scanner recommendations | MassCops

scanner recommendations

Discussion in 'Police Duty Gear For Sale / Wanted' started by cp., Apr 29, 2008.

1. cp.

cp. MassCops Member

Was looking to get a good scanner for my home, hoping to pick up Wilmington and some surrounding towns/cities. Can anyone recommend a place that I can buy a good scanner? Thanks.

2. rg1283

rg1283 MassCops Member

Staples still sells scanners

3. rokurmthr61

rokurmthr61 Guest

lol

What is your price range and what do you need to scan like 800 bands, 400, or u just want one that u can do all?

and how many channels do you want? it all depends really on your price range.

I've always used bearcat and i think they make a god scanner
    if you just want to listen to a couple channels i would suggest the BC350C its small cheap and does the job.

but as to where; well u can get them on line,

www.bearcatwarehouse.com
    www.scannermaster.com
    www.scannerworld.com

you can also get them at radio shack i've used you-do-it electronics
    www.youdoitelectronics.com

but let me know what you go with i let you know if thats a good price.

4. rokurmthr61

rokurmthr61 Guest

5. kttref

kttref New Member

I really thought (s)he meant a scanner to scan something into a computer....

6. Wiggum_1

Wiggum_1 MassCops Member

Uniden/Bearcat all the way.

7. rokurmthr61

rokurmthr61 Guest

"did you even read to post?" haha jk haha

8. kttref

kttref New Member

Nope...just read the title of the post :) Then when I started reading the post it made more sense...brat.

9. Dazy5

Dazy5 Filling Female Quota

I got mine at radio shack. They usually go on sale for $50.00 off, so watch the website if you want to get it there. I did have trouble finding the one i wanted in the stores though. I called five different RS's and only one had it. When I got there, it was the store model and ended up not working. I bought the Pro-167 and have never had a problem with it.

While on scanner topics, is there a special way to get worcester? I have the frequencies programed in, but it seems to start on one freq for 5 seconds, beep a few times and jump to another freq. haha... maybe I do have a problem with this scanner, but it only does that with Worc.

10. SinePari

SinePari Needs more complaints

Worcester has a trunked and frequency-hopping system, don't quote me but that's what I figured. I got the Uniden BCT15, and it picks up everything from CB, low band, and 800Mhz without changing anything. I had the radio room guys load all the freqs with a USB and a CD they have, and they save your profile and freqs in a folder so you can go back and update/change things as necessary. Bonus: everything's alphanumeric! So no more cheat sheets with freqs and towns, it's right there on the screen; worcester police, shrewsbury police, whatever.

Don't know how it works but I remember the scanner that I was issued did the same thing you're talking about, and I haven't had a problem with this one. It goes for about $230 brand new.

http://www.scannerworld.com/content/product/model/BCT15

11. 94c

94c Subscribing Member

Like Sine says, if your going to buy a scanner for Worcester and Most of MSP you need a trunking scanner.

It's basically a bunch of tiny channels inside a larger frequency that automatically jumps to the available talkgroup when the mike is keyed.

It's not like the lower bands that do everything on one channel. Because of the heavy radio traffic, it bounces to the first available openning.

The only way you can pick up everything is through trunking.

12. SinePari

I guess scannerworld.com is the way to go. I just saw the BCT15 on radioshack.com for $349! Like I said I got mine new for $230...that's a huge difference in price.

13. rokurmthr61

rokurmthr61 Guest

lol

haha
    well sorry but i bought mine for 202 so you got ripped and i hope you bought the software so you can program it and if you only have usb ports you have to buy the usb connection b/c uniden but blockers so that you can't use adaptors haha let me know if you need help it took me a while to program it to my liking

14. cp.

cp. MassCops Member

thx for everyones input, but this is really what I would like to do is scan my town and the surrounding towns with maybe a few of the MSP barracks close by. so could someone recommend a trunking model (in the $100 range) that would work. and yes I would want to order it online. Thanks again.

15. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

You guys are issued scanners, but your radio system problems aren't fixed? :confused:

16. PaulKersey

PaulKersey New Member

That was the fix. They can receive their calls by scanner.
    In Western Mass, two way communication is a luxury, not a right. :cool:

17. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Seriously, there is something perverse about that. Our radio system sucked in a big way for several years, but at least they didn't give us expensive toys we didn't need during that time; that would just be turning the knife. :FT:

18. Dazy5

Dazy5 Filling Female Quota

Thanks guys! I do have a trunking scanner. This is my first one, so I guess it just comes down to finding a few HOURS to read the manual and figure things out. The only thing I know how to do is program the frequencies I got off rfwiz. So far I really just listen to Shrewsbury. It would be nice to get some Worc. action every once in a a while, though. :)

19. SinePari

Like I said our radio room guys did all the programming in about 15 minutes so I'm all set. So I beat you in time savings and not having to read the manual haha. If you're an officer PM me and maybe I can get them to hook you up. If you're just using it in your house sorry but you're on your own.

No problems here around Worcester. The problem, which has been addressed by the admin, is in the towers dedicated to the 800Mhz system and hilly terrain out west. It's a big money issue that is not going to get fixed during one Colonel's tenure. The scanner is one that I paid for but transfered it to the new ride I got, and will take it with me everywhere I go.

20. m15dj

m15dj New Member

i bought mine at radioshack. Its one of the more exspensive ones....i can eaither mount it in my truck or on a desk. but they have some good models.

21. m15dj

m15dj New Member

yea radio shack! they dont have them out for display you have to ask for them. I live in boston when im at school and i got my scanner at the radioshack on Mass Ave. Most some stores have them others dont. and if you go to there website you can find them there also.

22. Nightstalker

Nightstalker MassCops Member

bc780xlt. it will cover mostly everything and is easy to use.