Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
3,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SENATE, No. 1164
By Mr. Brown, a petition (accompanied by bill, Senate, No. 1164) of Scott P. Brown and Richard J. Ross for legislation relative to the powers and duties of the sheriff's department. Municipalities and Regional Government

The Commonwealth of Massachusetts
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the Year Two Thousand and Five.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AN ACT RELATIVE TO THE POWERS AND DUTIES OF THE SHERIFF'S DEPARTMENT

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives in General Court assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:

SECTION 1.

Section 13 of chapter 37 of the General Laws is hereby amended by inserting after the first sentence the following new sentence:-

The County Sheriff's Department's powers and duties shall be limited to County owned property only.

This would certainly end all the confusion about a Sheriff's Patrolling ability if it passes!!!

·
2,297 Posts
I imagine that's the point. Then the Sheriffs can't complain that they need Police powers for in-house investigations because they will have them on COunty Property and there won't be any of this bullsh*t with the SO's stealing federal funds for unnecessary equipment.

·
Grim reaper
1,361 Posts
Well I am willing to bet there are at least two Police Chiefs and one District Attorney who will express their support of this bill :wink:

·
2,297 Posts
WhiteLine";p="65396 said:
On January 26, 2005 it was referred to the committee on Municipalities and Regional Government. There it will sit until it goes into Third Reading which is the Kiss of Death.

Two Police Chiefs out of 350+ Police Chiefs and only one DA?

You are better off waiting for the jolly fat man in the suit red to land on your roof and give you presents. Your odds are better.
And then it will be refiled until some incident gives it the momentum it needs to pass.

And I think the previous poster was referring to a few OBVIOUS supporters. If you think the DA's and Police Chiefs are friend of the Sheriff's Offices, you are insane.

·
2,297 Posts
PBC FL Cop";p="65429 said:
This really has a slim chance of passing.
Yes, God only knows what the poor citizens of Mass would do if they didn't have Sheriffs running around pretending to be Police Officers. There would be more funding for legitimate cops, less confusion and fewer screwball Sheriffs incidents.

Mass Chaos. :roll:

·
Registered
83 Posts
As long as the sheriffs continue to bring in the votes and supply patronage jobs to the politicians there will be no change except that they might actually get more. rhl

G

·
If the Sheriffs' Office wants to take the lead in some type of law enforcement then I have a suggestion. The Sheriffs should use their juice and push for legislation to get SD and Immigration to work smoothly together. SD should tell the real police, "If you come into contact w/ illegals, we'll take them and work with the Feds". That would be a great help to Homeland Security and on the welfare/free care system. The RMV would loose money, since they collect registration fees from all the "X" number illegals.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,693 Posts
Any more about this bill? Where are you legislative watchdogs at?

·
1,952 Posts
I have a question, if passed, would the sheriffs continue to provide services such as BCI and K-9 to those that request it. Just yesterday a few from Barnstable came down to Wellfleet.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
MSP75 said:
If the Sheriffs' Office wants to take the lead in some type of law enforcement then I have a suggestion. The Sheriffs should use their juice and push for legislation to get SD and Immigration to work smoothly together. SD should tell the real police, "If you come into contact w/ illegals, we'll take them and work with the Feds". That would be a great help to Homeland Security and on the welfare/free care system. The RMV would loose money, since they collect registration fees from all the "X" number illegals.
[-o< I hope so, illegals are my one hardcore pet peeve. [-o< Hell, the Sheriff's WANT to do law enforcement work and the ICE people DON'T WANT to do any law enforcement work, it sounds good.

:-/ I don't think it'd pass though

·
Registered
22 Posts
bbelichick said:
Yes, God only knows what the poor citizens of Mass would do if they didn't have Sheriffs running around pretending to be Police Officers. There would be more funding for legitimate cops, less confusion and fewer screwball Sheriffs incidents.

Mass Chaos. :roll:
Well, I have not seen any Sheriff's getting arrested or indicted in the news paper lately! I have seen a lot of news about Police Officers getting arrested lately, and indicted

·
Registered
22 Posts
Wolfman]Maybe because they brought their traveling road show to the Gulf Coast?

I believe the real reason is the Sheriff's have better back ground investigator's
Hmm That sounds like a great reason. :moon:

·
Subscribing Member
885 Posts
clarkiek said:
Well, I have not seen any Sheriff's getting arrested or indicted in the news paper lately! I have seen a lot of news about Police Officers getting arrested lately, and indicted
Guess you havent heard about one certain Sherriff's record from Maryland?

And no one seems to really care if a CO get's arrested (becasue it sure-as-shit happens)... they're not cops, and society realizes this, therefore doesnt care...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.