Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
G

·
The "conventional wisdom" is the .380 is the minimum caliber for self-defense, but I'm not sold on it unless one is using a really hot load (Corbon, etc.). I'm also definitely not sold on Ruger autos; their first generations were such pieces of garbage that I've never been able to get past that in my head.

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
My father carries an old school Ruger for self defense in Fla. Everytime I go down I take him to the range, show him other handguns better suited for him and try to get him to switch..hes so damn stubborn though...but then again he also has an AK by his bed...I love Fla..

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had a Ruger P89 that I traded towards a Glock 22 in the early 90's. I sure miss that Ruger, accurate as hell and no problems.

·
Subscribing Member
6,688 Posts
i liked my little kel-tec till it broke last week :-(

the .380 going off in your hand seems to pack a punch.

their pretty much "point of aim" upper respiratory is my mark. great concealment, how they fair against a 6 foot plus , 350 pound attacker is debatable, but it beats a pointy stick :)

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,804 Posts
The "conventional wisdom" is the .380 is the minimum caliber for self-defense, but I'm not sold on it unless one is using a really hot load (Corbon, etc.). I'm also definitely not sold on Ruger autos; their first generations were such pieces of garbage that I've never been able to get past that in my head.
Absolute ditto with Bruce.
With the latest micro-compact-polymer 9mms (Glock 27, M&P, etc) there is no real reason to carry a .380 acp. Ruger autos have ALWAYS made me want to puke, they're uglier than a dead possum squashed all over Sea Street in Quincy! Yuck!

·
Subscribing Member
6,688 Posts
the P3AT is a great little gun.

was doing a little practice shooting (maybe the 3rd time since buying the gun last year ) and after about 2 clips the trigger went back and stayed there :(

looked like the frame was bulging around the trigger and a spring was popping out by the slide. pushed it back in and fired 2 more shots and that was it.

it's on it's way to Coco,FL. heard kel-tec was a good company and word is it should be fixed and back in a week. we'll see.

wondering if i should get the S&W 340 to have a back up to the back up ? :D

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have one. Six of the guys on my job bought this noisy cricket. o far, so good. We also got a decent lil inside the pants holster that has a spot for an extra magazine. Comfortable and does not stick out. Time will tell I guess.

G

·
Every time I look for a new gun, it all comes back to the revolver. Something about it is so cool.
I love revolvers, and if I were sure every off-duty armed encounter would be purely defensive, I'd carry one in a heartbeat.

However, with the proliferation of random shootings by people using large-capacity weapons, I'd feel much better with a 13-round capacity if I had to go on the offensive.

·
Registered
243 Posts
jyanis, where'd you pick yours up? Can't find them in Mass.
Interstate Arms. It has to be a department purchase as it is not on the MA approved roster. $200.00 got us the gun and a spare magazine.

Wasn't there a recall with the LCP? Every time I look for a new gun, it all comes back to the revolver. Something about it is so cool.
There was a recall. THey fixed the hammer mechanism. Took 2 weeks and they gave us a free magazine with a pinky extension for our trouble. Not bad!!

G

·
Glad I was steered away from the KelTec. Love my Seecamp though. I only actually stow it in my pocket if I am dressed up and don't wanna carry my ABSOLUTE favorite Glock 27. Try not to go too many places these days without something with me. Must be all the black helos Delta has been posting..........

G

·
Glad I was steered away from the KelTec. Love my Seecamp though. I only actually stow it in my pocket if I am dressed up and don't wanna carry my ABSOLUTE favorite Glock 27.
I got my G26 when we still carried 9mm's, now I'm just too cheap to upgrade to the G27. :cool:

G

·
I got my G26 when we still carried 9mm's, now I'm just too cheap to upgrade to the G27. :cool:
Plus it makes training so much easier when you go to the range with your issued 22 and your personal 27. Use the big mags and you have to load your baby mags that many fewer times. Doesn't make your hand hurt any less though........ ;)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Have any of you guys seen the Smith & Wesson 357 semiauto handgun? I didn't even know S&W produced such a firearm. If so, how were they to handle? A local PD I visited issue them. They look sharp. Also, what about Kahr Arms? I believe they're a local co out of Worcester. I'm looking to get a personnel gun other than my issued Glock 23.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts