Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all,

As Campus Police officers we are all aware of the fine group called Security On Campus, Inc. To those of you who may not know, this is a group that came about because of the tragic death of Ms.Jeanne Ann Clery while attending Lehigh University. This group was co-founded by Connie & Howard Clery (Jeanne's parents).

To keep it short, to learn more about Security On Campus, Inc. click this link;
http://securityoncampus.org/

An e-mail list I run, received this e-mail from S. Daniel Carter of Security On Campus, Inc. I thought it was worthy of passing along to the larger campus police population.

----- Begin Text -----

----- Original Message -----
To: [email protected]
Sent: Wednesday, November 10, 2004 1:32 AM
Subject: [MassSpecialStatePolice] The Massachusetts Daily Collegian - article from S. Daniel Carter <[email protected]>

S. Daniel Carter <[email protected]> thought you would be interested in this article at The Massachusetts Daily Collegian (http://www.dailycollegian.com).

Sender's Comment:
"Riot UMass" the video game is one of the most disturbing things I've seen in a long time. In the heavily beer themed game, you are a UMass student who must either kill or be killed by police officers in riot gear.-Daniel Carter

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Student gets creative with 'Riot UMass' video game

http://www.dailycollegian.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2004/11/10/41918ddc166ce

------------------------------------------------------------------------

----- End Text -----

Here is a direct link to the "game" if you don't wish to read the article posted in The Massachusetts Daily Collegian. http://www.people.umass.edu/gcerulo/riotumass.html

Work safe my brothers and sisters...

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
The game definintely gives the rioters a false sense of hope. They play the game and beat/kill cops trying to quell the riot... they beat/kill hundreds of them in the game... But in reality if one of these kids hit 1 cop like that, the fellow officers would give him a wood shampooing to remember... Once 1 Officer goes down, its a free for all -- And cops win.

·
Subscribing Member
275 Posts
My friend has the program that's used to create the game. Im going to ask him to see if he want's to do that. Ill post it here if it ever goes through.

·
Subscribing Member
308 Posts
WTF?

The fact that some shirtbird in training actually took the time to create something like this tells me that these little reptiles have way too much time on their hands. Drinking, Drugging, and Vandalism the pillars of a college education in America these days

·
Subscribing Member
275 Posts
My friend has the program that's used to create the game. Im going to ask him to see if he want's to do that. Ill post it here if it ever goes through.
To be more specific, Im talking about creating a game where Police beat up rioting college kids.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Imagine the outcry if we just go to UMASS and turn too...

I've been there and they are just a bunch of "whining piss-pots"! Pill's bodydog was going crazy due to the "target-rich" environment. One lemming approached me after some schwanz had been golfed by a beer bottle stating "it's not fair...help him..."!

After we were through laughing, I advised the young citizen that we would call an ambulance for the damaged citizen. I immediately walked over to the damaged citizen and said "you're an ambulance"...then all the cops laughed some more. 8)

He didn't succumb, mores the pity.

·
Subscribing Member
1,151 Posts
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UMass videogame no laugh riot for police
By Adam Gorlick / Associated Press
Saturday, November 20, 2004

AMHERST -- Grant Cerulo of Ashland says he isn't trying to incite any riots or violence at the University of Massachusetts, even if the hero of the video game he created is a bomb-throwing, bare-knuckled UMass student on a mission to bloody up as many campus police officers as he can.

Inspired by clashes between students and campus police during the last two years as the Boston Red Sox approached the World Series, Cerulo's game turns historical fact into ultraviolent, cartoonish fiction. Players control the moves of a character who must either fight off throngs of club-wielding police or risk being beaten by them.

The action in "Riot UMass" is set against a caricature of the university's Southwest residential area, where about 100 students were arrested last month during raucous celebrations from the time the Red Sox entered the American League Championship Series until they won the World Series.

There were no major injuries reported in those incidents, and the vandalism was less than it had been the previous year, when students rioted while Boston was in the ALCS.

"I'm not trying to tell people to go out and get drunk and riot," Cerulo said. "The game is just for fun."

Administrators at the 24,000-student campus aren't taking the game so lightly.

"We find it regrettable and discouraging that a student had designed a game that involves making university police officers targets," said UMass spokesman Ed Blaguszewski. "It doesn't reflect well on the relationship we'd like to build between students, police and the community as a whole."

The game is accessed through the university's Internet site, which allows students to post their own Web pages. And Cerulo is within his First Amendment rights to have the game hosted there, Blaguszewski said.

"We don't have the authority to remove the game or censor it," Blaguszewski said. "That doesn't mean we endorse it or support its distribution -- we clearly don't. But based on the legal advice we received, it's not within our domain to remove the game."

Cerulo said no students, administrators or faculty members have asked him to remove the game.

Cerulo is an 18-year-old studying music at the Amherst campus and plays the trumpet in the school's marching band.

He said he designed the game out of boredom and posted it Oct. 20.

"I was sitting around talking to my roommate, and said 'I have the best idea,' and I just started making it," Cerulo said. "My roommate liked it, the people and the dorm liked it, and I just kept going with it."

Players of "Riot UMass" rack up points each time the student character -- who is wearing a Red Sox cap -- manages to bring down a campus police officer. Depending on the level he reaches, the character can use his bare hands, Molotov cocktails, a nail-spiked club or guns against the police.

Picking up beer bottles "fuels" the character's stamina, allowing him to endure more blows from police who attack him and other students with guns and nightsticks.

Bonus rounds give the character a few seconds to decimate a police car and allow him to get extra points by catching a student falling from a dormitory.

"It's violent and there's blood flying all over the place," Cerulo said. "It's controversial in a lot of ways. But I really do appreciate what the cops do here. It's not that serious of a message I'm trying to send out. It's just a silly thing."

Campus Police Chief Barbara O'Connor said the game is indicative of a lack of respect some students have for her force.

"There are students who have a sense of entitlement to this type of behavior," O'Connor said. "And it's disturbing that a student created this video game that encourages this kind of behavior against police."

Seamus Brennan, speaker of the undergraduate Student Senate, said most students he's spoken to say the game is a passing novelty.

"It's like a big, cheap laugh," Brennan said. "You play it once and go 'ha, ha, ha,' and that's it. It loses its appeal pretty quickly."

On the Net: "Riot UMass" video game: http://www.people.umass.edu/gcerulo/riotumass.html

·
Registered
114 Posts
"The game is accessed through the university's Internet site, which allows students to post their own Web pages. And Cerulo is within his First Amendment rights to have the game hosted there, Blaguszewski said"

Okay, I'm all for the 1st Amendment & free speech, but if the University is hosting the web site, paying for the servers & their maintenance, then they should be able to decide what is appropriate. Especially when public funds support this

If anyone of us sent an inappropriate message through the 'talk' mode on our cruiser laptops, we'd likely have a good talking to from our Chief. Free speech wouldn't be a factor. Public funds pay for the laptops & wireless services.

·
Subscribing Member
1,281 Posts
the game was stupid anyways, I'm pretty sure a janitor at mcdonalds could have created a more complex game program. Its just a stupid nerd that made a game in his room one night becuase he cant get girls. nothing to fret over.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.