Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

121 - 140 of 244 Posts

·
MassCops Member
535 Posts
Just an FYI, anyone is the running for RISP if you want a chance DO NOT POST ANYTHING STUPID!! Just a friendly reminder!!

·
G-Rap made me do it!
2,729 Posts
Saw a a friend from high school that I had no idea was in the process. He got the good news recently I believe.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Did the academy start yet? I know they were saying it was supposed to start in June.
FOSTER, R.I. -- For 37 men and women from Rhode Island and Massachusetts, this drizzly morning was the end of their former lives, and, possibly, the beginning of a new career by December.
As the 2009 class of the Rhode Island State Police Training Academy began Monday morning, the new recruits were ordered into a run down the academy's roadway -- trotting in business suits and clutching duffel bags filled with their personal things, as academy leaders shouted at them to keep moving.
They filed into four rows in front of the academy classroom building, staring straight ahead in the rain, as Col. Brendan P. Doherty, his top commanders, and the academy's leaders lined up along the walkway and faced them silently. The recruits include former officers in the military and local police departments, four women and 10 members of minority groups.
Out of 1,923 applicants, "you 37 are characterized as the cream of the crop," the academy's commandant, Lt. Ernest C. Quarry Jr., said to them. "That was yesterday's news."
To be a Rhode Island state trooper, Quarry said, they will need to possess three things: "A good attitude, the desire to be a trooper, and number 3 -- What is it, Mulcahy?"
"Sir, heart, sir," responded recruit Courtney E. Mulcahy, of Dalton, Mass.
"A whole lot of heart!" Quarry boomed. "That's the only thing going to get you through this training academy."

Update: RI state police academy begins - Projo 7 to 7 News Blog | Rhode Island news | The Providence Journal

·
G-Rap made me do it!
2,729 Posts
Good luck!

·
Registered
22 Posts
lawman

i am sorry, i really wanted to say a new process will began Jan/Feb. i just got to excited!
best of luck to everyone! RISP is a great department.

·
Registered
18 Posts
for anyone who wants to know, RI has approved the 2010FY budget, which included money appropriated towards a recruitment to begin in June of 2010, which is sixty some odd thousand dollars. Also, a motion was passed to approve the 54th state police academy to start some time in the month of March 2011.

They are using a different methodology for their next recruitment in order to speed up the process....in other terms, they will be able to cut a few months off of the total time it usually takes to come up with recruits for a class. The process itself (written, agility, interview, etc.) will be the same, but the way they execute from their end will be much more efficient.

Approximately another twenty troopers will be due up for retirement during 2010, and there will be more troopers retiring by the end of 2009. Due to there not being an academy since 2004, there have been alot of troopers held back from taking promotions since there obviously needs to be a certain number of patrols on the road at all times. If you look back during the decade of the 1980's, this is where the problem in terms of numbers stemmed from....The early part of that decade saw one recruitment class, followed by several back to back academies during the late eighties and early nineties. As a result, there will only continue to be drastic vacancies left, resulting in situations like we have now where the RISP will have to run back-to-back academies just to keep status quo in personnel numbers.

·
Registered
18 Posts
...the problem will be in a couple more weeks, if recruits drop out, because then at that point it is too far into the academy to use alternates...

·
Registered
8 Posts
According to the RISP website, they are beginning a process later this summer (2010), anyone know what their staffing levels are like? How many they would hire, if any?

·
MassCops Member
535 Posts
According to the RISP website, they are beginning a process later this summer (2010), anyone know what their staffing levels are like? How many they would hire, if any?
Good luck.........RI is a mess and probably is an old message...!!:stomp:

121 - 140 of 244 Posts