Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a graduate of sspo #12. I've heard people say the sspo is reciprical to other states with out being specific or providing evidence supporting this. My question is, is there some information that I could obtain on the recoprosity of the sspo accademy to other states and were about I could go to obtain it? As well as some suggestions on how to take the necessary steps to go over to a municpality using my current academy and what that process is like if anyone has experience in this.

S.S.P.O. Class #12 (14 weeks) 530 hours total. On top of this I have the R.I.T. academy and numerous certifications/training. Several yrs employeed in the Law enforcement field as a warranted p.o. with a good record.

Respectfully,

SPorts2398 "Be Safe"

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I've been told Florida takes the SSPO academy. Here's a link to the NH PSTC page that lists the links to all the other State's POST Councils. You could look up the POST for the state you're interested in and ask them directly. http://www.pstc.nh.gov/links.htm

Here are two quotes from other people on a thread on the 16th SSPO.
From http://www.masscops.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2751

Having gone through both myself, I have to say that the SSPO is much better than the MPOC in every way. Now you cant use the SSPO for municipal in MA but you can in just about most the other states. When I was just out of the SSPO I did the research to every state and heard back from I think it was 37 that would take it as a lateral transfer. You would only need to do inservice or a lateral acdemy.
Yes, I worked with a guy who had an SSPO, and was hired as a Deputy Sheriff in NH, he just needed to take the law package through the NH academy, which was something like 4 weeks long.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,693 Posts
I know from personal contact with several POST (Peace Officer Standards Training) personnel that SSPO does exceed and is accepted by most states.Montana, Idaho, Colorado, Wyoming are definates. Also pretty sure New Mexico, Nevada, Washington, Oregon as well.

Most of these states out west and the southwest have FT academies that are 400-480 hours in length. (10-12 weeks) So it's easy to see why a quality academy like SSPO here in Mass would be accepted nearly everywhere else.
:rock:

·
Registered
42 Posts
www.iadlest.org

A friend of mine gave me this website. You can order a book called the Reciprocity Handbook, which is a book that costs about $50 from what I understand, and it tells you all the states that the SSPO transfers to, and what the requirements are that you need to fulfill in order to get certified in that particular state. I haven't ordered it, but I'm told that is what the contents are.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the response it has been very helpful. The IADLEST Reciprocity Handbook should be usefull. It actual states on the website that it is only $22.00 which is pretty reasonable for the information it provides:

Reciprocity provisions of states for officers who received training elsewhere.
Addresses and phone numbers in all 50 states.
Minimum basic training hours for each state.

Thanks again,

Sports2398

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.