Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone here know if the state gets pissed if you don't write enough tickets on a safety grant? If they do, how many do they usually want you to write? On a slow night I may write around 5. This is usually do to the fact that a field sobriety test takes up so much time and if you cut the person loose (B/C they are not intoxicated above the legal limit of course) then that is about 20 minutes of wasted time with no production. On a busy night (hopefully for my 11-3 grant tonight) I write around 10, mostly seatbelt violations with a warning for defective equipment. I would ask my sergeant's but I don't want to sound like a pansy. Thanks for any input.

·
Subscribing Member
583 Posts
masstroopers1 said:
Kepp your own notes about what you did
Not being an LEO, I can only answer out of common sense. But keeping your own notes sounds like the best advice. That way, if you are questioned about your level of activity, you can show that you made x number of stops and performed y number of FST's, even though you only wrote z number of tickets. Like MT1 said, if you are doing the right thing out there and documenting what you did, you should be all set!

Alex

·
Subscribing Member
4,347 Posts
You are supposed to write three per hour. I did six of them during Thanksgiving weekend and I did not meet the number. My understanding is that if you don't meet the quota you will not receive the grants in the future. I'm doing it again next Friday. I didn't get meny seatbelts though, mostly speeding.

·
Subscribing Member
4,347 Posts
They might be, but these are grants issued for specific enforcement activities. I know the GHSB said that three per hour is the goal.

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
I've got it tonight also 11-3 and if I write only one V and grab a drunk I am happy, I did what the grant was intended for I removed an intoxicated driver from the roadway.

My last outing I did not meet the goal either (3 or 4 shy) no one said a thing.

·
Registered
61 Posts
We were doing the GHSB grant over the summer... or at least I was. I think I was the only one doing them, but that was only because of a cruiser shortage. They were telling us to average three cites an hour, didn't matter if they were MVCI's or warnings, but to at least get a few seatbelts.

I used to do it after my 1600-2400, so writing 12 cites bewteen 0000 and 0400 was pretty much impossible. We didn't get the grant the next time around, but I'm not sure if it was because we didn't write enough V's, or if it was because we didn't use up all the money...

I'm gonna check around tonight and see if we got that "qouta" in writing from GHSB.

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
From the horses mouth and posted publicly....

CITATIONS AND PERFORMANCE MEASURES

The intent of each patrol is to generate stops resulting in written citations for violations. Verbal or written warnings are not considered sufficient for violators of the child passenger safety or safety belt law. Informational handouts may be distributed, but should not take the place of a citation.

Based on data from previous GHSB-funded mobilizations in Massachusetts, three stops per hour is the goal for enforcement activity under this grant program. During Click It or Ticket Mobilizations, a second goal is that a third of the stops made should generate a written citation for a safety belt or a child
passenger safety violation.

PAST PERFORMANCE

Performance with past GHSB grants will be considered in the selection of grant awards, including the establishment of a department safety belt policy.

http://www.massghsb.com/upload/pdfs/2003-04_Enf_Equip_RFA.pdf

G

·
What if you get the grant and you live in Central Massachusetts and not too many cars come through your town 2300-0700 hrs? 24 tix per shift sounds great in an urban area but in some towns, you may be lucky to see 24 cars a night.

What are you going to do, ticket Bessie the cow for not having her bell on properly??
:L:

I hope the Herald doesn't get a hold of this one. Quotas for enforcement is not in the best interest of the general motoring public. Educating the public that children should be buckled up should be the main purpose of this grant. Not whacking people for a law that should be repealed. :thumbdow:

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
Only a few cites tonight and a really colorful car, well it was colorful traveling 50+ mph with no rubber on the passenger side.

So officer what drew your attention to my clients vehicle...Well um DUH!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok, the 2300-0300 safety grant that I mentioned before this past friday night generated only 3 stops, 3 tickets....1 seatbelt/defective equipment, 1 speeding, and 1 stoplight...and man, i was digging. My town is located along route 1, I-95, route 1-A, and 110 and this is all i came up with in 4 hours. This is what I was asking before...what if it was just a slow night...on the safety grant activity form under comments I Specifically wrote "slow night due to icy roads, not much vehicle activity" I mean, I felt ashamed of my 3 stops in 4 hours, but it was really all I could muster up on a slow, icy night.....also, I did have a field sobriety that took up about 1/2 an hour and had to let go due to a lack of HGN amonst other factors. But really, who gets pissed???? For example, my sergeant specifically said "write a lot of tickets and don't roll over the friggin cruiser." Luckily, I didn't run into him before I left but I dont feel like getting blamed for losing a grant in the future. At least I didn't roll the cruiser.

·
Subscribing Member
771 Posts
evidence said:
I did have a field sobriety that took up about 1/2 an hour and had to let go due to a lack of HGN amonst other factors.
:?: 1/2 hour for field sobriety tests...what kind of tests are you doing? Are you doing DRE tests ?

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
BartPD said:
evidence said:
I did have a field sobriety that took up about 1/2 an hour and had to let go due to a lack of HGN amonst other factors.
:?: 1/2 hour for field sobriety tests...what kind of tests are you doing? Are you doing DRE tests ?
I was wondering that myself? Maybe I am not being as detailed but 15 mins seems to be sufficient in most cases for the following:

alphabet, finger to nose, one leg stand and 9 step walk and turn.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I should have used my wording a little better...the stop itself from stop to finish including running the individual through my slow laptop, field sobriety test, writing the citation, etc. etc. took about 25-30 minutes. I also assisted another officer with a LEAPS warrant hit on a RO and subsequent arrest which took about 20 minutes out of my time as well. All in all, I think that 4 hours for a grant is not enough time. Plus, I go back to the station 30 minutes before the end of the grant to enter the cites and narratives into the computer so that I can get out of there at 0300. Grants should be 4-6 hours.

1/2 hour for field sobriety tests...what kind of tests are you doing? Are you doing DRE tests ?

To answer the above question, I do HGN, ABCs, 9 step heel to toe, and one leg stand. Another reason this stop was so long was the individual was a little slow in the nogging and i had to demonstrate and explain every test at least 2 times.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts