Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
RUTGERS HOSTS COP KILLER
An NJLawman.com Editorial
http://njlawman.com/Articles/Article 2.htm

NJLawman.com

Tuesday, January 25, 2005 2:18 p.m.

This is one of the most offensive and angering stories we have covered since the inception of this website. However, this situation cannot go unaddressed, and we ask everyone to become involved by sending complaint emails using the information below. The link to this page is http://njlawman.com/Articles/Article 2.htm Please send it to everyone in your address book and ask for emails!

On Saturday, January 22, a panel discussion entitled "How to Survive on Parole and Probation" was held at the Rutgers School of Law at Camden. As would be expected, the panel consisted of persons from all walks of life including those who have experienced parole and probation.

Up to this point, we have no problem with a program designed to help the wayward find their way back and rejoin society as responsible citizens. In fact, we would support and would even help promote such an event.

But clearly, that was not the goal of organizers.

To speak on the experience of parole, of all the thousands of persons who have been on parole, the organizers chose Thomas Trantino.

Trantino brutally murdered two Lodi, New Jersey police officers in 1963. Their names were Peter Voto and Gary Tedesco.

He didn't just murder them. He and his partner first disarmed the two officers and then had them strip down to their underwear. The two lawmen were then then taunted and pistol-whipped presumably for some sick thrill. However, torturing the officers was not enough for these two sadistic animals.

After toying with their victims, these monsters murdered the two unarmed policemen who both left behind families and a massive wake of anguish. They were both shot, execution style, in the head.

Initially sentenced to death, Trantino's life was spared when the United States Supreme Court overturned the death penalty in 1972. He was paroled in 2001.

Rutgers University seems to have done everything possible to distance themselves from this event, but the bottom line is they knew what is was going to be about and they allowed it anyway.

Needless to say, the law enforcement community is beyond outraged, especially those with the Lodi Police Department.

"If we had more advanced notice, we would have gotten together with the state PBA and gone down there [to protest]," said Lodi Police Chief Vincent Caruso to one media outlet.

Chief, it would have been packed.

Okay, so what happened?

Rutgers Professor
Dr. Drew Humphries

Dr. Drew Humphries, a professor of criminology and sociology at Rutgers, was a co-sponsor of the event. According to the Star Ledger, she read a statement during the discussion saying, "the school's role was to provide 'an open forum for discussion, no matter how controversial.'"

Madam, why would such an event need to be controversial? Your only goal was to help people, right? After all, NorthJersey.com quoted you as saying, "the difficulties of people in parole and probation is important work, so we do it."

So, why would it need to be controversial?

How about it was because your intentions had nothing to do with helping those repaying their debt to society?

How about it was because controversy puts the name "Dr. Drew Humphries" in the news and elevates you in the world of academia?

How about a pompous, self-absorbed, elitist cares more about selling her books, seeing her name in the paper and promoting the twisted image she has of herself than lending aid to those in need?

At some point, Madam, you learned that New Jersey State Parole would not attend after learning that Trantino would be on the panel. Parole Board Spokesman Ed Bray told the Bergen Record, "We're not going to sit on a panel with Tom Trantino." (Kudos to you Mr. Bray and New Jersey State Parole)

How could this event even be held without representatives from State Parole? Did it ever occur to you, Madam, that they were the most relevant and needed organization for such a discussion? Of course it did, but you didn't care and you didn't cancel Trantino's appearance.

Then, you learned that the New Jersey Public Defender's Office pulled out after learning of Trantino's involvement. (Thank you PDO) This is the organization that represents the indigent of our society.

You still did not cancel Trantino.

Eventually, it became clear that story was no longer the event but who you chose to speak at the event.

Still, on with the seminar.

Not having representatives from law enforcement, the Public Defender's Office, and the Parole Board would surely lessen any benefit to be attained by those in attendance, but you went on with it. Why is that?

Bottom line, Madam, you did not care. You got your notoriety, and the people who could have really benefited from such an event were duped.

In an article by the Bergen Record, you were quoted as saying, "We recognize that Tommy is a controversial figure and for many people it's rubbing salt in very tender wounds," but you went on with it anyway. Why did you not choose a paroled child molester? After all, they need help too.

"Tommy is a very peaceful person," Humphries told the Bergen Record. "He's done a good job. I don't think he'll turn into an ax murderer."

Really?

Mrs. Humphries, did you bring your children to the event? Would you trust them with "Tommy" as you so cordially refer to him? Was your 15 minutes worth the anguish you caused the families of these two police officers?

You on your elite, ultra-left-wing, far-from-the-real-world academic planet are celebrated as an authority in your circles. You now have a cute little story to share at cocktail parties about how you took on the police.

Well, Madam, you didn't take on the police.

You took on two families. You took on a woman who lost her husband, children that lost their dad, and friends and colleagues of two good men that were left devastated by a monster.

You took on a brother and fellow officer, Andrew Voto, who later came upon the scene and saw his brother dead at the hands of your friend "Tommy."

And, everything you did was well within your rights, the rights which are protected by us.

But, know this.

We too have rights. We too have the right of expression and the right to protest. However, we will exercise them differently.

Instead of just holding a protest against Rutgers or Berkeley-educated college professors who have no business teaching courses about police, our protest will also be against you Dr. Humphries.

While you're trying to curl up with the latest book about how police are the root of all evil in the comfort of your Camden County home, you will hear shouts and bagpipes and chants from your sidewalk.

If need be, I will devote every page of this website to promoting this exercise of the free speech you value so deeply, to use your words, "no matter how controversial" it may be.

There are no threats, express or implied, anywhere in this article either. You can have all the anti-police seminars you want. You can accuse us of corruption, brutality, or anything you wish, and we'll just roll our eyes like we always do.

But when you bring a monster such as Trantino on to a stage and celebrate him, you have drawn our collective blood.

We are black and white, old and young, male and female. We come in all shapes and sizes, and we rally around each other in times of sorrow and need like you cannot even begin to imagine.

So, go ahead, schedule another one.

And to the Lodi Police Department.

You are not alone in your outrage. Should you ever put out the call for support on something like this, the 42 of you will become the largest police department in New Jersey for a day, for a week or for however long you need. Just say the word.

NJLawman.com

PS: Dr. Humphries, not that we expect it, but this article will come down if you publicly apologize for the pain you caused so many.

Click here to email Rutgers and express your outrage!

IMPORTANT: No matter how despicable you find this issue, you are representing the law enforcement community in this email whether you are on the job or not. Please be impassioned but professional.

Other Ways to Help:

Rutgers Students, please help get the word out on campus. Have other like minded students send emails. Switch out of Dr. Humphries' classes if possible.

Webmasters, you can link to this page or steal the entire article, but please help spread the word.

Cut and paste the link to this page in every online forum to which you belong.

Contact Rutgers Alumni and ask them to stop all alumni donations.

Send the link of this page to everyone in your address book.

Please, send your emails!

Cancel all speaking and teaching engagements you do at Rutgers. Give the reason.

Tell everyone about this issue.

If you have friends with children considering Rutgers, give them options.

·
Thread Killa
6,056 Posts
As an alumni of their graduate school I am appalled. I have canceled my alumni donations to the various schools, am in process of writing the dean of the graduate school to explain the WHY as well as the alumni association.

This scumbag should have been IN THE GROUND...not walking around giving "lectures" on surviving parole...and Rutgers should have had no part in it.
If you went to Rutgers, if you give to Rutgers, until they fire this academic small brain and apologize for what they have done, they should get NONE of your support.

http://www.alumni.rutgers.edu/

http://ur.rutgers.edu/addresses.shtml

http://www.crab.rutgers.edu/~humphri/
E-mail: [email protected]
Phone: 856-225-6073 Fax: 856-225-6602

·
Registered
370 Posts
He served 29 years for the torture and double murder of two cops.
I hope the town he lives in appreciates having him back.

·
Subscribing Member
364 Posts
This is the reply I was sent after firing off an email this morning:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had hoped that the misreporting of this event had been corrected, but apparently it has not. Rutgers Law School and Rutgers University DID NOT invite a convicted cop-killer to participate in a state supported panel. The panel was sponsored by a private religious group -- The Haddonfield Friends Meetting -- and the Rutgers professor who participated did so as a private member of this group. This group used a room at the Law School for their program. They requested it as any group can, and under the First Amendment we, as a public institution, can not and will not deny access because we may disagree with the content of their program. You, the police, or any other group who wish to challenge their ideas may use the space to disseminate your message.
I have the greatest sympathy for the families and colleagues of the two slain officers. However, your concerns should be addressed to the groups who did sponsor the program.
Sincerely, Rayman L. Solomon, Dean

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

cmagryan

G

·
Just sent:

To the ones participation in our countries decline,
A typical outrage from the "elite thinkers and instructors" of our great nation. It must be nice to remove yourself from other's tragedy. Especially the ones who put themselves in harms way for your safety. I pray that you never have to experience a tragedy and expect sympathy and support from your fellow citizens. Due to Trantino's actions, there will be 2 less police officers responding to an innocent's 911 call for help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I heard about this last week. i am disgusted that Rutgers would let this sub human speak there for ANY reason. I was born and raised in NJ and Rutgers was my 1st choice of college I wanted to go to. Needless to say I am glad I never went there as i would be so ashamed now.

My father was a police officer in NJ (ret.) and worked in the same county as these 2 officers that were killed. I remember my father telling me he was working when the broadcast came out of the killings. Growing up I always remember reading arcticles about Trantino. I sent my dad and three of my friends who are current police officers in the same county news arcticles of this. Not too happy were they.

In addition, I work in the Probation/Parole field and somewhat embarrassed that a criminal/killer of this nature would have the limelight.

Remember this is the same criminal that was scheduled to be executed and when the death penalty was abolished escaped death and then sued the parole baord to grant him release and the wacky NJ high court agreed he was released. amazing. I guess this is a great example of the flaws in life w/o parole.

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
cmagryan";p="55129 said:

I had hoped that the misreporting of this event had been corrected, but apparently it has not. Rutgers Law School and Rutgers University DID NOT invite a convicted cop-killer to participate in a state supported panel. The panel was sponsored by a private religious group -- The Haddonfield Friends Meetting -- and the Rutgers professor who participated did so as a private member of this group. This group used a room at the Law School for their program. They requested it as any group can, and under the First Amendment we, as a public institution, can not and will not deny access because we may disagree with the content of their program. You, the police, or any other group who wish to challenge their ideas may use the space to disseminate your message.
I have the greatest sympathy for the families and colleagues of the two slain officers. However, your concerns should be addressed to the groups who did sponsor the program.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

cmagryan
I asked Andrew about that and here is his email to me, note how helpful Officer.com has been.

----------------------------------

Gil,

That seems to be the carefully crafted, legally reviewed, cut-and-paste job they are sending to everyone.

Thanks for putting it up. This whole issue shouldn't even be an issue.

FYI, I emailed every major online law enforcement web site asking to help in exposing this. I even gave full permission to post the article on their sites. Officer.com, the largest LEO site, never even responded. This is like the 5th time I asked for help on a big issue.

Several others did help, which are listed on the Rutgers Issue Updates page.

Since they were taken over by a corporation, they do nothing with their site except refresh headlines and collect advertising. The cop who started that site seemed to be a radical for issues like this going against Ben & Jerry's and others.

Andrew

NJLawman.com
http://www.NJLawman.com

·
Thread Killa
6,056 Posts
I didn't know that Rutgers had to allow a religious group access to a state owned facility? WTF ? Any group can request access to a facility space and be given access to it? and tax dollars are being spent to keep that space lit and heated?

Wow that seems a little crazy.

cmagryan";p="55129 said:

cmagryan

G

·
My reply from an email I sent

Thank you for writing to me to express your concern over the appearance of Thomas Trantino at a January 22 event on the Rutgers-Camden campus. I respect your views on this matter and recognize the depth of emotion and outrage that any appearance by Mr. Trantino generates. Frankly, your outrage is justified, especially given the brutality with which two brave police officers were killed.

But Rutgers is bound, as a public university, to follow the First Amendment in regard to our policy allowing community organizations to use our facilities for lawful purposes. By law we cannot discriminate in allowing such events and speakers, despite the controversy they may generate or our own feelings about them.

It is important to state that Rutgers did not invite Mr. Trantino to speak on our campus, nor did the university sponsor the forum. The event was sponsored and produced by a religious organization, the Quaker Haddonfield Friends Meeting, which reserved space at Rutgers as hundreds of other organizations do every year. Let me add that the Rutgers faculty member who appeared on the panel participated as a community activity on her own.

I have immense admiration for our state's police officers, who risk their lives every day in protecting our families and communities. The families, friends, and colleagues of Sergeant Voto and Patrolman Tedesco, and indeed of all those killed in the line of duty, deserve our deepest sympathies. Please know that our allowing the event to be held was not meant in any way to condone Mr. Trantino or his actions, or to offend the men and women who serve and protect us.

Sincerely yours,

Richard L. McCormick
President

XXXXX wrote:

Being a retired sergeant with the Mass. Dept. of Corrections it sickens me to read and learn of this outrageous event. How can a valued institution such as Rutgers allow this event to occur on their property.
All law enforcement and criminal justice departments have been demoralized by this affair. Dr. Humphries should issue a public apology for glorifying this scum bag Trantino. It is apparent she exploited Trantino for her personal gain. We see through her agenda. May she burn in hell for her deed.

A retired officer

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Lately I really feel like nothing is going right...Cop-killers giving lectures, Michael Ross not dead yet, and two good people killed in cold blood. I think I need to go to bed. G'nite everyone. This article just adds to my frustration with people in general.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.