Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shaq helps Fla. police arrest man accused of assault
MIAMI BEACH, Fla.- NBA star Shaquille O'Neal provided an assist to police over the weekend, trailing a man who allegedly assaulted a gay couple before alerting an arresting officer.

The 7-foot-1 Miami Heat center, who is in the process of becoming a Miami Beach reserve officer, was driving on South Beach around 3 a.m. on Sunday. He saw a passenger in a car yell anti-gay slurs at the couple, who were walking, said Bobby Hernandez, a spokesman for the Miami Beach Police Department.
The man then got out of the car and threw a bottle, hitting one of the pedestrians, who was not seriously hurt. The man got back in the car, which sped off. O'Neal followed, flagging down an officer who made an arrest, Hernandez said.

Michael Gonzalez, 18, was arrested on charges of aggravated assault and assault with a deadly weapon. The driver of the car was not charged.

O'Neal, who hopes to be a police chief or county sheriff one day, was already being fitted for his Miami Beach police uniform before he helped the police out.

"For this incident I don't want to be credited as an individual who does police work," O'Neal said in a statement. "I want to be credited as a Miami Beach police officer."

Copyright 2005 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
"For this incident I don't want to be credited as an individual who does police work," O'Neal said in a statement. "I want to be credited as a Miami Beach police officer."
Sorry Shaq, with all due respect, until you've been sworn in, you're an individual who helped the police. If this was LA County we could credit Reserve Deputy Sheriff Shaq, but it's not. IMHO saying you want to be a police chief or sherrif you sound like a wacker, but not as much so as when you told a newspaper you wanted to go into undercover narcotics. #-o I know I can sleep safely knowing that a seven foot tall baskeball player is watching over Miami Beach.

Sorry, I'm just grumpy today.:moon:

G

·
He definitely is a wannabe, but it is nice to see a professional athlete trying to stop crime instead of committing it, like usual.

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
I agree VERY good point. Some of these so-called "Professional" athletes commit more crime than the average shitbird. At least Shaq's heart is in the right place.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.