Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about purchising my first firearm and was looking into getting a S&W Sigma 45cal. I have read a few posts in which people have said that the guns are unreliable and have been sent back to S&W for repairs but no one had actually said what the issues were. Just wondering if anyone is familiar with this weapon and what specific issues people have had with them.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I had a SW Sigma .40. It went 'bang' every time I pulled the trigger, but besides that, was nothing special. Had a very heavy and long trigger pull. I know they can be had very lightly used now for $200-300. I sold mine and got an HK, and was much happier.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am thinking about purchising my first firearm and was looking into getting a S&W Sigma 45cal. I have read a few posts in which people have said that the guns are unreliable and have been sent back to S&W for repairs but no one had actually said what the issues were. Just wondering if anyone is familiar with this weapon and what specific issues people have had with them.
People hate on them because its cool to do so. The Sigma as someone else mentioned is pretty much a Glcok knock off. That is no exaggeration as you can literally swap out the slide on a Glock with a Sigma; that demonstration was one of the more daming things in Glock's lawsuit against S&W.

Moving beyond that, the grip angle on the Sigma is very nice, though it seems to lead the trigger finger into the trigger guard...nice design for the ergonomics but you can find your finger slipping inside the guard as its intuitively comfortable.

Now the real question remains, would you be comfortable trusting your life and carrying a firearm that retails for about $200 on a lucky day? Thats really up to you, but for a cheap and dependable HD/Plinker it is not a bad deal at all.

·
Always entertained
2,550 Posts
My dept carried the Sigma .40 for many years, went over to the Glock mod 22 about 4 years ago. I personally didn't care for the Sigma due to the grip angle (it bit my hand). Never had a problem with malfunctions, (maybe a stovepipe once in a while but any autoloader does that with cheap training ammo) I think the Glock mod 22 is a much better fit for me and have fun at qualifications every 6 months. I liked the glock enough to buy a model 23 for my personel carry and shoot much better groups than I ever could with the Sigma.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,751 Posts
My previous department carried early version of Sigma and had a few problems. S&W then swapped them out for SW40E model (Enhanced) and it was like night and day. No more problems The Ergo's worked nice for me. I will freely admit that I'm no fan of Glock. I have owned a 23 and it worked fine. If it's got to be for the ultimate piece of mind, I'd go for the Sig 229, Smith M&P, or Springfield XD.

Bottom line is that the latest generation Sigma's E, VE, VGE are pretty good pistols for the $$$. Couple that with the latest promotion from S&W ($50 Cash rebate and two (2) free x-tra mags) and it's hard to beat.

BTW-Sigma .45? I don't believe they have ever catologued one:confused:

·
Super Moderator
7,167 Posts
Couple that with the latest promotion from S&W ($50 Cash rebate and two (2) free x-tra mags) and it's hard to beat.
It's not the and this time, but the or...$50 rebate or two free mags.

If you pick the free mags route, be prepared to wait for them...I bought a M&P in the middle of April and finally got the mags about two weeks ago.

It's still a good deal, though. :) I was considering buying another M&P, but I'm going to hold off until I actually need another gun.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,751 Posts
Here's a fairly good report where the newer Sigma is tested alongside a Glock for comparison;

http://www.gunblast.com/SWSigma9.htm

Bottom line is value...You can buy a Brand new Sigma right now for way less than half of a Glock, and I'll say it's 95% as good as a Glock.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts