Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

21 - 40 of 244 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Definitely.

Looks like this is going to happen fairly quickly with the application deadline sometime in August and it also states on the PAT requirements that the information is only viewable within a few weeks of the actual PAT.

·
Subscribing Member
1,059 Posts
Definitely.

Looks like this is going to happen fairly quickly with the application deadline sometime in August and it also states on the PAT requirements that the information is only viewable within a few weeks of the actual PAT.
Minimum Physical Requirements

Males 18-29

Vertical Jump - 20.5 inches
300m run - 56 seconds
Situps in 1 minute - 40 situps
Pushups - 33 pushups
1.5 mile run - 11 minutes 58 seconds

·
Registered
843 Posts
^ LOL the person who made that video is a tool.

Fifty bucks an app is a little pricey. Concidering how small the department is, and the likely hood that everyone in RI will apply, this is going to be a tough department to get on.

·
Registered
435 Posts
^ LOL the person who made that video is a tool.

Fifty bucks an app is a little pricey. Concidering how small the department is, and the likely hood that everyone in RI will apply, this is going to be a tough department to get on.
Hard isn't even the word last time they had a process they had like something crazy like 5000 applicants for less then 40 spots in the academy.
I think they said 37 roster spots this time around....
And yes they are a small dept. but they are considered the best of the best when it comes to state agencies.

·
Zombie Hunter
4,815 Posts
And yes they are a small dept. but they are considered the best of the best when it comes to state agencies.
Excuse me?

·
Registered
35 Posts
But in regards to the hiring practice they do it the correct way. They offer the test to any one who can PRE-QUALIFY, meaning x amount of college credits or military service, no severe criminal background violations etc. Then the physical is offered which washes out canidates, which is quite a few ( too many NY SYSTEMS in R.I., great sinful food but nonetheless a hazard to your health) then the background checks which, from I know from a P.O. in R.I. are very stringent where even a bad credit report could bounce you and that is a local p.d. not the RISP whose standards are even higher.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I got a card stating the application deadline, August 3, 2008, and the expected academy commencement to begin in June 2009. It does seem like their process will weed out a lot of people with the preliminary application, the exam, and then the PAT. The odds are definitely against us, but you'd never know unless you try.

·
Zombie Hunter
4,815 Posts
The odds are definitely against us, but you'd never know unless you try.
The RISP Troopers come from somewhere...they don't just spring from the earth fully-formed. Everyone interested should apply.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Any idea of how soon after the deadline closes they begin testing? I would be curious to know how much time I have to prepare if I were to apply.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Pardon my ignorance, as I have never taken a PT test before. Are the sit ups performed with the elbows 'pointed' forward toward the knees? I have heard of other PT tests where the arms are locked out in a straight line with hands behind the head, and must break the plane with the knees coming up, but the RISP booklet says elbows must -touch- the knees.

I would have edited my last post but didn't see an option to. I apologize if this has been answered before.

Doug

21 - 40 of 244 Posts