Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Define how “police work for the people?” And in your “teacher student” analogy, your missing the part where the student has a gun too.
Police exist to protect and keep people safe not to have total control over people, they’re not literally employees of people but they only exist to SERVE and protect the rest of society. No I didn’t miss anything because the man in car had no weapon so I’m confused as to where the “student” got their gun lol you can’t just remake an event to see what you want it to be real lol.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Police work for the people nobody should have the authority to threaten someones life because they aren’t listening to them police overstepped yes he could have complied and it would’ve went way smoother but not listening during a traffic stop is not a reason for your life to be at risk imagine if every time students didn’t listen or we’re disrespectful to their teachers they got a gun pulled on them.
I can tell you’re a recent grad. Paragraphs and punctuation are your friends…you fucking moron.

·
Registered
5 Posts
No. They exist to ENFORCE those laws society wants them to. They SERVE no one. They PROTECT as part of ENFORCING the law.
Well even then they are still serving the people, people want laws and they enforce them. There’s nothing wrong with serving people the same way we say that people in the military “served” police serve as well.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Well even then they are still serving the people, people want laws and they enforce them. There’s nothing wrong with serving people the same way we say that people in the military “served” police serve as well.
You are very ignoran.

·
MassCops Member
327 Posts
It’s amazing how often cops seem to be told (by others) that their job is “to protect and to serve“. I think we have LAPD to thank for that: it’s been going on ever since they put that slogan on the side of their radio cars (that’s what we call “cruisers” here on the Left Coast). I believe it was an LAPD internal slogan or Academy motto first, and later, was put on the side of their cars...... LACopper may know what year that happened. But I know that starting somewhere around the mid to late-1980’s, I began to hear from members of the public with whom I might have come into contact with for violations of the law - both big and small - that it was my job “to protect and serve”, and not be harrasseling them. My usual response to this was to point to the side of my radio car, and have them note the absence of the To Protect and To Serve platitude thereon..... and remind them that we were not LAPD.

I think it was about 1992-ish when my Department decided that we had to have a slogan on the side of our radio cars too. Because, well, if LAPD had one, then we had to have one also. So the Department sponsored a contest; anyone could submit a slogan, and the person who submitted the slogan that was eventually selected would win a gift certificate, or something like that. (I’m guessing that the losing entries were shredded, though it’d sure be fun to see/read all those losing suggestions now, 30 years later, when everyone who wrote them is retired and can’t be fanged for them.) My suggestion for a motto for the side of our radio cars was “To Hook and To Book”; I didn't win. I guess even thirty years ago, that was too politically incorrect.

On a more serious note: When I worked the streets of South Central L. A. in the 1980’s and 1990’s, we all quite often had our guns unholstered on traffic stops, as circumstances dictated. I wonder how many cops have been shot in the last twenty years because they were too afraid of the political ramifications of unholstering their gun in a situation where they thought it might later be second-guessed and judged as unnecessary or premature? Modern day police administrators who are contemplating or reviewing restrictive weapons deployment policies would do well to research the actual debriefing of the 1970 Newhall CHP shooting where four CHP Officers died. Those who don’t learn from history are bound to repeat it.

·
Subscribing Member
3,456 Posts
MSW, believe it or not it was 1955, when we adopted our motto, "To Protect And To Serve" and it's been on our patrol cars ever since.

(We just call them Patrol Cars, we really don't use the term "cruiser.")

·
MassCops Member
327 Posts
MSW, believe it or not it was 1955, when we adopted our motto, "To Protect And To Serve" and it's been on our patrol cars ever since.......
Wow, I never realized it had been on the side of your cars that long! I’m gonna have to watch some old Dragnet re-runs again.

My recollection is that the local miscreants in our FPK (now Century Stn) and LNX (now S.L.A. Stn) areas where I spent all my patrol time only started regurgitating your motto to us in the late 1980’s..... and within a few years - ‘92-‘93-ish - we had to have a motto on our cars too! Most of my peers loved my “To Hook and Book” motto suggestion, but I knew it would never be chosen.

·
Subscribing Member
3,456 Posts
It might be easier to find it on the Adam-12 TV show, which began in 1968.

Both Dragnet and Adam-12 are on MeTV for those youngsters who have never watched either Classic show.

Adam-12: Monday - Friday, 1700 and 1730
Dragnet: Monday - Friday, 0530 and 0600

21 - 30 of 30 Posts