Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
RTC 305 is tentatively scheduled for late september, early october, also heard some RUMORS that a lot of you guys with great scores got passed over for "others" with lower scores....so much for civil service if that's the case...but like I said, only rumor....

·
Registered
233 Posts
RTC 305 is tentatively scheduled for late september, early october, also heard some RUMORS that a lot of you guys with great scores got passed over for "others" with lower scores....so much for civil service if that's the case...but like I said, only rumor....
Unfortunately that is not a rumor it's more like an actual fact. I sure am glad I studied so hard. I heard of a Jan/Feb academy for the rest of "us" with good grades. Has anyone else heard this? A good freind of mine is a Capitain and he gives me all my info he says to just be patient and you will get in. Also as long as your background/drug screening comes back clean and you pass the PAT, just make it through the academy and your all set. Good luck to all the guys that took the March exam with me, just wait it out and we will get our turn in due time.
Matt

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Don't sweat it! It will come in time. I guess the same games are played at the state level as it is at the county level. I really can't say anything about how the state DOC runs, because I only worked for the county years ago. I can remember taking the test and almost waiting 1.5yrs to get on, only to find out that half the officers I started with never even took the test, only applied and knew somebody.
Well, good luck to you guys, corrections is not easy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Well just an FYI to all, rumor from inside (a D.I.) has told me that the next academy will be made up of women and minorities only, so some of you will be bypassed but you will see another academy in late January

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
Thats nice....isnt America built on The best person for the job...not we need 1 woman,1 african american, 1 mexican, 1 lesbain, 1 he/she......Having an academy made up of any specific race,gender or anything else " ONLY "is discrimination at its core.....

·
Registered
153 Posts
I scored a 95 on the exam. Anyone who scored a 96 and above deserves a spot before me. Should a person score lower than me be selected because they are of a different color, gender, or race than I am, then in my opinion (being an open minded, liberal person), is discrimination. I worked very hard to score as well as I did on the examination. Some may agree, some may not. I just feel a little dissapointed because I prepared and thought I did very well in the interview. Oh well. I have a good job in the meantime while the dream is on hold. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I totally agree. Anyone who scores better than me deserves the job more than I do. To give a job to someone who scores an 85 because of some discriminatory reason is ridiculous to me. I wonder how the COs on the job currently feel about getting a class full of people who are less qualified than the hundreds of others sitting at home because they are not minorities. Why have the civil service exam, the scores obviously are not very relevant in the hiring process. I don't agree with affirmative action, but I could handle it a lot better if you told me someone who also scored a 96 was being hired before me because of minority status, not someone who scored a 84.

·
Registered
88 Posts
It seems they are so concerned with discrimination that you wind up with reverse discrimination. Gotta love bureaucracy. Hope the wait pays off for all of you who scored well.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Interesting, considering that "whites" will be the "minority" by 2020 according to the U.S. Census bureau. My money is on a decent attorney challenging these things in a couple years if not sooner. The parody may not be met "on the job" so to speak, but it certainly is almost there in the general populous. I would definately make an argument lower test scores are not equal to racial parody, or a way to solve the issue. Civil Service is not the way to change social policy imo.

·
Always entertained
2,550 Posts
Hey any you guys got a Captain's License? You'll be a shoe in for Middlesex SD, Sheriff Jim has started up a Navy.

·
Banned
340 Posts
Had I not gone through the process myself I would've had a skewed view of this rumor. I am a combat vet who scored a 96 on the written exam. I was placed on 2 certification lists. The regular one asking for 150 or so officers, and another one seeking to hire 75 women and minorities.

When I went to Shirley for my interview I observed the majority of attendees as being white males. Many of whom were also veterans with scores ranging from 78 to 99. I've said this before and I will say it again. You cannot change the gender, nor the color you were born with, but you can certainly CHOOSE to become a vet.

Give yourselves a leg up by joining our great and wonderful military. You will not only be serving this great nation of ours, but will also be making yourselves more marketable in your chosen field. In full disclosure I will admit that I am currently assigned as a recruiter for the US Army reserves. (PM me if you would like to be put in boots. It's a new month and I'm on mission to get my 2 per month :mrgreen:)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just wan to make it clear that if anyone deserves preference it is Vets. You have earned the preference and a lot more. Thank you for your service.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am one of the "Others" or "Minorities" everyone is making reference to in this post. I have been reading the post within this forum to keep informed about the up coming academy. I think it is a little unfair to assume all of the others did not score as well. I scored a 96, passed all other testing and have a very clean background. I am looking forward to the academy (hopefully) and working with anyone willing and able to do the job.

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
I was hoping that a minority would put in there 2 cents because it is important to hear both sides of any issue. First off congratulations to you...Im sure you will do a great job, and im sure no one holds any illl will to you personally. In a field where everyone is trying to get the same job do you honestly feel that one individual should get it over someone else based on anything other than there credentials. ( other than Veteran status.. God Bless Them All, they deserve preference over everyone ) The statement was made that an " all minority " academy was being put through...I believe thats how we got on this subject...If this is true do you honestly think thats fair.....just my 2 cents...

·
Registered
153 Posts
i hold no grudge against anyone for being selected to this academy as they did not choose to be part of a system that may or may not give said person preferential treatment. i will happily reiterate my point however in that anyone, that means of any background, who scored higher than me on the exam deserves a spot before me. if someone below my score is given a spot before me then in my opinion, that is discrimination because i did not do anything to deserve to be skipped over. just my thoughts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I 100% agree it should be on merit alone, unless you are a vet and in that case they should have preference. I can certainly understand how you feel, as I have been passed over for many jobs because of my skin color. Any discrimination is not good no matter the race. Unfortunately here in Boston the only way to even the population is to use this system.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Im not am expert on EEO or fair labor practices but has anyone come out and said directly that there will be a class of specifically minorities and/or women?

If so, thats amazing and surprised no one has addressed it with outside sources.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does anyone know for sure when the next academy starts? I am going through the background check now. I have to give two weeks notice if leaving my present job so I am concerned if they give you enough lead time to do that. Also, I have heard they do a hair drug test. I keep my hair pretty short and I am a body builder so I shave my chest hair. If I don't have enough hair to test will that keep me from starting the academy if it starts in a couple of weeks? If I have to wait, when will the next academy start? Anyone know?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Not a body builder, but I don't have any body hair. I already completed background, pat test and for the drug test they shaved my underarm hair. If you don't have at least 100 strands you will have to let your hair somewhere grow out and be drug tested before they will clear you for the academy.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts