Scott Brown preps for Guard training in Afghanistan | MassCops

Scott Brown preps for Guard training in Afghanistan

Discussion in 'Military News' started by kwflatbed, May 3, 2011.

1. kwflatbed

kwflatbed MassCops Angel Staff Member

[​IMG]

CALL OF DUTY: National Guard Lt. Col. and Sen. Scott Brown (R-Wrentham) says he will fulfill his service duties sometime this year in Afghanistan

U.S. Sen. Scott Brown said he’s headed to Afghanistan as part of his duties for the National Guard, saying the training will give him a better perspective on the ongoing war.
    Brown, who is a lieutenant colonel in the Massachusetts Army National Guard, requested to complete his required annual training in the war-torn country.
    “Doing so will help me to better understand our ongoing mission in that country, and provide me firsthand experience for my duties on the Senate Armed Services, Homeland Security and Veterans Affairs committees,” Brown said in a statement.

Full Story:
    Scott Brown preps for Guard training in Afghanistan - BostonHerald.com

2. 263FPD

263FPD MassCops Angel

I think Obama should go too.

3. Eagle13

Eagle13 #FYPM

Permanently? PLEASE!

4. 47turksinajar

47turksinajar MassCops Member

5. justanotherparatrooper

justanotherparatrooper Pissin' in liberals cheerio's for 40 years :) Staff Member

somethings we just shouldnt post IMHO

6. HistoryHound

HistoryHound Supporting Member

Shouldn't this be news after he gets back? To announce that he is going or that he even wants to go puts the troops at greater risk. He may only be the junior senator from Massachusetts, but he's still a senator. It's reasonable to presume, especially in light of recent events, that our enemies would take great pleause in killing a United States Senator. If he really wanted to go and if the safety of the troops was a priority; then, we shouldn't have heard about this until after he came back. They've got a hard enough job over there as it is, why make it any harder. I really hope he reconsiders and realizes that this isn't the smartest plan.

7. justanotherparatrooper

justanotherparatrooper Pissin' in liberals cheerio's for 40 years :) Staff Member

That too but I was refering to the post above mine...thinkin all we need is some rag pulling a screen shot and painting mc as something its not

8. CJIS

CJIS MassCops Member

I give him credit for going

9. HistoryHound

I think it's admirable that he wants to go, but it should have been kept quiet.

10. TRPDiesel

TRPDiesel MassCops Member

I disagree. None of my deployments to places that ended in "stan" were only two weeks. If he wants an accurate picture of what is transpiring in the AOR then he should actually deploy there for the normal duration that the other soldiers, sailors, marines, and airmen spend in country.

11. mpd61

mpd61 Retired Fed, Active Special

Oh Jeez here we go again....

At least he's going, and fuck who knows. Everybody is at risk over there. He's on the armed services committee and I don't see the rest of them or any other key figures falling over themselves to get there. Shit I'll go with him if I could!

12. HistoryHound

I didn't think of it from that point of view. When you put it like that, the whole thing comes across more like a "look at me" kind of thing than a "I want to know what it's really like" kind of thing. I don't know, either way, I guess my point is that this shouldn't have made it to the public.

13. mr_happy

mr_happy 5.56 Nato

the article says he's going on "AT" satus... :sleep:

let him either a. do a real tour b. stay REMF c. resign his commission

does he even attend drill? or is he afforded "special" privileges, obviously due to politics.

i'd love to see the pay records / 1379 for his unit.

he's guard, how can he deploy OCONUS on title 32 status, fully bypassing all the requirements of the "joes" before they get on the bird?

this reeks of using his military affiliation in conjunction with politics. rino...

14. MSP75

MSP75 Guest

He is in the JAG corps, so he can be of service almost anywhere. Even if he did a full deployment, Brown would be a LTC from JAG. He wouldn't be humping a pack. So I say let him do what he wants. It is still more than what 90% of Congress has done.

sent from Droid Incredible

15. TRPDiesel

Well I will agree that he has done more than the majority of congress and I feel that he is not a completely worthless politician but I do not agree with him being able to "do what he wants" simply because he is a LTC, Politician or Jag. If your wear the uniform you have obligations and this appears to me as him "playing" soldier. In my limited expirience those of us that are enlisted and his peers in the officer ranks did not have an opportunity to simply choose to go for a short little sightseeing tour of Afghanistan. I understand that his position would have him humping a desk instead of a ruck but I would respect the guy a hell of lot more if he wasn't simply passing thru and did what was expected of the rest of the military.

16. CPT Chaos

CPT Chaos Subscribing Member

He had the option of doing his two weeks at the Pentagon and he choose to do it in "The Stan". Good for him! Yes he will be riding a desk and not humping a ruck but so what. We don't need a Lieutenant Colonel JAG Officer on "the line". He will be actually serving and working by supporting, not taking the guided tour like other politicians. Last time I checked, there are no "Green Zones" in "The Stan" He is a great Officer. I've actually attended an OPSEC and an EO briefing conducted by him and he did my will during a MOBEX. He will be sweating his ass for 2 weeks and I hope he likes sand. Cut him some slack!

17. Inspector71

Inspector71 Duke of Campus Police

Seems to me that serving two weeks in theatre is a good thing more for his job on the armed services/veterans affairs committee, than as a JAG anyway. Why beat him up over it?

18. TRPDiesel

"Cut him some slack" "Why beat him up over it"

Really guys, that is beating up on him?

I just re-read my posts and out of principle I try to maintain decorum and refrain from involving myself in Masscops pissing contests that can be prevalent here. I guess to really break it down I am saying that this guy doesn't need an "attaboy" for doing his two weeks in Afghanistan. I have no doubt that he could be a good officer but just cause you did what your supposed to and got the t-shirt to prove it doesn't impress me much.

19. MSP75

MSP75 Guest

I'll agree that he doesn't need an attaboy for doing his job, but he is a politician who has to use every angle to battle the massive democRatic machine. He got elected to office, in enemy territory, to complete a partial term. So he doesn't have much time to build his federal political resume and to win the media wars.

20. mr_happy

mr_happy 5.56 Nato

smoke and mirrors from the rino....

that's all this is. he's playing both sides. i hope he's reading this. voted in only because he was the lesser evil... :smug:

---------- Post added at 21:32 ---------- Previous post was at 21:29 ----------

do you really think he's going to sit down and "consult" with a private about to get an article 15 for banging someone's wife or "make a case" for the big army against the same joe????

i will say i don't know what "type" of JAG lawyer he is...... (offense or defense)

21. MSP75

MSP75 Guest

Baby steps. The voters of the Commonwealth will not vote in a Conservative anytime soon (unless it is by mistake). Brown is a RINO, but lets take the (R). He is a honorable person and is not a flaming liberal like we usually have.

22. mr_happy

mr_happy 5.56 Nato

i want to see him do a years worth of MUTA 5, 6's and 2ea., three week ATs... then go through the SRP twice, go to MOB site, SRP again, do the pre-deployment training AGAIN, get issued his gear and then he can talk to me. otherwise, he can go on his sight seeing tour and the sheeple.... aka the conservative democrats of Mass will gladly vote for him and will loose their precious rino.

i am going to vote for democrats from now on. i don't feel like delaying the divorce any longer from big brother. :teeth_smile:

LOL

23. mpd61

mpd61 Retired Fed, Active Special

Mr.Happy is definately Mr. Grumpy!

24. CPT Chaos

CPT Chaos Subscribing Member

Here you go:

SRP = Soldier Readiness Processing: This is a PreDeployment event where you get everything checked out before you are allowed to deploy. (Medical & Dental, military records, legal, shots, wills, etc.)

MUTA = Multiple Unit Training Assembly: A MUTA is equal to a 4 hour pay period. (Standard drill weekend is a MUTA 4, SAT & SUN)

AT = Annual Training: Two weeks at a Military Base or facility for training. (Usually during the summer)

MOB = Mobilization Site / Mobilization Station: Military Base or facility for PreDeployment training. (Before you go to war, and yes you go through another SRP) Equipment is issued and you perform all of the PreDeployment Training that you have been doing for the last year on drill weekends all over again.

25. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Defense.....people seem to forget that he started his Guard career as enlisted, Infantry IIRC, so he has plenty of experience with MUTAs and lengthy AT periods.