure out why they would be going to the crash scene but now it makes sense, they were going to L.A.

G

·
Anyone who has interacted w/ an off-futy deputy on a MV stop and ran their KQs and BOPs will know why they shouldn't be a police officer. It blows my mind what sometimes pops up and the amount of items. This isn't a rare case either. It is too bad, because there are some real good guys and they have to share the shame.

·
Subscribing Member
583 Posts
Our agency, like MSP (and along with MSP, from what I understand), assessed its resources and determined what kind of package it could send to help out. Then, after consulting with LA State Police and other agencies in the region, we were advised that our resources would be MORE HELPFUL at a later date when current staffing would need to be rotated out. Those resources remain ready to go when they are requested. Imagine that, actually asking the people in the region what they need before just throwing on the blue lights and heading down the NJ Turnpike?!?! A novel concept!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Anyone catch the local Fox news last night?

It showed the Middlesex Sheriff's swat team responding lights/sirens to a barricaded suspect/standoff in N.O.
I guess their still down there.

·
Registered
105 Posts
bbelichick don't get upset, as soon as they rebuild the area the malls will be open again. Then you and your mall security vehicle can go give them a hand also.

·
2,297 Posts
Sorry "Jo", I have a real, Full Time Police Job. I don't have to solicit a job from a political hack by making donations for a tin star.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.