Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an interview with them next week and was wondering if anyone knows anything at all about their operation such as pay, environment, powers of arrest, etc. More importantly, does anyone know what the interview will be like. A Sgt. told me it would be a four or five person panel interview. Any pointers or advice?

Thanks a bunch.

-Micky :)

·
Subscribing Member
288 Posts
Pay is standard throughtout the commonwealth for CPO I, $498 a week with some change... They have a good dept, and an excellent station, very proactive from what I have seen.. If you dont have the SSPO or waivers, youll sit and dispatch until you go.. ( or so Ive been told) Im sure some of the others on here can give you better specifics!

·
Subscribing Member
2,280 Posts
Micky,
I dont know much about the interview but they will want you to go through the Special State Police Academy 16 weeks I believe it is up to now. They want all their new hires to go through this training not the reserve academy. The reason being is I think down the line they want to get accreditation.

Good luck

·
Subscribing Member
2,201 Posts
I interviewed there about a 1 and a half ago, typical Police interview. there were I think 4 or 5 people on the board, some patrol officers and a Sgt if I remember correctly. I was given a tour of the station, it is very nice. I know they are trying to get armed after the chief in his infinate wisdom took the guns away when he took over. I did not get the job but ended up going to the S.S.P.O for another agency some time later and ended up going through with two people that interviewed the same time I did, lol I guess they didnt like me. Anyway one of em did not like it there at all and left, and the other is now at Tuffts, so that should tell you something.

·
Subscribing Member
1,167 Posts
I've applied there before, and actually live in a few miles of the campus, and I go to school there too at night. I'm a Salem kid! The pay is the same as any other state department. I used to work with the Lieutenant there at another part-time job. He is a really great guy, very honest and pro-active. I am actually related as well, to someone who has been there for long long time. So I have a good deal of info on the place if you want to email me. I prefer email to private message if you can, thanks. I'd say it's a good place to get into if your looking to start out in law enforcement. If your looking to transfer, then it would be questionable because of pay. Personally, I would love to go work there A. because I would love to work a little bit more outdoors, and B. because it's closer to home. Unfortunately, with the state's campus police pay scale, I make more with 2 years on the job at the jail than my dear relative with 10+ years on the job. Kinda of a sad statement. But again, it's a great start. Get in touch, I'll answer some questions if you'd like.

·
Subscribing Member
288 Posts
Average starting pay is $540 (the posted minimum is $498 - but RARELY given)

Starting out with NO state experience the pay is 498.33 a week, there is NO bargaining or anything on that, the college DOES NOT get to decide how much money you would make... AFSCME( or whatever the hell is it) would flip out

·
Subscribing Member
1,167 Posts
Sergeants and above carry firearms for a year trial period. After a year the board will either extend the period, do away with them, or arm everyone.

·
Registered
147 Posts
EJK55,

Leave 115 alone 8) 8) 8) . 115 see me a friend of mine father is or was a sgt or Lt for Salem State. EJK55 who you calling the rookie now :p :p :p . How you liking 4-12

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
E, you the man. Now you're on the 4-12 shift! thatta boy, now you get to shag all the calls for awhile as the newbie on the shift. I know you're gonna like it because you'll be busy with restraints - get to rough a few more people up and never have to do a patrol - lord only knows eves doesn't lock anything up around here. You know that from first hand. You'll eat like a king too. Just remember your roots... you're a better Officer because you came from nights and were trained "properly" unlike the other 2 shifts... although my "FTO" on eves was sharp and good. (Thanks BD.)

:lol:

·
Subscribing Member
383 Posts
RPD931 said:
now you get to shag all the calls for awhile as the newbie on the shift.
As he should...its called being the "new jack." :p

RPD931 said:
get to rough a few more people up and never have to do a patrol - lord only knows eves doesn't lock anything up around here.
:-({|= Sorry, we were too busy being involved in physical confrontations and handling reports that the day shift passed off due to their "three hour shift change." Days and midnights did play a vital role at that facility. Evenings poured the concrete, layed the foundation, and did the constructing, sort of speak. Days and mids swept up the sawdust. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

RPD931 said:
You'll eat like a king too.
Well when the height/weight ratio of your shift is similar to some NFL linebacking corps, then yeah, there tends to be a lot of food around. :cake:

I have said enough already!! :D Thats my :2c: :eek:nfire:

·
Registered
148 Posts
more like "new jack off". But it is nice being outta of the minors and into to the "big leagues." Big Head, did you read my report? I sprayed my second victim the other night :cry:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.