Senate’s sweeping police reform bill would end qualified immunity | Page 8 | MassCops

Senate’s sweeping police reform bill would end qualified immunity

Discussion in 'Politics & Law Enforcement' started by USAF3424, Jul 6, 2020.

1. NEPS

NEPS 75th N.H.P.A.

Your advocacy mattered, by the way. The problems LED/John Scheft pointed out regarding the severe limitations to the use of force were addressed, mostly, in the conference version because officers and police unions complained to their representatives in the house of representatives.

And if the bill would make too many things subject to decertification, the standard of proof the POST would need for a decertification decision is not something cops can complain about: Your department can fire you and an arbitrator or civil service commission can keep you fired if there is a "preponderance of the evidence" (more likely than not) of your misconduct. POST, however, cannot decertify unless there is "clear and convincing" evidence of your misconduct. This odd and rare standard of evidence lies somewhere north of a preponderance but south of proof beyond reasonable doubt.

The anti-police crowd must have choked on voting for that part.

The Governor has the power to strike out provisions he does not want to become law and I believe he will do that. We will see what is to come today or tomorrow.

zm88, Kilvinsky and 02136colonel like this.
  2. Roy Fehler

Roy Fehler MassCops Member

I don't think anyone has a problem with that provision, except untrained constables.

3. CCCSD

CCCSD MassCops Member

Wait! Who needs training?

Goose likes this.
  4. Goose

Goose The list is long but distinguished. Staff Member

We're not leaving til we're heaving!!

CCCSD likes this.
  5. Bloodhound

Bloodhound MassCops Member

So much for that. Pretty much just wants to preserve the MPTC for training and won't sign otherwise.

[​IMG]

zm88, GARDA, RodneyFarva and 2 others like this.
  6. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

After reading most of the Governor's proposal (and I really did read most of it) a lot of it got tedious so I used the "FIND" option and no where did I see the word CONSTABLE. Where does it say they have to go to an academy? I may have slipped by it.

CCCSD likes this.
  7. Roy Fehler

Roy Fehler MassCops Member

Don’t ask questions, peon. DD634EE3-4D34-4B9A-921A-517672875645.jpeg

Kilvinsky, Goose and CCCSD like this.
  8. mpd61

mpd61 Retired Fed, Active Special

225 hour Bridge Academy anyone!?!?;)

RodneyFarva and CCCSD like this.
  9. CCCSD

CCCSD MassCops Member

Way have an academy to learn how to build bridges? YouTube that shit!

Goose and JR90 like this.
  10. NEPS

NEPS 75th N.H.P.A.

In the original bill in line 581, constables are included in the definition of law enforcement officer when they make any arrest.

11. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

I see. Interesting that it was removed.

12. Foxy85

Foxy85 MassCops Member

Huh? Lol

13. USM C-2

USM C-2 MassCops Member

Was it actually in a section the Gov's proposal removed, or was it just not mentioned in his proposal, therefore left as is? I haven't cross-checked the two, so unsure.