Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the acceptance letter on Thursday, for the Sept 29, 2003 DOC Academy.

How many others got this letter? The worst part of this is going to be the almost two hour drive I will have to make every day back and forth.

Good luck to all who are going and I will see you there.

·
Subscribing Member
1,167 Posts
I am a BTC 284 Graduate. When you get down there, let me know who you have for drill instructors. Theres a few real good guys down there. No one I can really say I didn't like.

·
Registered
36 Posts
JV78

Wait until you graduate and then they tell you you're going to Shirley even though you live in Bridgewater!! I dont know where you are from but dont be surprised if something like that happens. When I graduated there were guys that lived in Fitchburg driving to Bridgewater and Walpole. So that 2 hr ride right now might seem like a gift in 10 weeks.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Oh and just make sure you are prepared with EVERYTHING on your first day or your first day and maybe your quick stay there will be miserable. And lock your car door.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When you say "everything", what exactly do you mean. I have all of the stuff they specified but they told us to leave PT Gear out on day one.

Also, I am fully aware that I could be sent to Shirley after the academy, there are other reasons over the next couple of months why this drive is going to suck a little more than usual. Don't get me wrong driving for two hours under any circumstances sucks.

Thanks for the advice.

JV

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Beau,

Don't take the last reply in the wrong way...Any further advice you have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Again

·
Registered
148 Posts
Yes the ride is going to suck. I have about a 67 mile commute each way but I think i am going to rent an apartment along the Rte 495 belt for a few months.

·
Subscribing Member
1,167 Posts
The academy starts out as a real pain in the arse in the first weeks and slows down considerably by week 10. Few things for the first day: Make sure you don't bring any handcuff keys, metal pens (plastic bic's are suggested), glass bottles, any thing an inmate could use to kill you. I remember the big screaming speech one of the DI's gave about sending him back dead in a box to his family, because some recruit brought a handcuff key and a glass bottle to a correctional facility. Make sure your evaluations are on time. Make sure your clean shaven, like up and down, or you'll get the "What did you shave with a rock?" speech. Get a start on getting a glassy like polish on your boots now. A lot of these things seem really basic, but all of these things happened to recruits on day one. There's a million things I could tell you about that place. But those are a few starters, let me know if you have any questions.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the advice!

I am pretty sure I have all of those things you mentioned covered but in the meantime if you can think of anything else I will be glad to listen to any further suggestions.

The two mottos to live by in any academy situation are: 1) Speak when spoken to AND 2) Fly under the radar. I plan on sticking to these like white on rice.

On another note, I checked out the DOC Website the other day, they have a pretty good section on "Threat Groups" and some decent links to go with it, that stuff is pretty cool. Do they spend anytime significant time on this over the ten weeks?

JV

·
Subscribing Member
1,167 Posts
When I went, an Investigator from my Department taught for both the County and the State Classes. I think the class was about four hours. It was pretty basic. Gangs are my big law enforcement interest. Theres a lot of reading out there you can do. A lot of stuff on the internet. The State Police puts on a free class at New Braintree too. It's not that great, but some good basics.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.