Selective Service Requirement | MassCops

Selective Service Requirement

Discussion in 'Federal Agencies' started by nikmac, Jul 25, 2009.

1. nikmac

nikmac MassCops Member

Hey I have a question regarding the selective service requirement as it pertains to federal employment. I am looking into federal LE jobs and am in the process with one right now and the issue of selective service registration came up.

When I was 18 (im now 28) I enlisted in the US Army, signing a contract for six years as an MP, I took the ASVAB, and proceeded to go through all the medicals, they x-rayed my knees and I was told I had "Osgood-Schlatter disease" a nonsense knee problem that had never affected me in 4 years of HS sports and never since as I am still an actively competing athlete. I was subsequently DQ'd from the Army and was instructed to appeal by the recruiters, I did and to their great surprise my appeal was denied. I was devastated, the military was my life plan at the time.

Back to the Selective Service, I had never heard of it until now, so I checked and I was never registered, its crazy. So now I have to make long winded explanations about why im not some "softy draft dodger". Will this foolishness end my dreams of Federal LE? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. CJIS

CJIS MassCops Member

If you are still interested in joining the services a buddy of mine had a medical condition similar to yours. He wanted Army but they told him no. He went to Air Force and convinced them and they gave him the green light.

As far as forgetting to register check out this site: Selective Service System: Welcome I am sure you will find the answer you need. You can also call this number: Phone: 847-688-6888 or toll-free: 1-888-655-1825

3. Hawk19

Hawk19 New Member

Osgood-Schlatter really isn't that rare... Many child athletes get it.

4. ArchAngel2

ArchAngel2 Grand Admin Commander

You should be ok, you tested for the military and they denied you for a foolish reason, that should fulfill your obligation. DO NOT take my word for it either call the 800 # or visit the website for a bona fide answer.

5. nikmac

nikmac MassCops Member

Yes its common and can be treated and It has never bothered me. Its more of a childhood disease anyway and is actually more common in athletes. No thanks CJIS, Its been over ten years now since I wanted to join the military, I now have a good job, im about to get married, dogs, house, that kind of stuff. I have called the selective service once and spoke with some donkey that just looked up my ss# and told me that Im not registered. I explained my situation to him and he just repeated himself, maybe ill give it another shot.

I completely understand and agree with the purpose and mission of the Selective Service, people who dodge the draft or any service to their country deserve nothing. I am not that guy, I wanted to give six years of my life to active duty to help me pay for school, serve my country, and get outstanding training and experience. Due to some FREAK phantom medical condition I was DQ once and then DQ again upon my appeal. What do you guys think is this going to prevent me from getting in with the FEDS.

6. OfficerObie59

OfficerObie59 Public Trough Feeder

I would think you'd be all set as long as your situation were to be validated by an actual person with a brain. Your willingness to join the Army should show your lack of intent to avoid service. Just make sure you follow up with a compent authority like AA2 just said.

7. NEPS

NEPS 75th N.H.P.A.

Never heard of the Selective Service requirement? It figures. Why would a high school educate its students on the requirement that federal law for its students? Could it be that the law is one that may not be liked by those who run the school?

Sigh.

8. nikmac

nikmac MassCops Member

I am so frustrated with this whole thing, I contacted the Boston MEPS and they said they don’t keep medicals past seven years, I called the Army recruitment office I went to they don’t seem to keep any records. The Selective Service was not helpful either they basically said it would be in the hands of the hiring agency.

Any one with some insight, am I doomed because I didn’t know about the selective service, even though I signed to give six years of my life to my country, spent hours taking the ASVAB, then several more hours at MEPS.

Some one please help! It’s driving me crazy.

9. Crvtte65

Crvtte65 Moderator

Not sure what you think any of us can do. Just apply and you'll find out what they say. Pending on the agency, they may have a polygraph so if there is no record they may use that as a question for you if you get that far

10. nikmac

nikmac MassCops Member

No I know no one can say for sure its just on my mind, I appreciate the all the advice you guys have given. The agencies that Im talking to seem positive it will work out. Thanks again, I just wanted to see what other people in LE thought.

11. grn3charlie

grn3charlie Yeah, THAT GUY!

If by any chance you have any paperwork from that time showing your ASVAB test, DQ documentation, any recruitment paperwork etc. I'm sure that might go some way to explaining your circumstances at the time. On the other hand, if you never apply for a FED position then you will never know.

12. justanotherparatrooper

justanotherparatrooper Pissin' in liberals cheerio's for 40 years :) Staff Member

Just register for Selective Service, problem solved. My youngest is registered and he has cerebal palsy. That way you can just answer yes to the question.