RMV QUESTION | MassCops

RMV QUESTION

Discussion in 'Just Shootin' The Breeze' started by USAF286, Jan 26, 2021.

1. USAF286

USAF286 MassCops Member

Has anyone here been able to re-register a plate that has been canceled but still physically possess? I have a plate that was canceled in 2017 but I would like to have it made active on my current vehicle. I went to the RMV today and explained what I was trying to do and the clerk, who was actually very helpful and called their manager, said they don’t think it can be done since it’s been a few years, but said I should reach out to the registry on Newport Ave in Quincy. I attempted that, but since the RMV being the RMV and with corona going on, I didn’t get much accomplished.

Shoot me a PM if you have any RMV insight!

Be Safe!

RodneyFarva and Hush like this.
  2. Bloodhound

Bloodhound MassCops Member

Have tried the same, had zero luck which makes no sense to me. If I still possesses the canceled plates, and that number isn't being used, why should it matter. Because this is the RMV.

Goose and USAF286 like this.
  3. Goose

Goose The list is long but distinguished. Staff Member

Gotta keep the inmates busy? I tried keeping a set of plates years ago and Liberty Mutual wouldn't cancel my insurance policy on the vehicle.

Bloodhound likes this.
  4. Hush

Hush Moderator Staff Member

Per the RMV website regarding old plates:
    Once your registration is canceled, you must recycle or destroy your license plates. Plates can be cut in half and discarded; or you can recycle destroyed plates if your town accepts them at the local recycle center.

5. MPD703

MPD703 Subscribing Member

What if you requested the same plate as a vanity plate? It would cost you more but you would get the plates you want. I wonder if that would be a work around for the cancelation issue.

6. USAF286

USAF286 MassCops Member

That’s a good thought, but I don’t think they can do veteran vanity plates?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Bloodhound

Bloodhound MassCops Member

Nope. Vanity plates have a very specific set of criteria.

Vanity Plate Requirements:
    1. All vanity plates must start with at least two letters.
    2. Passenger, Camper, Livery, Bus, and Commercial vanity plates may contain a maximum of 6 characters (letters or numbers) and a minimum of 2 characters. Vanity plates for antique vehicles may contain a maximum of 4 characters and a minimum of 2 characters. Motorcycle vanity plates may contain a maximum of 5 characters and a minimum of 2 characters.
    3. Numbers cannot be used in the middle of a plate; they must come at the end. For example, AAA222 would be an acceptable Passenger vanity plate; AAA22A would not be acceptable. The first number used cannot be a "0."
    4. The letters "I," "O," "Q," and "U" can ONLY be used as part of a word that is clearly defined and correctly spelled. For example, "LQQK" would not be an acceptable registration number because it is not a correctly spelled word.
    5. No periods, spaces, or punctuation marks are allowed.
    6. Letter and/or number combinations that convey an offensive message or appear to duplicate an existing registration plate are not permitted.

8. Roy Fehler

Roy Fehler MassCops Member

Yes, they can.

9. kdk240

kdk240 MassCops Member

+1
    absolutely they do them.