Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone clarify something for me :?:

From what I understand, if you stops someone and they are the owner/operator, and the operator has a suspended license, you can remove the plates from the vehicle and turn them in to the RMV. Someone tell me if I'm wrong? Thats they way I learned in the academy. I work with some guys who won't do that for whatever reason.

Second part of the question. Joe Schmoe is operating after suspension, he is locked up/or summonsed. You remove the plates from the car to be turned into the registry. The next day Joe Schmoe pays the citation he never paid and gets his license reinstated through the RMV. He comes to the police station and says he wants to pick up his plates and that his license is all taken care of. What can/do you do? Do you tell him have a nice day and take it up with the registry? Or can or do you give him his plates back?

I would say no and let him take it up with the RMV. After all the plates were seized in accordance with the RMV. The reason why I ask is that this has happened and we have some people I work with POs and/or dispatchers that end up handing them thier plates back. Half the time the plates just end up in a big pile waiting to go to the registry.

I hope someone can help to clarify this for me. Thanks in advance.

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
GPD11 said:
Can anyone clarify something for me :?:

Second part of the question. Joe Schmoe is operating after suspension, he is locked up/or summonsed. You remove the plates from the car to be turned into the registry. The next day Joe Schmoe pays the citation he never paid and gets his license reinstated through the RMV. He comes to the police station and says he wants to pick up his plates and that his license is all taken care of. What can/do you do? Do you tell him have a nice day and take it up with the registry? Or can or do you give him his plates back?

I would say no and let him take it up with the RMV. After all the plates were seized in accordance with the RMV. The reason why I ask is that this has happened and we have some people I work with POs and/or dispatchers that end up handing them their plates back. Half the time the plates just end up in a big pile waiting to go to the registry.
First part (you are right) though some co's frown upon this so I don't do it too often (attitude is everything)

Second part...

If they clear it up and have proof (aka running them through the RMV) then we give the plates back (if they seem like a decent person who just made a mistake...(again, attitude is everything) if they are acting like an ass I send them packing to the local RMV office.

Out of state plates (RI mostly) we just snatch and they have to deal with the RI RMV.

·
Registered
164 Posts
There is a guideline somewhere on LEAPS which says to pull the plates when you arrest for operating after susp/revo. I can't recall if it was in news or alerts, probably alerts. Nice thing to have to back up your argument.

STAY SAFE

·
Registered
144 Posts
You might want to look at why they are suspended. Payment Default for one speed violation is different than RSU/Habitual Traffic Offender. Gil is right in line with "attitude means everything". We have many "rights" as police officers but using descretion in situations often goes much further than always "by the numbers". ie; Out of state driver without license in hand...computer says they have clear or valid status in their state. By Mass. law they are unlicensed. Do you arrest them? Summons them? Or just gig them for speeding which you originally stopped them for? Situation dictates and "attitude means everything"! :naughty:

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies, I just wasn't sure if there were any specific guidelines for the plates. Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
RMV Plate seizure

Gives you a great excuse to tow the car if there is a passenger willing to drive. Oh, and by the way...........inventory check? O:)

G

·
my PD's practice was to confirm an ACTV status on both reg and op oln if they got the issue cleared up and they are all active then they r good 2 go. of course things change.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts