Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe I'm covering old ground, but I'm sick of the RMV going down for a few hours every night. Granted, traffic does get lighter, but it doesn't mean the criminal element goes down. The RMV going down doesn't prohibit me from stopping cars, but it's an additional tool regarding suspended/revoked licenses or revoked plates. Just venting- I had a guy driving on a revoked license at 0630 this morning, but the good ol' RMV was still asleep and his status could not be confirmed. He was criminal app'd but he needed to wear the bracelets since its his 7th offense in two years.(another pet peeve).

With post Sept. 11th, one would think that a backup system could be created for 24 hr access.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Slow

When I worked over nights it seemed to run alot slower. I have had very little to no problems since being on the 3-11 shift. Thank goodness because I run and my officer run a ton of plates for a small town.

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
RMV is famous for that, there is always the "C" screen but I would hang my hat on data that is a week old.

·
Subscribing Member
2,280 Posts
Monday Nov 3rd around 3pm ish the RMV went down. I ran a CR1 on this guy I had pulled over because the Q2 ONE didnt tell me shit (other then the guy had no wms warrants and the car was not stolen) since it is connected live to the RMV. The guy had an active license on the CR1, so I ran a history check on the license. The history revealed a suspension payment default on 10/30/03 which 7 days back from 11/03 would be 10/27 so it wouldnt be in the Cs. I waited 30 or 40 minutes until the RMV went live again and his license indicated active still even though his history stated suspended default payment. I FUCKING HATE THE RMV. I cited the individual and let him go save the print out just for CYA purposes.

Another incident I ran a Q2 ONE on a operator/owner of a MV. The RMV license status came back with out a status. I had to run a R1/R3 screen to check to see his license status which was active. Note: This has happen to me several times in which I had to do R1/3/5 to check the status on a MV or license because the Q2 ONE did not reveal the status on a particular MV/person.

·
Zombie Hunter
4,815 Posts
I've said this before, the registry has absolutely no incentive to provide us with a decent system; they think of themselves as primarily revenue generating enterprise (ever wonder why they issue five thousand different license plates?). Why can't we call photos up on our laptops of RMV licenses? How many times have I let some dirtbag slide because he shows a license in the database, but has no ID on him? The registrar is a political position with considerable power and as far as he's concerned law enforcement is merely an annoyance to his percieved purpose. The registar's take is that if law enforcement wants some better system, they should pay for it. Never mind that it is the RMV's job to maintain these records. :x

·
Registered
70 Posts
Had the same problem this morning. Someone stopped a car at 06:30, the plate came back expired, but the information was only up to date as of 11/01/03. It’s ridiculous!!!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Sundays are the worst. The RMV goes down at about 0100 and sometimes doesn't come back up until about noon. Just because I am on a Sunday dayshift doesn't mean that I want to leave my cite book in my locker all day. I had a tag that appeared expired. Requested a check and was told that "RMV" is down. Dispatcher gave me the results of the R5C, "expired" current as of one week prior. I didn't have the car stopped, so I figured I'd check later and mail the owner a cite as opposed to issue the cite in good faith and get barked at by the magistrate during the appeal. That is another issue. The magistrates seem to find people "not responsible" for just about anything. I am tempted to say, "I know that they are not responsible. It was their irresponsibility that prompted me to cite them in the first place!"

·
Registered
70 Posts
How ironic our LEAPS/CJIS terminal just crashed, and the service center can’t figure out what the problem is. :x

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's a bit disheartening knowing when I go in tonight, the RMV is going to go Lewinsky on me, but typically it's back by 0130(I'm an optimist). In any event, I'm confident my MDT will be operational by the time the motoring degenerates with warrants and suspended licenses are operating their revoked vehicles on their Monday morning commutes.

·
Registered
115 Posts
With technology these days they can't figure out a way to update the system quicker or without interupting everyone's work for hours on end. Just tried to run someone and the RMV is down again. Glad to see NCIC still responds!!!

G

·
Good News, maybe. The RMV will be starting a test program that shows the Photo along w/ driver's info on the MDT. Of course, this is not because the RMV is so concerned about us. From what I gather, MA RMV was selected (by another agency who cares) along w/ a few other states to test it out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.