Self Sponsoring/MSP | MassCops

Self Sponsoring/MSP

Discussion in 'MPTC' started by Kenny, Mar 25, 2016.

1. Kenny

Kenny MassCops Member

All the excitement for a potential 83rd RTT has me curious about a few things. I'm currently set to be sponsored by a PD into the next available full time MPTC academy. Most are currently in session so it looks like the next academies will be starting sometime in the fall/winter. Hypothetically lets say I have a shot at the recruitment process for the 83rd since my name was very close to being reached for the 82nd. If I've already paid for and started the MPTC academy and I get fortunate enough to be chosen by the MSP, I wont be getting any money back from the MPTC will I? This might be a dumb questions and I'd obviously be financially OK if I graduated from the MSP academy. However it's a good chunk of change to pay for the tuition, equipment, medical exam etc up front.

Of course this is all Hypothetical and I realize I have some great opportunities ahead of me regardless of what happens. Just looking for some insight since saving money now to be prepared for 6 months of limited income is important for me. Thanks all.

2. Goose

Goose The list is long but distinguished. Staff Member

I highly doubt it unless you have a prior arrangement with the MPTC. Keep in mind if the class is at full enrollment you would likely be keeping them from filling your seat with another self-sponsor.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
    Kenny likes this.
  3. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

Remember your full time academy is only good for two years after graduation , which means you have two years to get a municipal or umass job. These are the new changes. Part time employment doesn't count anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. 508Junie

508Junie MassCops Member

Part time employment does count toward keeping your full time cert active. I emailed Mary Lou Powers on this issue a few month's back and she said as long as you have police powers whether full time or part time, that your full time academy cert will remain active.

5. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

Mary Lou Powers said that if you graduate a full time academy and work part time then you have five years to find a full time job. You must work in a capacity relevant to your training certificate. If you work no where then you have two years. So once you go over five years and are a part timer still even though you go to inservice, you're full time academy expires

Edmizer1 and Kenny like this.
  6. felony

felony MassCops Member

The MSP is never a given. If you have the ability to self sponsor then do so. With all these departments leaving the CS system, it will be your only key to get on. You are correct in your assumption that your money for tuition is gone.

Kenny and pahapoika like this.
  7. Kenny

Kenny MassCops Member

I knew about having 2 years to find employment after graduation but I didn't realize it had to be full time. The plan was for me to start working part time with this municipality after graduating to start. So I would have 5 years after beggining employment as a part timer? Or 5 years from the graduation date?

8. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

We have a kid that was PT with a full time academy and another guy that graduated with him. One got a job at umass and is ok other didn't get a ft job and five years passed so it's not good. According to the kid that went to umass , even private colleges don't count for the five years. Kinda of whacky I think full time is full time as long as you're sworn.

Ghost12345 likes this.
  9. Edmizer1

Edmizer1 MassCops Member

Is there any link to these new rules?

10. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

I guess its in the new updated CMR or whatever they use as their guidelines.

11. samadam78

samadam78 MassCops Member

How is this possible? That means that every officer at BU northeastern bc mit etc after 5 years isn't considered to hold an academy cert? This cant be right....

12. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

I know it doesn't make sense

13. felony

felony MassCops Member

You want to hear messed up? I know of a kid, who had a out of state academy, got hired by a PD and did not have to attend a law package class or anything. Just showed up to work and hit the streets, with just a scheft crim and MV law book. Powers said he was good to go and did not need anything, just pass the exemption exam. Total BS.

j809 likes this.
  14. Pvt. Cowboy

Pvt. Cowboy Lemme take a selfie Staff Member

More proof that training needs to be standardized in Mass.

Kenny and samadam78 like this.
  15. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

Saw this and right away thought of you Cowboy :cool: