Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I received a speeding ticket on the MassPike one day ago by a MSP. It reads that I was going 83 in 65 ... Cop states that he is charging me just 100 dollars which is less than half of what it should be. I was passing multiple vehicles in order to pull over and check my fuel cover - I don't think I was speeding and on top of that I was shifting to 6th gear so it would have been really rough going 83 in 5th gear!. I smelled gas and wanted to make sure I didn't forget to do something. I told him this and he also wrote it on the ticket. It's a new-to-me car which is the second problem... He gave me a warning for an expired inspection sticker that I didn't switch out when I bought the car two months ago. I totally forgot! I went and got a new sticker this morning :) I know I should probably be grateful but at minimum I am going to appeal.

The only other time I got a speeding ticket was in 2004. I appealed the ticket and it was totally cleared.

1. would the 2004 ticket (that I appealed and won) still be visible in a MSP database/RMV system for the courts to see? I want to say that I don't have another ticket when I go to court.
2. do I have a good chance of appealing this ticket? - I do not want a surcharge on my insurance.
3. I have a new inspection sticker as of today and plan on bringing the inspection document to court to demonstrate my error and subsequent corrective action.
4. I have been driving on the MassPike from Somerville to Westfield 4 times per week for a month and my EZPASS transaction history shows this; I was not speeding and I do not speed. Is the EZPASS transition history showing my constant driving on the pike a good document to bring in order to demonstrate that I don't speed and frequently drive on the mass pike while adhering to posted laws?

Most of the posts here seem troll-like and I am not a troll and I simply want to defend myself - maybe I was in the wrong, maybe I was not...but I'd like to take advantage of the legal opportunity. I am a law abiding, tax paying and successfully employed female and would like to get any advice I could from officers, technical folks and anyone on here who is not a troll!

Thanks!

I appreciate your service :)

·
Duke of Campus Police
510 Posts
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Non-Issue, you got a warning, it means forget about it..........
4. No
Just go to the appeal and act like a "law abiding, tax paying and successfully employed female" and see what that gets ya!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What color car do you drive? Is it red by any chance? It is well known that red cars are stopped for speeding more than any other color. It is discrimination pure and simple. I would bring this up in court.
If you don't drive a red car, you're fucked.
not red!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Non-Issue, you got a warning, it means forget about it..........
4. No
Just go to the appeal and act like a "law abiding, tax paying and successfully employed female" and see what that gets ya!
I will...thank you for the response!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You have nothing to lose by appealing. Except for a half day of work obviously. Not sure you can obtain EzPass info. Wouldn't hurt to inquire though. Attend your appeal in business clothes. Be respectful and plead your case. The court will have your driving history. Most times the magistrate's decision is based on it. Good luck.
thanks for the response!

I just wonder what it means when people say records 'fall off the system' or aren't there after certain number of years, like 3, 7 or 10. When I request my own driving history from the MADOT website it says no record for any action or offense in 10 years. Is there a mothership database that shows everything?!

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,126 Posts
it's not clear to me what you are contributing.
You'd be better off being honest with people here and admitting you were speeding than lying about it. I'll buy the "I didn't think I was going that fast," but the "I don't think I was speeding" is a flat out lie. But hey if you think the guys and gals on this site are stupid, then by all means carry on.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts