Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im considering applying for a seasonal position. Plenty of overtime at current dept but considering this just for a change of pace & closer to home. Do most have good relationships with the reg officers?, do seasonals get the crap duties? Etc. Any input is appreciated.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I worked as a seasonal officer for Nantucket 95, 96, and 97. We were treated ok by the FT guys, no bad assignments, I worked a downtown foot patrol all three years 7p to 3a and saw plenty of action. I would recommend looking into seasonal positions if you are looking to get into LE.

·
Subscribing Member
2,201 Posts
No offense but why work for a town where they won't let you carry unless that has changed or is wrong. If you want to be a Seasonal Police Officer, go to Provincetown, ya its sounds silly, but I worked there for two years and it was great. You will do EVERYTHING, they will not shit on ya cause you are a summer cop and they won't tie your hands. I did foot and crusier patrol, I worked plainclothes, plainclothes unmarked patrol, there is a good amount of action there and you will have fun.

·
MassCops Member
134 Posts
If you are just breaking into LE, I would grab whatever summer position you can get. I've heard that P-town, Wellfleet, Nantucket, Dennis and Yarmouth are some of the better places to be a summer special. Some departments really tie the hands of their summer officers, and relegate them to traffic and parking. Quite a few of my friends (and myself) started out as a summer special. Just be really careful about making a bad name for yourself, and do the work that the supervisors ask you to. Don't try to be a hero and ruin your career before it even starts. The internal politics in this line of work will sometimes make or break you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input. I'm already in law enforcement in Boston but considering something part time closer to home. I hear ya about the hero stuff and the gung ho stuff is long gone.

·
Subscribing Member
2,201 Posts
Yarmouth does have year round reserves, they just hired as well as f/t. But they axed the summer officer thing a long time ago and Dennis, I'm not sure if they still have thiers.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hey all i applied at aquinnah pd for a spo position,haven't heard nothing yet but i did call them and the chief is at a leave of absence due to his waife having a baby,im trying to get into any spo position just to start off if anyone has advice just input thanks.

·
1,952 Posts
NBPD";p="63664 said:
Hey all i applied at aquinnah pd for a spo position,haven't heard nothing yet but i did call them and the chief is at a leave of absence due to his waife having a baby,im trying to get into any spo position just to start off if anyone has advice just input thanks.
I would think that if you haven't heard yet it isn't looking good. Most would have either started right now or at the end of the month near Memorial Day weekend.

·
Subscribing Member
1,209 Posts
I know they are popular in southern Maine. The town of Wells for example.......there population nearly triples every summer.

·
Subscribing Member
2,201 Posts
Acutally if you have not heard anything yet dont worry so much. Some Summer Police jobs don't start until june, some even in July.

·
Subscribing Member
292 Posts
Acutally if you have not heard anything yet dont worry so much. Some Summer Police jobs don't start until june, some even in July.
Yeh, I wouldn't worry about it. I've been at my summer job four years this year, and never started before late June. Often times departments wait for budget issues to go through this time of year, and decisions on number of officers...etc come after that. Don't fret...

·
Registered
547 Posts
I was thinking about doing a seasonal department this/next summer, but I don't really know where to go to get information about it. Anyone know?

·
Subscribing Member
292 Posts
I was thinking about doing a seasonal department this/next summer, but I don't really know where to go to get information about it. Anyone know?
Be more specific...you're probably too late for this summer though.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Well, an acquantance got a job on Martha's Vineyard and said that they might still be hiring. I just wanted to know WHO hired, would I just get in touch with the PD...any info really.

I realize it's probably too late for this summer (which is fine, I already have 2 jobs for the summer). Thanks!

·
Subscribing Member
2,201 Posts
Yeah, but it depends on the P.d Hull is mid may, and Ptown when I was there was mid to late may.

·
Registered
413 Posts
ROBOCOP1982";p="63925 said:
Yeh, I wouldn't worry about it. I've been at my summer job four years this year, and never started before late June. Often times departments wait for budget issues to go through this time of year, and decisions on number of officers...etc come after that. Don't fret...
yea, by the sounds of it, I'm getting on down at Wareham and they keep telling me that they'll be "calling me soon" as to when I need to qualify

G

·
I work on Martha's Vineyard and the departments usually start hiring in March, if you called all the towns their may still be openings. Edgartown, Oak Bluffs, Tisbury, West Tisbury, Chilmark and Aquinnah. Good Luck and it's a good stepping stone to a potential career, adds to the resume.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I worked down in Wareham as a Summer Special last year and will be doing the same this year. The FT guys, well most all of them really treat you well and don't "shit" on you. Thought that doesnt apply to the kiss ass of the group who usually get tagged as SGT or LT b/c you can't tell them apart from the REAL SGT or LT since their heads are up thier asses! Overall Wareham is a great dept to work for. Plenty of action, especially in Onset. Foot/Bike patrol are really the only options for us. Also, plenty of hours/details available, and we can carry. So us summer specials dont get the crap jobs. Though walking around by the beach in the summer in a dark uniform does suck! Good luck to all with their seasonal endeavours!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.