Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever use this type of O.C? If so what are your thoughts on it? Good or bad? What is the best type of O.C

·
Registered
252 Posts
We're issued Sabre here at Dean College, some guys keep it, my is at the bottom of my locker, I use Punch II. I was sprayed during trainng with Capstun. That stuff sucks to get sprayed with, I was not having fun. :cry:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Never had a chance to use Sabre Red on the job. On the other hand about 2 years ago I did get a chance to spray fellow officers and in return one got a chance to spray me for training. It was definitely effective at 2,000,000 SHU.
I recently had to replace mine because it was past it's expiration date. For some reason I ended up getting the Pepper Ball spray. I had my girl friend spray me with it so I would know ahead of time if it was going to be effective before a life may depend on it. From what I can remember I think its pretty close to the effectiveness of the Sabre Red. The canister doesn't state what the SHU is.
The things that I really liked about the Pepper Ball spray is that the recovery time can be sped up rinsing with water unlike the Sabre Red. You don't have to shake the canister before use. Also I have 4 years before it's expiration date.

·
Thread Killa
6,056 Posts
By far a Tackleberry moment if ever there was one.

Tackleberry";p="69498 said:
I recently had to replace mine because it was past it's expiration date. For some reason I ended up getting the Pepper Ball spray. I had my girl friend spray me with it so I would know ahead of time if it was going to be effective before a life may depend on it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I used sabre red on saturday on a subject got combative when I tried to detain him for breach of peace and battery. I sprayed him with a 1 second burst. He immediately stopped his violent action and became compliant. The cuffs when on with no resistance.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Isn't there a percentage for pepper? I'm not sure if "pepper" is the active ingredient, but there is definately a percentage on those things - just get the highest %. I have "The Disabler" sitting in my truck.... i don't recall the %, but it's the highest the store had......

·
Subscribing Member
1,832 Posts
jasonbr said:
Isn't there a percentage for pepper? I'm not sure if "pepper" is the active ingredient, but there is definately a percentage on those things - just get the highest %. I have "The Disabler" sitting in my truck.... i don't recall the %, but it's the highest the store had......
From what I can recall from my DT is that the % has nothing to do with how "HOT" the spray is. It is the SHU's that matter. The higher the SHU's (Schoville Heat Units) the hotter it is and therefore the more painful it is. If I remember correctly the % has more to do with recovery time.

·
Subscribing Member
288 Posts
lofu said:
From what I can recall from my DT is that the % has nothing to do with how "HOT" the spray is. It is the SHU's that matter. The higher the SHU's (Schoville Heat Units) the hotter it is and therefore the more painful it is. If I remember correctly the % has more to do with recovery time.
SHU is a subjective test. In the test an individual places the product on the tongue, and describes how hot they think it is. ( a panel of a couple of testers do the same thing0
The percentage listed on OC containers is not a reliable indicator of heat either. Various ingredients are used in the production of OC, and the constitution can depend on whether or not the spray will be water based, or oil based. ( Often times you will oil based listed at 5% and water based listed at 10%)
Capsaicinoids concentration is the determination of active components of Oleoresin Capsicum. Capsaiciniods are the group of compounds that cause the burning sensation
Sabre Red has a 1.33% of Major Capsaicinoids..

For more info check http://www.federallaboratories.com/pdfs/resources/oc%20and%20pepper%20sprays.pdf

·
MassCops Member
535 Posts
Bearcat said:
Anyone ever use this type of O.C? If so what are your thoughts on it? Good or bad? What is the best type of O.C
This OC is good, especially if your department carries the taser!! If you spray a subject with OC and a taser, the electricity will be conducted through the spray. Sabre Red is one of the only ones that it compatible for taser!!
I don't want to sound like a commercial,lol!!

G

·
copcreamer said:
Let's not spark out on this one, I'm sure they all work fine.
Agreed.....I've been issued several different brands and potencies, all have usually worked, and all have occasionally not worked. It all depends on who you're spraying.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Delta784 said:
Agreed.....I've been issued several different brands and potencies, all have usually worked, and all have occasionally not worked. It all depends on who you're spraying.
I disagee Ive sprayed people with first defense and its had no effect but my partner has sprayed the same subject with a fox labs and it brought the suspect down. I think it depends on the formulation and strength of the spray and yes also with the subject sprayed. Look at the difference of heat and potentcy of the two sprays on the chart. Fox is hotter and more potent And sabre red is hotter and more potent than fox.

·
Super Moderator
7,148 Posts
GD said:
This OC is good, especially if your department carries the taser!! If you spray a subject with OC and a taser, the electricity will be conducted through the spray. Sabre Red is one of the only ones that it compatible for taser!!
I don't want to sound like a commercial,lol!!
That has to do with alcohol based propellant...it has the potential to light the suspect on fire if you spray them and then taser them. Thats why they say 'Non-Flammable Electronic Immobilization Device Compatible'.

Additionally, whenever you spray it, some of the OC will get stuck in the straw/nozzle and break down over time...I thought my OC was junk until I worked out the little bit that was stuck in the nozzle and found out...yup, it still works. ;)

·
Zombie Hunter
4,815 Posts
I had my girl friend spray me with it so I would know ahead of time if it was going to be effective before a life may depend on it.
Yeah, I did the same thing with a new off-duty .45ACP ammo I bought...I had my girlfriend put a couple of rounds into me so I could test its effectiveness........FREAK!

·
Registered
15 Posts
have any of you noticed a difference in strength between the sabre red H20 series and the sabre red black DPS cans? I dont know if its because of the water base but it seems that the H20 spray takes longer to incapaciate subjects than the sabre red oil based does and it doesnt affect the breathing as much. Maybe its just be but have any of you had a similar experience.

·
MassCops Member
80 Posts
i've been sprayed for re-cert with punch II and sabre blue and by far sabre blue was a worse experience..thats what I carry.

stay safe

1 - 18 of 18 Posts