Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
75th N.H.P.A.
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't get out on the road much anymore, so perhaps some guys who do can tell me if this is happening:
I recently reviewed an operating unlicensed report and found something odd:
When stopped, the driver said she had no driver's license. I make the assumption her immigration status made a license impossible.
She was the owner of the car.
The car's registration information returned with an "S" number where one used to find an "X" number next to "Lic 1."
When I ran the "S" number for a license, it returned the driver's name, DOB, address (even Type: L) but also said "NO STATUS FOUND ON RECORD." There was no picture and no issue or expiration date.
Has the RMV started issuing "S" numbers (perhaps when they register a car) even to people with no ability to get a driver's license?

·
Registered
401 Posts
I don't get out on the road much anymore, so perhaps some guys who do can tell me if this is happening:
I recently reviewed an operating unlicensed report and found something odd:
When stopped, the driver said she had no driver's license. I make the assumption her immigration status made a license impossible.
She was the owner of the car.
The car's registration information returned with an "S" number where one used to find an "X" number next to "Lic 1."
When I ran the "S" number for a license, it returned the driver's name, DOB, address (even Type: L) but also said "NO STATUS FOUND ON RECORD." There was no picture and no issue or expiration date.
Has the RMV started issuing "S" numbers (perhaps when they register a car) even to people with no ability to get a driver's license?
I've had the same issue and been curious about it. Whenever I talk to the driver they either have an out of state license or a foriegn one. Seems like they just transitioned from A numbers to S number, maybe in the hope these people will eventually get licenses. That way when they do they will only have an single S number rather than an S and possibly multiple A numbers

·
Registered
40 Posts
All of the ones that I have found come back like that are the liquor ID's they get when they cant get a license. Usually means they are some type of shitbird.

I also stopped a college student one night after finding her MA dl expired however she had an active one from CA. Things always get interesting with the college students.

·
Registered
20 Posts
From what I understand the registry stopped issuing A and X numbers a couple years ago and now assignes everything an S number. Something about cutting down on duplicates and streamlining. So an S number doesn't mean the person's applied for a license anymore, just that they had contact with the registry in some form. Always pay attention to the status, the license type info towards the bottom, and their KQ.

On a side not make sure you always run an R1 on A and X numbers because their status might show as suspended, which obviously makes a difference in charges. You can't click on then from the R3 screen but if you run the number it'll come back.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I also stopped a college student one night after finding her MA dl expired however she had an active one from CA. Things always get interesting with the college students.
It's fun that MA doesn't have reciprocity with every state, especially New England states. It's not uncommon for a upstanding citizen to get suspended for OUI and go to a neighbor to the north and get a license there. They think they're all free and clear but their right here is still suspended...

·
Registered
933 Posts
Got friend who got a "DWI" in NC while temporarily working there. Getting stopped for OUI in NC is totally different than the northeast but that's a different story. They can suspend your license for years on a first offense but give you a letter from the judge indicating what your "real" driving privileges are. The judge can set rules about your driving rights while suspended and rules for first offenders can be minimal but you are still "suspended for DWI" with enhanced penalties if you screw up during that period. If you get stopped I guess you show the letter to the police who confirm if you are within restrictions. Friend wanted to move back to MA for work and get a MA license. They checked in advance and showed the letter from the judge which basically showed almost no restrictions but MA said that if you are suspended for OUI in one state than you are also suspended in MA. They are still living in NC because they are stuck until the suspension runs out.

·
75th N.H.P.A.
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for the responses.

What with the RMV allowing people who cannot get licenses to register cars, I have recommended that officers fill out the RMV document to report owners that allow unlicensed drivers (themselves) to operate the cars that they own. In theory, the RMV can then revoke the vehicle registrations.

It is a mad world we live in, though this is only one tiny corner of the madness.

Reactions: Goose

·
I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.
18,820 Posts
I've seen S numbers on simple RMV ID cards and have yet to figure THAT out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.