Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:arrow: Anyone do any seatbelt grant enforcement duty over the Turkey day weekend? Let's hear some tactics & tales.

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
Look for the seatbelt violation first then find the mv infraction 8)

·
Registered
144 Posts
I was following a Honda Accord at 80+ mid morning and could see the car was packed with younger men. The stop reveals all five occupants (Holy Cross College Students) were not wearing their seatbelts. ID from everyone yields all occupants with a seatbelt gig. The driver got an extra gift for his heavy foot. Pay attention, this is where it gets good...... :naughty:
For those of you who have seen the TV ads "Click It or Ticket", I am the Trooper in those ads. So upon giving everyone their gig I asked if they had seen the ads on TV. Everyone knodded in agreement that they had seen the ads. To my response of, "The next time you see the ad, take a closer look. You might just see a familiar face!" \:D/
I wasn't on overtime enforcement but it just happened the other day so I thought I throw it in anyway. :santa:

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:arrow: I was set up at a notorious intersection and would pull over all the folks blowing through. Basically like shooting fish in a barrell. I would then tune in to, but not restricted to, the seatbelt usage. I was amazed at the chowderheads that didn't put on their belts after I cited them. DUH! I would inform them that I was doing seatbelt enforcement and it might be in their best interest to buckle up. Pissed through my new M-series book real fast..... Hey 357, gonna get your own series? :lol:

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
msp357 said:
For those of you who have seen the TV ads "Click It or Ticket", I am the Trooper in those ads. So upon giving everyone their gig I asked if they had seen the ads on TV. Everyone knodded in agreement that they had seen the ads. To my response of, "The next time you see the ad, take a closer look. You might just see a familiar face!" \:D/
I wasn't on overtime enforcement but it just happened the other day so I thought I throw it in anyway. :santa:
8) Cool a celebrity, wait now we need a green room :eek: for the high profile quest / members. And they didn't even need to ask for an autograph :D that's classic.

·
Registered
371 Posts
For those of you who have seen the TV ads "Click It or Ticket", I am the Trooper in those ads. So upon giving everyone their gig I asked if they had seen the ads on TV. Everyone knodded in agreement that they had seen the ads. To my response of, "The next time you see the ad, take a closer look. You might just see a familiar face!"
Excellant! Like Gil Said, Free Autograph! :L:

·
Subscribing Member
4,319 Posts
I did the Click it or Ticket over last weekend. Out of 50 something cites, only three were for no seatbelt.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:arrow: Hey Jimmy-could it be demographics??? Almost 50% of my V's were for no seatbelts. More affluence out there??? :?:

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,679 Posts
40th MPOC#309 said:
:arrow: Hey Jimmy-could it be demographics??? Almost 50% of my V's were for no seatbelts. More affluence out there??? :?:
Ya Dickie! You and the Sarge at 104/106 Intersection? Good thing I wasn't in the area, I would have pissed myself and crashed seeing you two heavy-handed nazi's there YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:shock:

P.S. Wonder if the Ayer Auction got cancelled today?
:wink:

G

·
I don't believe in the seat belt law at all. I don't wear one & never do unless it is inclemment weather like today was. I thought this was America & we were free to choose to buckle up if we like. It's just the insurance industry and the head injury foundation sucking the consumers wallets dry..........................AGAIN.

True, seatbelts do save lives but quit being pawns for the industry fellas. I don't enforce C90 but if I did, I would only gig someone if they broke the Fresh Prick law.

The stop that MSP did is righteous but to whack everybody else in the car is a bit beyond the normal scope of what the law intended. How about a little education first before we go making the insurance industry a little richer?

Gil, looking for the seatbelt vio. and then finding the M/V infraction is heading on the slippery slope. Kind of like doing a bad M/V inventory search, finding something & then calling it off & going for a warrant to search the car which should have been done in the first place. BAD BAD BAD ](*,)

·
Registered
36 Posts
If you'vr responded to a motor vehicle crash and seen a 16 year old's head smashed open because he was ejected from the car, then you know why we need seatbelt laws.

·
Registered
561 Posts
HousingCop said:
I don't believe in the seat belt law at all. I don't wear one & never do unless it is inclemment weather like today was. I thought this was America & we were free to choose to buckle up if we like. It's just the insurance industry and the head injury foundation sucking the consumers wallets dry..........................AGAIN.

How about a little education first before we go making the insurance industry a little richer?
HousingCop,

Speaking of education, I thought the seatbelt gig did NOT affect your insurance; it does not factor into the surcharge calculations as other tickets and at-fault crashes did, so how does this help the insurance industry? One would think that a seatbelt law would theoretically lower injuries resulting from motor vehicle accidents, therefore helping to keep insurance costs down.

-Mike :roll:

·
Registered
144 Posts
I think a $25 fine without a surcharge is better education than 6 years of rehab therapy so you can blow into a tube to tell your personal nurse you have to take a piss.
This is America. You do have the right not to wear your seatbelt but if you get stopped when you're not wearing it, you get a fine. That's your choice.
I suppose you don't put your kids in car seats unless its inclement weather? Hell, why not let them make the choice to wear their seatbelt, too.
HousingCop how about you and the other "non-conformists" start wearing your seatbelts and the next time you're in a crash you don't die or paralyze yourself. The insurance company doesn't have to pay your death/disablity claim and they in turn don't raise my premiums to pay for you. Novel idea, huh?

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
HousingCop said:
Gil, looking for the seatbelt vio. and then finding the M/V infraction is heading on the slippery slope. Kind of like doing a bad M/V inventory search, finding something & then calling it off & going for a warrant to search the car which should have been done in the first place. BAD BAD BAD ](*,)
Let's hear some tactics & tales.
It was a tactic, nothing more. For the amount of seatbelt gigs I gave out last year I can honestly say that I don't go hunting for them but if the dept. is giving me OT and they want seatbelt gigs they are going to get them. Call it selective enforcement but the only time I really issue for seatbelts is for kids, grants and assholes.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have to join the bandwagon on this one, I have seen too many accidents on 128 where everyone WALKS AWAY because they were wearing the seat belt. I used to wear a seatbelt everywhere EXCEPT the cruiser. That's changed, working the big road made me a believer.

Should it be a law? Well, as soon as your injuries from failing to wear a seatbelt don't affect my auto and health insurance rates, than sure, make it an option. But if I gotta pay for the unbelted moron who has to relearn how to chew his food, I'm going to gig him when I catch him for 90/13.

G

·
Like I said, this is America and you can do basically anything you want, even choose not to wear a seatbelt if you like. This is not Nazi Germany circa 1936. This is America, where you can choose to stick a needle in your arm or smoke crack cocaine till your heart explodes. Are these against the law? Certainly are.

We pay for people with head injuries for not wearing seatbelts as well as pay for these crackheads who stroke out from smoking rocks the size of softballs, so what's the difference?

It's the general public at large who gets C.90 tickets not cops. It's out of professional courtesy that we let brothers & sisters slide. If you were actually John Q Motoring Public and you were subjected to some of the V fines ($300+) and had to pay surcharges, I bet you would change your tune as to whom you give V's to.

Yes, seatbelts do save lives, I am not disputing that. They do save people from getting ejected in certain types of crashes as well. I have seen people thrown from cars and I have seen people trapped in the windows as the car rolls over on them. Had they been seatbelted, it may have made a difference. Of course, most of these crashes could have been prevented had not these jawbones been doing Mach 4 on residential side streets.

I choose not to wear one. As a patriotic American citizen, I don't see where my state government can TELL me what to do in the privacy of my own car. How about making it a referendum question and have the people who actually own a license and drive a car vote on it? Whichever way the vote goes, will be the way the law is written.

Just like Row V Wade. Why should a 70 year old man have a vote on a womans reproductive issue? I say all women of childbearing age should get a vote on that one, not men who can't reproduce & have a new vote every 12 years. Having men vote on that issue would be like me having a vote in the election of the Croation Parliment. I know this is a bit off topic but it's the only analogy I have at the moment.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Housing cop stated: "How about making it a referendum question and have the people who actually own a license and drive a car vote on it? Whichever way the vote goes, will be the way the law is written."

the people who actually own a license = Commonwealth of Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles!

The RMV owns the license, we simply possess it along with the privlege to operate. We play by the rules or we lose the privlege.

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
Buddy of mine got stopped by RISP the other day, the trooper said nothing about the fact that he was twenty over the limit just told him next time put the seatbelt on before you see me... Hit with $75 for no seatbelt, nothing else. It it a primary stop in Rhode Island?

·
MassCops Member
535 Posts
Rhode Island

Gil,
Police officers in Rhode Island must have a primary violation to cite for a seatbelt. They do not have to issue a citation for the primary violation but can choose only to issue a citation for the seatbelt as long as they articulate the primary violation.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts