Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Romney getting rid of Civil Circus!!

7K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  mpd61 
I have two problems with civil service:

One, being that veterans and disabled veterans go directly to the top of the candidates list. I think that's ridiculous. The fact that someone has served in the military during a time of war will not, and does not make for a better police officer; and therefore they should not go to the top of the candidate list. I do understand giving veterans a point or two on the civil service test.

Two, being the current state of residence preference. I think that preference should give an extra point or two to a candidate for their home town and not others. Example if I scored a 98 and live in Andover my score for Andover should be a 100 and all other towns I choose should be a 98. On the last test I took I scored 100 and was number 76 on the candidate list in Lawrence, my second choice...just plain sick! Lawrence happened to hire 8 police officers over the course of those two years and went down to a score in the low 90's to hire their eighth officer. So because I live in a smaller town that didn't hire in those two years I never got a job.

The idea behind civil service is great the protection it offers police officers is great, but the system is flawed and desperately needs to be addressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.