Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does one go about selling a firearm from themselves to another? After the academy I am going to be selling my gun and I wanted to know how I do it.

·
Subscribing Member
1,281 Posts
There is a transfer of ownership form that I believe you obtain from the CHSB, then return the paperwork.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is a SigP220 .45, brand new except for the week I use it at the academy. I will be selling it after graduation which is the 17th of December. I will probaly ask for about $600 (depending on what a dealer tells me I can get) which includes the gun and 3 8-round Sig magazines. Plus its case and all the books and all paperwork that came with it.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Just curious...why are you selling it (other than needing the money :D )? I have one...but, hey, I'd prefer a 1911... 8)

·
Thread Killa
6,056 Posts
Well...

You go to your local PD and get an FA-10 form. When selling fill it out, (self explanatory) and you keep a copy, they keep a copy, and one goes to the address on the form....
simple....

Now here's the tricky part:

The gun MUST be MA compliant...via the MSP firearms roster and via the AG's office. It may not have NEW high capacity magazines...if it doesn't meet the above, you can either sell it out of state via an auction site or only sell it to a cop or retired cop in MA.

Since it's a .45 caliber the high capacity mags is a non issue, the gun is on the list for the MSP...but I can't remember if they are AG approved...we only sell sig to LE so I don't keep up...

·
Registered
267 Posts
Another few questions.
Is the Glock 23 .40 on the list?
I am moving out of state and don't want to take it with me..although I love it.. :(
I have two 10 round mags that are unused.
I have 3 "new" LEO-Only 13 round mags for it and I know I can't sell them to Joe Schmo, but can I sell the Hi-cap mags to a fellow LEO?

·
Thread Killa
6,056 Posts
Glocks are LEO only in MA unless pre 1998.
High caps can go to dealers or LEO, the gun can be sold to a dealer or LEO in MA...but not an individual. You would find a better market for it out of state.

Just a clarification: The rules regarding the transfer of firearms between individuals is a bit different than between a dealer and an individual.

Individuals can sell anything to anyone, list are of no real concern. The real issue for LE guns being sold to individuals is the "purchased for duty use, not to be resold" clause that many of you purchase your guns under.

Example: A LEO wants to buy a gun not approved in MA (like a Glock). I can order it and sell it to him or her BUT the gun can only be sold for official use (duty or off duty). It also is clearly stated that gun will not be purchased for resale (in MA).
In many cases the guns were cheaper because you didn't have to pay "FET" a federal tax for sporting firearms. So there is a very fuzzy area in the law if a LEO resells a gun he or she ostensibly bought for "duty" use.

Most fo the time we take them in as trade guns and then sell them outside of MA to cover all the bases as a dealer.

Another few questions.
Is the Glock 23 .40 on the list?
I am moving out of state and don't want to take it with me..although I love it.. :(
I have two 10 round mags that are unused.
I have 3 "new" LEO-Only 13 round mags for it and I know I can't sell them to Joe Schmo, but can I sell the Hi-cap mags to a fellow LEO?

·
Registered
131 Posts
I bought a firearm about 10 months ago and all the forms were sent in to the proper people and when you check the Firearms Sale section on the LEAPS terminal it still does not say that i own that gun. I sold one about a year ago and it still has me as the owner and not the person who bought it.. the state says they are "backed up"

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.