Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We recenly recieved a ltter from our Union attorney and he stated that Romney was trying to take Supervisors and anyone in the uniform that has anything to do with scheduling out of Collective Barganing.

Also heard that he wantsto get rid of Civil Service and Senority. Has anyone Hear of this?

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
3 Words...GOOD LUCK MITT!

·
Subscribing Member
1,322 Posts
The removing supervisors from the union has some merit. I've personally been in a situation (at a previous employer) where my supervisor was the Steward for our Local and basically made sure any grievance we had never went anywhere because he didn't want to look bad to management. They should be union but not in the same union.

As far as the Governor's plan to "get rid of civil service" that's a half-truth @ best. This proposal does NOT include Police and Fire; it refers to the hundreds of state and municipal jobs that are classified as Civil Service. This is a good thing because the Commonwealth has not offered an exam for positions like mine in years so technically even though I've completed my probationary period I am not covered under Civil Service. Seeing as HRD is not running exams for the grand majority of Civil Service positions for non-public safety positions it appear that the current system is outdated and been dead for years, Governor Romney just wants to give it a proper burial.

As far as "getting rid of seniority" what you are actually referring to is bumping. Bumping in the state means that anyone who gets laid off from their position can bump out anyone lower than them on the payscale REGARDLESS OF QUALIFICATIONS OR EXPERIENCE. So what this means is that if a Mental Health Worker III (Grade 13) gets laid off they can bump a Campus Police Officer I (Grade 12) out of his/her job. This can happen even if the CPO has extensive experience /education related to law enforcement and the MHW III doesn't know General Law from Cardinal Law. This bumping system is awful, trust me.

I just want to point out that when everyone gets mail from their union bashing Governor Romney try to keep an open and objective mind while not forgetting that unions have political agendas too. They just prefer to use our dues money to express their views.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,657 Posts
I agree with Jared,

1. Sgts/Lt's should have union protection, but not be in same unit as those they supervise. My Sgt who observes me daily, can't write my performance appraisals. The Chief, who sees me for 30 minutes a month, does. This is not right.

2. Civil service, aside from current tested positions, is antiquated and inconsistent at best.

3. Bumping is foolish and will cause lot's of headaches with consolidations and downsizing, just watch and see.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.