Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone out there share their policies on room searches. At the college I work at we wear two hats. Sometimes we are working as college administrators and others we are working as Policemen. This can get confusing when trying to figure out our restrictions. :eek:

·
Registered
8 Posts
pofc27, Without being familiar with your colleges policies and their idea of your roll the best thing to do is always think as a cop and remember that it is best to get consent. Where I work some of the Officers carry dept approved consent forms which we will have the individual sign. Also sometimes the little darlings will give you verbal consent, being more fearful of the schools punishment than a judges, not knowing that most of us know the little tricks for hiding contraband. I understand the two hat theology and it can be useful when dealing with just minor incidents (alcohol violations) but for suspicious odors, weapons and more serious situations cover your butt and try and get the consent or a warrent. One last issue that can gum up a call, which I'm sure you know about is the Resident Assistant, know a cop who had one screw up a rape case. Anyway, hope I was of some help. Good Luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the impute. They should have specific training just for campus police. No matter what you learn in the academy, working at a college always seems to confuse things. We are always the exception to the rule.

·
Registered
131 Posts
My advice would be always think like a cop no matter what. When searching a room either have consent or make sure you see something in plain view or atleast have probable cause. I wouldnt even be thinking as a college official when doing room searches unless your only going to be charging them through the college judicial system. You know how easy it is to get things thrown out of court on minor technicalities these days, you better make sure you do everything by the book and think like a cop when it comes to room searches.

·
Registered
334 Posts
fscpd903 said:
My advice would be always think like a cop no matter what. When searching a room either have consent or make sure you see something in plain view or atleast have probable cause. I wouldnt even be thinking as a college official when doing room searches unless your only going to be charging them through the college judicial system. You know how easy it is to get things thrown out of court on minor technicalities these days, you better make sure you do everything by the book and think like a cop when it comes to room searches.
I'd be careful on this one. How do you know you are only going to be charging through the college judicial system? Perhaps your intent is to charge them with a school administrative violation (noise complaint/alcohol V), but what happens when you open the door and find a GHB shop in the room?
-Eric

·
Subscribing Member
1,151 Posts
If the RA has already gone into the room on their authority as a college offical then thats when you stop thinking like a cop and go with college charges. Most of the RA's understand that once they key into a room and discover illegal activity that we can't proceed with criminal charges. We have programs that tell the RA's to call us first so we can conduct the incident in a police manner.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Can't let them R/A'S beat u to the punch(they are usless). U know as well as I do that there is always a way in the room( The Troopers teach u that)." Can I come in for a minute" Sure officer. in. \:D/ :D

·
Registered
131 Posts

maybe I didnt explain that properly.... By saying Unless your only going to be charging them through the college judicial system I basicly meant in those instances when an RA or something walks into the room opens a closet door and hands you a 12 ft pot plant, or when the RA decides to key into the room as your walking up to the door, these instances are what is meant by "wearing two hats" and when in no way you should be charging them through the court system. The bottom line is you should always be thinking like a cop no matter what... Mazz, Im sure you know what I mean by this..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.