Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Manchester Police Try To Improve Community Policing

MANCHESTER, N.H. -- Manchester police are trying out Segway transporters as part of an effort to make officers more accessible to the community.

Police said the scooter-type devices help officers connect with residents.

"I drove one up and down Elm Street, and everyone wanted to talk to me," Sgt. Ernie Goodno said. "It's a great way to get into a conversation with people." The Manchester Police Department has been trying out the Segways in a pilot program that will last through September. The devices also provide mobility and access officers might not otherwise have, Goodno said.
"Segways can get into tighter places and come up on people where they don't hear us," he said.
But Segways are expensive, and Goodno said the primary focus is to serve the community best.
"So maybe that money could go toward crime-fighting areas that are more important than being on a Segway," he said.
Chief David Mara said the Segways are one thing he is trying to get officers closer to residents and more involved in the community.
"It all comes down to quality-of-life issues," Mara said. "It's not just about your heavy crimes. It's about loud music. It's about being able to walk down the street and feel safe."
As his officers become more visible, Mara said he is trying to be more visible, too. He has been holding community outreach meetings with residents and visited the West Side on Tuesday night.
"Instead of sitting at my desk at the police department, it's good for me to get out here and hear what they have to say," Mara said.
Also part of the chief's plan is to make community officers available after hours through the neighborhood police resource centers. Community officers' cell phone numbers and e-mail addresses will be posted.
Mara said that in the past, the department prioritized calls. For example, a car break-in wasn't dealt with before a more serious crime. But now, community officers will allow the department to address the relatively minor issues in a more timely fashion.

http://www.wmur.com/news/17246524/detail.html

·
Super Moderator
5,852 Posts
I wouldn't be caught dead riding one of these around

That being said, why not invest in some mountain bikes if you want to do community policing? Much better, can do everything the Seg-gay can and you have the bonus of guys who actually excercise to get places. Works for me, I have to kick my duty belt in a notch or two every riding season.

·
Zombie Hunter
4,815 Posts
Reason numero uno to never have one....
I second that. I got into policing because of my lack of people skills.

·
Subscribing Member
1,004 Posts
I wouldn't be caught dead riding one of these around

That being said, why not invest in some mountain bikes if you want to do community policing? Much better, can do everything the Seg-gay can and you have the bonus of guys who actually excercise to get places. Works for me, I have to kick my duty belt in a notch or two every riding season.
I agree. We actually had one for a 30 day loaner and aside from being somewhat of a novelity, it wasn't nearly as practical as a mountain bike. The Chief ended up passing on it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts