Run Ranger Run! | MassCops

Run Ranger Run!

Discussion in 'Fundraisers & Charity Events' started by LGriffin, Jan 7, 2012.

1. LGriffin

LGriffin Always Watching

I heard about this from JAP and was hoping some of you might want to help out an excellent cause. Thanks in advance!

My name is Cory Smith and for just under four years I have been in 3rd Battalion 75th Ranger Regiment, United States Army. I grew up in Shelbyville, IN and graduated from Indiana State University with a Bachelor's in Public Relations. In early January, I will be getting out of the military and coming back home to Indianapolis to pursue my MBA.

The reason I am writing to you is because of the fact of what challenges I, like many other veterans, will face when they come home. They will be coming home not from the battlefield, but into the civilian sector that is in an economic struggle. Because of the downsizing of the military, (roughly 55,000 in next five years just in the Army alone), many veterans who sacrificed so much, for so many, are now faced with a tough transition. Many have families who are going to need to be supported. I currently have a wife and child living in Lebanon, IN. It was as if I had to put my personal life on hold. The sacrifice is not just for this country but, it is actually a sacrifice of oneself. So when I get out in early January, I plan on doing something that will raise awareness about not only the challenge veterans coming home have, but those veterans that are homeless today (which according to National Coalition for Homeless Veterans, is roughly 107,000 any given night). I will be running from Columbus, GA, to Indianapolis, IN, traveling through Tennessee, Kentucky, and eventually arriving in Indiana. It will be in the middle of winter and it will be a challenge facing both the elements and fatigue. It will be a long, hard road, but in the end, I know that I will have my daughter waiting for me with open arms.

This challenge is not even as close to the challenges that will be faced by many other veterans. During my run, I am offering an open invitation for anyone to join me. To help spread the word. To show support.

The journey will cover over 565 miles of road, going over the mountains of Tennessee, in any given weather conditions. I thought what better way to give something to the city and country that I love, while accomplishing something I can cherish for the remainder of my life. I'll be able to tell my daughter, and maybe one day my grandchildren, a story of strong willpower and determination. I want to inspire veterans who may need to be shown that they can make it through the rough times.

Thank you for your time and hopefully I will see you on the road!

Sincerely,

Cory Smith
    http://www.gallantfew.org/index.cfm?pageId=32&Page=Run Ranger Run

2. Jill Thomas

Jill Thomas Guest

3. 7costanza

7costanza Supporting Member

Did you want to add something Jill or just quote LGriffin?

Nice work Sir, Good luck and Thank You For Your Service .

4. justanotherparatrooper

justanotherparatrooper Pissin' in liberals cheerio's for 40 years :) Staff Member

He's starting to hurt ( his knee's are giving him issues) so he can use all the support he can get.RLTW

7costanza likes this.
  5. LGriffin

LGriffin Always Watching

This guy is a machine. He's done 280 miles and he's only have way there but not giving up even though he's been taped up for days.

He's really feeling the cause. Please donate a few bucks if you can.

6. LGriffin

LGriffin Always Watching

Many have asked how to get one of the GallantFew wristbands. Send an email to [email protected] with your mailing address. The wristband is free, although a donation at a minimum cover postage would be appreciated.

Remember 20/20/20! Donate $20 and tell 20 friends to do it too!

7. Bobby

Bobby MassCops Member

I went to RIP, (Ranger Indoctrination Program), with Cory and know what he's all about. Hearing about his pledge when he got out was an inspiration to all of us at 3rd Ranger Bat. GallantFew is an amazing organization and they are always there. The best thing in the world is to know that there are people out there willing to help, even when the goin gets tough. I've also had the privilege to work with another organization called, TSAF Industries. http://tsafindustries.com TSAF, Meaning This Shit Aint Free, was created to honor every fallen Ranger and there families, past, present, and future. Both these organizations, along with many others, help men, women, and their friends and family. Im so thankful for people like Cory and others who've made sacrifices for those who are currently making sacrifices, those who are willing to make sacrifices, and those who have paid the ultimate sacrifice.