Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious... Is anyone on the board a Boston Rule 400 (not 400A) Special Police Officer? Correct me if I am wrong here, 400As are the city employees and 400s are the specials employed by private companies in place of security... I'm right on that, aren't I?

·
Subscribing Member
308 Posts
used to be a Boston Special Under Rule 400A. 400A covers employees of the City of Boston, or the Boston Housing Authority. The main difference between the 400 and 400A is the uniform restrictions, and the ability to transport prisoners. Also if you are armed under 400A you are allowed to carry a different firearm than people under 400.

·
Registered
186 Posts
It's in the mail along with the check.

The difference between Rule 400 and 400A is simple.

400A - Officers attempted to do overtime for assignments outside of their scope of power. Were advised that would not be a good idea. But the vast majority of them are good officers and would make good BPD Officers.

400 - Guards would give their right arm to work outside of their property powers and when found doing so BPD uses their own handcuffs on them.

Just remember the only good Red Stripe is the beer.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, that answers my next question nicely:

How do the 400/400A Specials get along with regular BPD officers?

If I were to base it all on MarkBoston's response, BPD doesn't particularly care for the 400 Specials. Anyone else want to weigh in?

·
Registered
186 Posts
400A Officers are full time academy trained and could go to almost any police department in the commonwealth based upon that department's hiring requirements. As I stated the majority of these officers are good people who do an excellent job within the scope of their authority. Like with any department there are a few problem children but that is for the internal process to take care of and not for an open board.

400 Guards who take a city approved training course that my senile aunt could pass. They are NON city employees and work for the concerns of private security companies in Boston. Most of the security companies I have seen would hire the dead if they thought putting the dead body on a post could pass muster. Of all the guards I have interacted with very few could work as a full time PO anywhere let alone Boston, the Mecca of law enforcement.

so in simple terms:

400A Good people who are trained properly and who operate with the scope of their authority.

400 You'll never hear on the radio..."No need to send backup, I got the security guard with me."

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So not too many 400 officers are MCJTC trained (its listed as an acceptable course, as if they needed to list it, for me it would go without saying) and BPD looks at them as armed guards. I know they have arrest (but not transport) authority... wanna explain how that works?

·
Subscribing Member
275 Posts
From what I remember, when an R400 makes an Arrest BPD gets notified and they arrainge for a transport along with going to the station to fill out paperwork and stuff.

I went to one of the academies that R400's train at. It's all right. Its just a reserve/intermittent course (200 hours) condensed into five weeks in a paramilitary environment. It's no state police academy or anything but it's not a humpty dumpty day school course either. The instructors told me that theyre looking to rewrite rule 400 and enhance the traning standards.

·
Subscribing Member
2,201 Posts
MarkBoston don't clump all the rule 400 people as bad. I have worked with some very good ones who are doing very well on town/city Police depts including myself. Its like any other dept/agency some are shit, most are good.

·
Registered
186 Posts
MarkBoston don't clump all the rule 400 people as bad. I have worked with some very good ones who are doing very well on town/city Police depts including myself. Its like any other dept/agency some are shit, most are good.
Of all the guards I have interacted with very few could work as a full time PO anywhere

Since I have not dealt with every single security guard who is currently working in Boston I made the above qualifying statement. Plus I never said they were bad unless you are saying that by being under trained, uneducated, and unmotivated they could be called bad. In my little book of life experiences I have found most security guards to be a liability cases just waiting to happen.

Private security forces are often poorly trained, underpaid, and inadequately screened. Would-be criminals often get jobs with private security because the jobs are easy to get, and put them in contact with potential victims, ATM machines, bank vaults, etc. Security firms rarely, if ever, check applicants' criminal records, military service records, personal references, previous employers, educational claims, or psychological fitness. Of course, this isn't an argument against private security per se, but rather for higher standards. But, since no agency keeps statistics on security guard crime, there's no way to choose the firm with the best record.

The above came off the web...I remember reading once that Mark David Chapman, the killer of John Lennon worked as a security guard as did Ted Bundy. Needless to say as a general rule I don't trust security guards half as far as I can throw them...maybe even less since the last one went 8' 5" when I threw him, but does sliding on the floor when he lands count as part of the distance?

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
I remember reading once that Mark David Chapman, the killer of John Lennon worked as a security guard as did Ted Bundy. Needless to say as a general rule I don't trust security guards half as far as I can throw them...
Interesting statement as a majority of Police Officers in this country have worked in the security field before becoming a PO....

·
Registered
186 Posts
I remember reading once that Mark David Chapman, the killer of John Lennon worked as a security guard as did Ted Bundy. Needless to say as a general rule I don't trust security guards half as far as I can throw them...
Interesting statement as a majority of Police Officers in this country have worked in the security field before becoming a PO....
and some still are and will always be just a security guard.

·
Out of the Loop
2,512 Posts
MarkBoston @ 17 Aug 2004 06:32 said:
400A Officers are full time academy trained and could go to almost any police department in the commonwealth based upon that department's hiring requirements... 400A Good people who are trained properly and who operate with the scope of their authority.
I'm rule 400A and I haven't gone to a full time academy yet. Hmmm...

Some of the above comments you made about 400s, MarkBoston, sound like a familiar type of hostility that I'm so accustomed to hearing with regard to GUARDS from certain other members of the 400A rule...

And the hierarchy of "real cop" status goes on!

·
Registered
186 Posts
MarkBoston @ 17 Aug 2004 06:32 said:
400A Officers are full time academy trained and could go to almost any police department in the commonwealth based upon that department's hiring requirements... 400A Good people who are trained properly and who operate with the scope of their authority.
I'm rule 400A and I haven't gone to a full time academy yet. Hmmm...

Some of the above comments you made about 400s, MarkBoston, sound like a familiar type of hostility that I'm so accustomed to hearing with regard to GUARDS from certain other members of the 400A rule...

actually you are somewhere in between as a unarmed site officer. Sorry if I spilled the beans.

·
Subscribing Member
1,209 Posts
No kiddin!
If we stayed within the scope of our dutys and repsected each other we could advance the "job" in both safety and effenicy a lot faster than keeping the "holyer than though" ego's and stop takeing out your wangs for pissing contests on every call.

The fire service and LE community constantly beat our selves up and hold our selves back by keeping up the BS ego's and infighting, instead of working together to get more cops and ff's out of the wel-fare/un-employment lines and on the job were they are needed. Both services need to work on the huge problem we face of going home in the same condition as you went to work in.

If anyone needs an example of pissing contests,look at whats going on between the NYPD ESU's and FDNY Rescue companys---------its insane. All this in fighting and what do we have to show for it? Bald heads and lots and lots of nothing.

The fire dont care, it will kill you the same, vollie or carrer.
The bullet is the same, muni,state,400-A etc.

Yup............To protect & serve...........not, piss& show. :roll:

Before you start your frantic type fest to reply mark...........this wasnt directed at you........it is directed to everyone that puts on a uniform on.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Spellcheck...Please the people must think some of us have flunked out of sixth grade.

definitely not definately

If we stayed within the scope of our dutys and repsected each other we could advance the "job" in both safety and effenicy a lot faster than keeping the "holyer than though" ego's and stop takeing out your wangs for pissing contests on every call.

Thank God I was never your instructor, you would still be after school.

FYI: I have a Johnson, not a Wang. Wang is the real small version and usually is Asian.

But all kidding aside, please check your documents before submitting them. If you do reports like this it will hurt your chances of ever being a "real" cop.

How's that for ego!

·
Out of the Loop
2,512 Posts
My faux pas... it's not like me to make a spelling mistake but I guess I'm not perfect; I'm only an unarmed non-full trained academy 400A officer. My spelling is usually so intact! Thank God I know how to punctuate flawlessly; commas are no joke, especially when you need to fill out those site log sheets!

I promise to be a better speller and site officer from now on... :roll:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.