Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im looking at purchasing a new vest. following the advice of members, i checked out ebay and found numerous zero g vests at very reasonable prices. however, it says they were manufactured in the year 1999.

i remember reading about problems with the velcro in the early issued zero gs. do you guys think buying a vest from 1999 that has never been used is a good idea?

thanks for any input

·
Thread Killa
6,056 Posts
1. I wouldn't buy a used old vest off of ebay? How much is or isn't your life worth.
2. You can not tell the condition or environment that the vests were kept it so their viability may not be great.
3. I know it sucks but I would pay retail for a fitted vest.
4. I still think the 5 year shelf life is a good thing to live by with vests.

im looking at purchasing a new vest. following the advice of members, i checked out ebay and found numerous zero g vests at very reasonable prices. however, it says they were manufactured in the year 1999.

i remember reading about problems with the velcro in the early issued zero gs. do you guys think buying a vest from 1999 that has never been used is a good idea?

thanks for any input

51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
has anybody had experience with the safariland zero bronze. i understand it may be a bit thicker and heavier, but it seems to be much cheaper.
also do most of you opt for level II or level 3

·
Woggalicious!
277 Posts
Tucker, I say this with all due respect. You're playing a dangerous game. Do not buy the vest because it's cheaper. Spend WHATEVER it costs, to buy a vest that fits, is comfortable, and stops the round you carry. Do Not buy something on ebay that's six years old. Do not buy a Safariland because it's what was suggested to you. Be smart and check out a few manufacturers (NOT SECOND CHANCE!)

Try these sales reps.
Marshall Grodberg (First Choice) 508-559-0777
Email: [email protected]
Rich Atwood (Safariland/ABA) 617-469-2121
Chris Canney (Point Blank/P.A.C.A.) 603-724-1588

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jsut have a question about sizing. do you usually add on a size from your waist like with the duty belt? also, i'm 6 feet tall, should i be ordering a 34 regular or long?

·
Thread Killa
6,056 Posts
Look if you are legitimate LE or Military or in a profession that actually requires a BPV then the answer is go to a store and buy the vest retail and get it fitted. If you are not the above then I would suggest don't buy any, you really don't need it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the reason i was asking was that galls seemed to have the best prices. i guess i will have to take a ride over to trippi's to check them out in person

·
Super Moderator
7,136 Posts
If you look at Galls, the Safariland vests that are on there are on clearance, and there isn't a wide selection...

I am a 34 waist, and I ended up getting fitted to a 38 vest. The front of the vest overlapped on the sides (which I personally don't like), so I had it sent back to Safariland for alterations.

I don't have a belly or a large chest, so your mileage may vary; that's just what happened with me.

Whoever you end up going to, if they have a state contract, ask for them to sell it to you for that price as opposed to retail. You will save a fair chunk of $$.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the help.... just went and got fitted today

unfortunately its gonna be a 6 week wait on the delivery as apparently safariland is backed up

·
Super Moderator
7,136 Posts
thanks for the help.... just went and got fitted today

unfortunately its gonna be a 6 week wait on the delivery as apparently safariland is backed up
Mine was about 2 months; reportedly that's normal for them as everything is made-to-order. Hopefully you won't need it for a certain date...

Out of curiosity, where did you go, what options did you get, and how much did you end up paying?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.